How difficult, Jeb Corliss wing suit stunt?

Old February 11th 12, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
lynn

Default How difficult, Jeb Corliss wing suit stunt?

On Feb 9, 9:24*pm, John Doe wrote:
I am not a pilot, but familiar with flight simulation. I know that
gliding limits your ability to control altitude. This is extremely
risky?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFQc7...feature=colike

Mainly curious about how difficult that was.
Thanks.

Odds are he won't make it to his next birthday. Excess adrenalin is
addictive and causes one to take unnecessary risks.
Old February 11th 12, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Dave Doe

In article 39e02738-8040-4786-8f6c-
, , lynn
says...

On Feb 9, 9:24*pm, John Doe wrote:
I am not a pilot, but familiar with flight simulation. I know that
gliding limits your ability to control altitude. This is extremely
risky?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFQc7...feature=colike

Mainly curious about how difficult that was.
Thanks.

Odds are he won't make it to his next birthday. Excess adrenalin is
addictive and causes one to take unnecessary risks.

Nearly died a month or so ago, Jan 16th...
http://youtu.be/N2nlVUuDh_o

--
Duncan.
Old February 11th 12, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
John Doe[_4_]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...VRJowk#t=80 s

Mainly curious about how difficult that was.
Thanks.

Nearly died a month or so ago, Jan 16th...
http://youtu.be/N2nlVUuDh_o

This is about the trip to the hospital.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejFFy...feature=colike

The fact that he didn't die and that he was able to deploy his
shoot is incredible IMO. If he were clowning around, I might agree
with the prior "unnecessary risks" comment. But he knows what the
risks are. Our special forces take risks like that, perhaps for a
better purpose but not as much fun.
Old February 11th 12, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
John Doe[_4_]

Our special forces take risks like that, perhaps for a better
purpose

No disrespect intended, it just depends on the politic in charge.
Old February 11th 12, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Daryl

On 2/10/2012 9:12 PM, John Doe wrote:
Our special forces take risks like that, perhaps for a better
purpose

No disrespect intended, it just depends on the politic in charge.

Wrong, As dangerous as a Specops mission is, they are well
thought out and executed and normally are highly successful.

SF is rarely a bunch of hotdogs. They know their job and do it
probably beyond human capability but chance takers they aren't.
When it appears that it's impossible means they failed somewhere
along the way and their people die in the process. When it looks
almost supernatural in the success, it's from superior planning
and execution of the mission. Almost all missions have been
successful.

--
http://tvmoviesforfree.com
for free movies and Nostalgic TV. Tons of Military shows and
Old February 11th 12, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Keith W[_4_]

John Doe wrote:
Dave Doe hard work.ok wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

I am not a pilot, but familiar with flight simulation. I know
that gliding limits your ability to control altitude. This is
extremely risky?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...VRJowk#t=80 s

Mainly curious about how difficult that was.
Thanks.

Nearly died a month or so ago, Jan 16th...
http://youtu.be/N2nlVUuDh_o

This is about the trip to the hospital.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejFFy...feature=colike

The fact that he didn't die and that he was able to deploy his
shoot is incredible IMO. If he were clowning around, I might agree
with the prior "unnecessary risks" comment. But he knows what the
risks are. Our special forces take risks like that, perhaps for a
better purpose but not as much fun.

Actually they don't and anyone taking risks as extreme as that
would wash out in the selection process.

Keith

Old February 11th 12, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
[email protected][_2_]

To the original question: Not that difficult, mentally stressful far
beyond anything you will do in a glider and of course unforgiving of
small mistakes. Anybody fit, aggressive, and with reasonable aptitude
could give it a go after a few seasons jumping every weekend(provided
they were training for this as a goal.) There have been about a half
dozen wingsuit proximity deaths in the last few years, no idea how
many people are playing the game. If anyone wants to try understand
it takes a tremendous amount of time(money helps) to travel to these
places, learn lines, hike, wait weather, etc. Similar to racing
sailplanes, you can't do it if you only have 2 weeks vacation a year.
As the saying goes: Good pilots don't have real jobs...

Old February 11th 12, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
John Doe[_4_]

"Keith W" keithnospoofsplease demon.co.uk wrote:

John Doe wrote:
Dave Doe hard work.ok wrote:
John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

I am not a pilot, but familiar with flight simulation. I
know that gliding limits your ability to control altitude.
This is extremely risky?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...VRJowk#t=80 s

Mainly curious about how difficult that was.
Thanks.

Nearly died a month or so ago, Jan 16th...
http://youtu.be/N2nlVUuDh_o

This is about the trip to the hospital.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejFFy...feature=colike

The fact that he didn't die and that he was able to deploy his
shoot is incredible IMO. If he were clowning around, I might
agree with the prior "unnecessary risks" comment. But he knows
what the risks are. Our special forces take risks like that,
perhaps for a better purpose but not as much fun.

Actually they don't

I can't say for sure how you all do it in the United Kingdom, but
I suspect it's the same as here in the United States...
One reason our special forces troops are subjected to stuff like
waterboarding is to see how they will react/function/operate when
they think they are going to die. A significant risk of death is
not uncommon during a mission.

and anyone taking risks as extreme as that would wash out in the
selection process.

Liberal namby-pamby type? Gays in the military? Difficult to tell
by your posting history since apparently you are nym-shifting.

--

Keith

Old February 11th 12, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Vaughn

On 2/11/2012 9:51 AM, John Doe wrote:
you are nym-shifting.

Oh? May we assume that your name is really John Doe then?

Old February 11th 12, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
John Doe[_4_]

Speaking of difficulty... I am impressed at how difficult giving
somebody credit appears to be, here on UseNet. Calling someone a
"coward" is not uncommon, even though it's silly.

Let me try to illustrate the intended point another way. The stunt
starts about here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...VRJowk#t=80 s

Jeb Corliss is not just flying over terrain that is declining at
least as fast as his descent rate. What appears to me to be the
very difficult part is that he flies within 10 feet of the ground.
If that's not exceptionally difficult, you should be able to point
me to another video of someone else doing the same thing (or
similar, at some other location). What appears to me to be
unusually difficult about his stunt is that he has no escape
route. Some wingsuit users fly close mountain sides, but they can
abort simply by steering in the opposite direction at any time up
until the last second.

Stunt pilots killed in Polish air crash Stretch Aviation Photos 0 September 6th 07 04:40 PM
On making it difficult for everyone else Frank Whiteley Soaring 35 May 8th 07 05:52 PM
How to deal with a difficult DE? Mark Piloting 15 August 19th 04 12:21 AM
Difficult Strips C J Campbell Piloting 6 August 11th 04 08:04 PM
How to Stunt Circle a Barn. [email protected] Piloting 15 March 19th 04 03:14 AM