Gleb

Old June 10th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DWC_TT

Default Gleb

I'm not even a lurker in this group, but thought some here might want
to know this sad news.
http://www.durangoherald.com/article...e-in-collision

KF
Old June 10th 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

I'm not even a lurker in this group, but thought some here might want
to know this sad news.http://www.durangoherald.com/article...6109999/Couple...

Thanks for posting. This is awful news, and really makes me quite sad.
Gleb was one of my favorite heroes in life. I visited him and Wally a
few years back, and she was a real sweetheart. Gleb retained all his
spunky mannerisms till the end. They guy you see in The Sun Ship Game
was the guy you got in real life. The world just shrank 3 sizes.

-Paul
Old June 10th 11, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 10, 8:18*am, DWC_TT wrote:
I'm not even a lurker in this group, but thought some here might want
to know this sad news.http://www.durangoherald.com/article...6109999/Couple...

KF

Loved his charisma in Sunship game.

Tragic accident but you could not say he didnt have a full life.
The guy was amazing, racing driver glider pilot top of his game with
photography.

Sad loss.

Al
Old June 11th 11, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Jun 11, 3:18*am, DWC_TT wrote:
I'm not even a lurker in this group, but thought some here might want
to know this sad news.http://www.durangoherald.com/article...6109999/Couple...

Geez that's a messed up Subaru.

Last I heard, those early 90's Legacies would still pass current crash
tests. They were top rated at the time.
Old June 11th 11, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Article on Gleb's Life:

http://durangoherald.com/article/201...enaissance-man
Old June 11th 11, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Jun 11, 5:35*am, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Article on Gleb's Life:

http://durangoherald.com/article/201...960/0/s/Farewe...

And, as usual, it takes tagedy to get government to do the right
thing.
http://www.durangoherald.com/article...signal-changes
The most dangerous intersection in the county will soon be safer, but
that won't bring 2 highly reguarded residents back to life.
Old June 12th 11, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

On Jun 10, 11:18*am, DWC_TT wrote:
I'm not even a lurker in this group, but thought some here might want
to know this sad news.http://www.durangoherald.com/article...6109999/Couple...

KF

I am sad to hear this news. I am a new glider pilot, but it was easy
to see what a unique person Gleb was and I am sad that I was never
fortunate enough to meet him in person. His determination to be the
best at everything he did was immediately apparent and he succeeded in
many ways. All I can say is that I am glad it was quick, and that
they both went on the final glide together.

-tom
Old April 11th 12, 05:13 AM
Andrea Derujinsky Andrea Derujinsky is offline
Junior Member

Location: California

Should anyone have any Photographs of him on am working on a book of his photography and his amazing life.

I have a fan page set up on Facebook, and can receive information there or by email.

FB link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gleb-...92627300838987

Please "Like" his page and have others contact me. I will be glad to hear stories, or tell one!

Andrea Derujinsky
Old April 11th 12, 05:13 AM
Andrea Derujinsky Andrea Derujinsky is offline
Junior Member

Location: California

After retiring from ski instructor, at Purgatory with a life time ski pass he continued photography, and played the piano, daily. He took long walks with his doberman, his last one Red Rock. He began to archive his previous photographs of the modeling days, and made several prints, even had a show at a gallery in Durango, Open Shutter, where he would hang out on Saturdays and tell fantastic stories, of which were all true, yet hard to believe. He taught willing listeners the tricks to one trade or another of which he had a wealth of information, often more than most would know in any one subject much less so many. He remained true himself, and was as much the man he was in his youth, till the day he passed. Oddly in a sudden car crash, with his wife, and my other mother of 40+ years in the blink of an eye, the snap of a shutter. Gone but not forgotten, as he lives in all the pilots, the dream seekers, and adventurers.
Old April 11th 12, 05:14 AM
Andrea Derujinsky Andrea Derujinsky is offline
Junior Member

Location: California

Gleb had a full life in Durango, while he had the jewelry store, One Of a Kind, he was giving lessons in gliding. I was the wing runner, for lessons myself. nearly soloed but summer came to a quick conclusion, and I never did get to. I had wonderful flights with dad. I remember one at sunset, which is usually when I got my flight, days end, little lift. But true to form, he always saw the immense beauty in everything, and we would relish the setting sun. One sunset, the clouds gave way to light hale pelting the canopy, as they hit in stunning bursts of rose, and orange, to the tapping sound. I had the joy of a Chandal, and other aerodynamics, for the ground students to observe, it was lots of fun.

He keep the store open for quite some time and finally closed it after many years. All the while learning to become a proficient skier, and went onto giving lessons there also. He was a fantastic teacher. He taught me how to drive, sterling moss style, fly, ski, horseback ride, and learn to see through his vivid eye the beauty around me.