seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions

Old October 29th 05, 09:04 PM
Russell Duffy

Default seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions

Greetings,

The subject pretty much says it all. I'm looking to hear from those who are
flying a 3300 Jabiru engine. I've heard that there were some problems in
the early days, but I was told that since about 2002, the engines have been
working very well, with no problems. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Again, I'm most interested in first hand info, from people who are actually
flying the engine.

Thanks,
Rusty

Old October 29th 05, 10:07 PM
Bret Ludwig

I don't know, but what does it do a Corvair doesn't, at a far more
rational price? If it were ATC'd and STC'd to replace say an O-200 or
similar it would be worth looking at....

Old October 29th 05, 11:30 PM
Russell Duffy

Let's please stick to the original question.
Rusty

oups.com...

Old October 30th 05, 12:51 AM
Morgans

"Russell Duffy" wrote in message
. ..
Let's please stick to the original question.

Getting an attitude is sure to get you more answers. Not.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 30th 05, 12:51 AM
abripl

Getting an attitude is sure to get you more answers. Not.

Obviously you don't have any relevant info.

Old October 30th 05, 02:28 AM

Not first hand........But one of the local guys converted his Q-2 from
the VW to the Jabiru 3300 and just loves it. Had a problem with one of
the exhaust valves at around 50 hours - IIRC - fixed under warranty and
reported to be nearing 500 hours.

I think they look a bit fragile, but "cute". His results seem to be
proving my impression wrong.

His reported performance numbers are better than some O-200 powered
versions.
==============
Leon McAtee

Old October 30th 05, 03:57 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Russell Duffy" wrote in message
.. .
Greetings,

The subject pretty much says it all. I'm looking to hear from those who
are flying a 3300 Jabiru engine. I've heard that there were some problems
in the early days, but I was told that since about 2002, the engines have
been working very well, with no problems. Can anyone confirm or deny
this? Again, I'm most interested in first hand info, from people who are
actually flying the engine.

Thanks,
Rusty

I have an acquaintance who has the 3300 on his Sonex. He has approximately
100 trouble-free hours on it. On the other hand, he installed an Aero-Carb
on it, and had lots 'o problems with it before he repaced it with the stock
carb...

You might try googling the Sonex board. I'd guess it probably has the
easiest to corral group of 3300 flyers. You may have to join to browse the
messages.

KB

Old October 30th 05, 09:01 AM
Rob Turk

"Russell Duffy" wrote in message
.. .
Greetings,

The subject pretty much says it all. I'm looking to hear from those who
are flying a 3300 Jabiru engine. I've heard that there were some problems
in the early days, but I was told that since about 2002, the engines have
been working very well, with no problems. Can anyone confirm or deny
this? Again, I'm most interested in first hand info, from people who are
actually flying the engine.

Thanks,
Rusty

Not yet flying, it will take another half year or so to complete our Rans
S6S. But we did run the engine and taxied around the block a few times. So
far no problems with 0.5 hours runtime ;-)

Check out the jabiruengines group on Yahoo, I'm sure you can find all
experiences (good and bad) on it. Most common issues have to do with
installation. Getting the cooling right on all cylinders can be a bit
tricky, but once you have that figured out the Jab3300 is a very reliable
and pleasant engine to fly with.

Rob

Old October 30th 05, 03:14 PM
Russell Duffy

Hi Leon,

Not first hand, but full credit nevertheless :-) To have 500 hours, it's
likely to be one of the older engines. I never heard what the problems used
to be, but knew were were some. Great to hear it's working well now.

Rusty

oups.com...

Old October 30th 05, 03:19 PM
Russell Duffy

Hi Kyle,

I've looked all through the Sonex archives, and just can't find anyone
complaining. By all accounts, the more recent engines are just dandy, but I
wanted to ask here to see if there was something I was missing. I actually
like the AeroCarb, but know they had some sticking problems with them.

Thanks,
Rusty