YouTube Video of the new Butterfly Vario

Old September 19th 12, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default YouTube Video of the new Butterfly Vario

Video flying down the Marble Mountains from Wright to Carter Turnpoints. Montageue, CA Soaring Site.

I have approximatley 20 flight hours on the Butterfly vario. It is a very nice instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0IVkHUnWU

The Butterfly provides power to a PowerFlarm Brick, the brick provides GPS & Flarm data to a LX Navigation 1606 Vario thru the DB9 ports, LX 1606 Flarm and airdata to the Craggy Aero Ultimate Le. Ray Laser Trackball controller on the stick for input to SeeYou Mobile PNA running on the Ultimate.

The Butterfly has it own GPS and gets Flarmdata from the PowerFlarm Brick. Butterfly vario has 4 screens, Cruise, Climb, Flarm, GOTo Nearest and Horizon and compass.

Richard
Old September 22nd 12, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What would it be like to use if you only had the Butterfly and PowerFLARM brick? When they get the logger certified would that basic combo provide Flarm, logging, vario, glide, wind and ground speed and selection of various turnpoints?
Old September 22nd 12, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, September 21, 2012 10:41:55 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
What would it be like to use if you only had the Butterfly and PowerFLARM brick? When they get the logger certified would that basic combo provide Flarm, logging, vario, glide, wind and ground speed and selection of various turnpoints?

The equipment you suggested would be fine for the items you listed. The issues is that there is only go to turnpoints and no tasking. You need a display with software for the tasking.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 22nd 12, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adrien

Thanks! Too bad I can hardly see the needle of the 1606 to compare with the Butterfly.
The good point is the LCD display seems really sunlight visible.

What does the red left button is for? quit thermal assistant?
Old September 23rd 12, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:32:03 AM UTC-7, Adrien wrote:
Thanks! Too bad I can hardly see the needle of the 1606 to compare with the Butterfly. The good point is the LCD display seems really sunlight visible. What does the red left button is for? quit thermal assistant?

Adrien,

The Butterfly is similar to the LX1606 but the speed to fly is faster and nervious, Butterfly is working on that issue. The Butterfly display has a Black Arrow for vario, blue ball for netto, green arrow for ave therman, grey arrow for MC setting, a grey bar to speed push/pull, blace arrow and number for wind speed and direction. The four number on the display can be configured seperately for a variety of values.

The left button on the Ray Laser stick controller is the Taster momentary switch for the LX1606 climb/cruise. There is also a trigger on the conrol stick for the mouse select function, right button PTT.

The Butterfly plugs directly into the RJ45 of the PowerFlarm Brick provides 12 and data, the DB9 on the brick provides Flarm and GPS data to the LX1606 then to the Ultimate Le.

The Butterfly and the Ultimate Le are the only true sunlight readable instruments in the panel. No reflection or glare. This can be seen about 4:43 minutes into the video.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 23rd 12, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adrien

Thanks for the specifics.
Do you take advantage of Butterfly calculations in the Ultimate? (i.e. do you feed this latter with Butterfly outputs? such as vario, baro alt, wind)

Is the wind in the Butterfly also quickly updated and accurate (as far as one can judge), thanks to all the sensors it has? especially in straight flight
Old September 23rd 12, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:50:55 AM UTC-7, Adrien wrote:
Thanks for the specifics. Do you take advantage of Butterfly calculations in the Ultimate? (i.e. do you feed this latter with Butterfly outputs? such as vario, baro alt, wind) Is the wind in the Butterfly also quickly updated and accurate (as far as one can judge), thanks to all the sensors it has? especially in straight flight

Adrien,

I don't use the butterfly vario data yet, I am waiting for the Data Module from Butterfly. The Butterfly is standalone at this point. I use PowerFlarm - LX1606 - Ultimate Le. The winds calculated with the SeeYou PNA on the Ultimate Le are very similar to the Butterfly Vario. The winds of both in my opinion are quick and accurate. I don't see any significant differences. The buad rate for the PowerFlarm to LX1606 to Ultimate is 38400. I think this is important for wind calculations, but I am not sure. Any baud rate teckies out there?

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 23rd 12, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 12:03:13 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:
[...]

Richard, Do any of the instruments in your panel give current wind direction and velocity while flying straight? Or, are they all requiring circling in thermal drift to calculate wind?

-Jim
Old September 24th 12, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 2:58:47 PM UTC-7, Jim wrote:
On Sunday, September 23, 2012 12:03:13 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote: On Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:50:55 AM UTC-7, Adrien wrote: Thanks for the specifics. Do you take advantage of Butterfly calculations in the Ultimate? (i.e. do you feed this latter with Butterfly outputs? such as vario, baro alt, wind) Is the wind in the Butterfly also quickly updated and accurate (as far as one can judge), thanks to all the sensors it has? especially in straight flight Adrien, I don't use the butterfly vario data yet, I am waiting for the Data Module from Butterfly. The Butterfly is standalone at this point. I use PowerFlarm - LX1606 - Ultimate Le. The winds calculated with the SeeYou PNA on the Ultimate Le are very similar to the Butterfly Vario. The winds of both in my opinion are quick and accurate. I don't see any significant differences. The buad rate for the PowerFlarm to LX1606 to Ultimate is 38400. I think this is important for wind calculations, but I am not sure. Any baud rate teckies out there? Richard www.craggyaero.com Richard, Do any of the instruments in your panel give current wind direction and velocity while flying straight? Or, are they all requiring circling in thermal drift to calculate wind? -Jim

I believe the PowerFlarm, LX Navigation 1606 Ultimate give winds if you make a slight course change. the Butterfly I believe straight because it has a compass. I have not noticed much difference with either set of instruments.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 25th 12, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:11:36 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I have a PowerFlarm and it does not give any wind info.