Cold Weather Winter Flying Q's

Old November 5th 04, 04:58 AM
Mike Rapoport

wrote in message
om...
What is HEET? Thanks.

Automobile gas line deicer. Some say Minnesotans drink the
stuff......!

Really HEET is not needed here anymore with our mandatory gasahol.

Beware there are two versions. Be sure to get deicer only with
isopropyl alcohol. Actually to be legal, you should use aviation
grade isopropyl alcohol. but I've never seen the stuff.

If you are using jet fuel for an MU-2 this doesn't apply. I don't
know what they use.

Mike
MU-2

I have a Helio Courier too, but mostly I was just interested in what it was
particularly since the context suggested that it was some widely availible
product to remove water from fuel. They use a additive called Prist to
remove water from jet fuel and also to prevent microbes from growing in the
fuel. What is the other version of HEET made from and what is it used for?
Diesel?

Mike
MU-2

Old November 5th 04, 02:15 PM
SelwayKid

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message ...
I may have to go to the Regina, SK, CA/Minnesota area this winter for 2
months.

First Is Snow How Deep Before Ski's Are Needed? Ware to obtain ski's for a
cessna 150?

Best Type of Oil Heater?

Should One Use a Cowl Warmer?

I Notice in the manual something about a winterization Kit Can I
install/uninstall it my self? Can you still buy the winterization kit? If so
ware is the best place to buy?

Any Tips For Landing on Ice And Snow!

Aside from the many good hints/tips you are getting, here are few
more. Make sure you are either wearing on have on board, WARM clothes
in the event of an engine failure and you end up freezing to death
while waiting for help!
When you taxi, the brake rotors will heat up and any blowing snow that
hits them will melt. When you do your run up, the brakes may freeze
and you can have a problem getting them unstuck. Same can happen when
you take off. when you touch down again, anticipate a lurch as one
wheel breaks lose before the other. May nothappen but I saw if often
enough in Canada and Norther Minnesota. The only time I ever saw a
C-150 leave a contrail was in GPZ in the pattern! OAT was about 0f.
Getting some preheat into the cockpit will help the windscreen defrost
and more importantly will warm the gyros and instruments so they will
not bind and cause premature wear and tear or total malfunction.
Ol Shy & Bashful

Any Extra Pre-Flight Inspections Needed For Extreme Cold Weather

Any other useful tips for that type of flying gladly accepted.

Old November 7th 04, 04:50 AM
Kevin

Nathan Young wrote in message . ..

Wear warm clothes in the plane, and have extra blankets for
passengers. Airplanes tend to be drafty, and when the OAT is below 0
deg F, it gets cold in a hurry.

Good point on the clothes. You need to think about what's going to
happen if you have an off airport landing. Treking even a mile when
it's cold out could have consequences you didn't plan for. So boots,
gloves, proper jackets, a hat.. all recommended items for winter
flying in Canada. Yes I know there isn't much room in a Cessna 150.
Stuff the extra things in the back if you have to. Turning into a
popsicle isn't much fun.
Old November 7th 04, 02:10 PM
Blueskies

http://www.alaska.faa.gov/ancfsdo/WintPrep/winter.htm

http://www.equipped.com/ak_cnda.htm#Alaskan

Old November 8th 04, 02:14 AM

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message ...
I may have to go to the Regina, SK, CA/Minnesota area this winter for 2
months.

First Is Snow How Deep Before Ski's Are Needed? Ware to obtain ski's for a
cessna 150?

Best Type of Oil Heater?

Should One Use a Cowl Warmer?

I Notice in the manual something about a winterization Kit Can I
install/uninstall it my self? Can you still buy the winterization kit? If so
ware is the best place to buy?

Any Tips For Landing on Ice And Snow!

Any Extra Pre-Flight Inspections Needed For Extreme Cold Weather

Any other useful tips for that type of flying gladly accepted.

On approach to a snowy runway you may find banks of snow
right at the threshold, depending on who plowed.

Even the wings may encounter the snow bank half way down
the nice runway..

Also land without brake usage planned. Making
speed control more importent.

I have never landed except on snow. But read in the
AOPA magazine and heard it said that half ice and half
pavement is the worst situation. eXCEPT all ice with
six inch ruts seems like the worst to me.
Old November 8th 04, 12:24 PM
Cub Driver

I have never landed except on snow. But read in the
AOPA magazine and heard it said that half ice and half
pavement is the worst situation. eXCEPT all ice with
six inch ruts seems like the worst to me.

Ice is very bad, no matter what's under it. And ice is what you
inevitably get in the Northeast at some point in the winter,
especially on a grass runway. (Pavement is likely to melt the ice
off.)

I have been blown sideways on the runway, and I have had to make turns
on ice so slick that I had to switch to one magneto in order to travel
slowly enough at idle to make the turn without sliding off.

One winter we had an instructor who brought her figure skates to kill
time on such a day. It certainly adds to the excitement of taxiing on
glare ice when you have to worry about mincing up the CFI on your way
to the gas pump.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old November 8th 04, 06:07 PM
PaulH

If you're parking it outside, you may have to do what the Alaska
pilots do when it gets to -40 - keep the battery indoors. Use Tanis
or Reiff cylnder heaters, plus a crankcase warmer. You'll also need
some way to warm the cabin somewhat - gyros, tach cables, and other
moving devices don't respond well to subzero starts.

Be aware that if you go down anywhere without rescue within a couple
of hours, recovery isn't likely before you freeze - those prairie
provinces have exceptional wind chills. Check with local pilots -
they will be your best source.

On the other hand, once you get it started, your 150 will climb like
crazy :-)

Cold weather ops Happy Dog Piloting 13 February 6th 04 07:45 PM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 01:07 AM
Cold Weather Flying Jose Vivanco Owning 27 October 16th 03 11:27 AM
Eurofighter - useless in cold weather and fog? Peter Kemp Military Aviation 9 September 13th 03 04:37 AM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM