Problems in a commercial flight

Old March 14th 07, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Problems in a commercial flight

C J Campbell writes:

Just so you know, Msxmanic does not know any more about flight than you
do. He is not a pilot.

Correction: Actually, Mxsmanic knows a great deal, _despite_ not being a
pilot. This is particularly true with respect to large aircraft, since most
of the pilots here are familiar only with the tiny aircraft they fly, whereas
he has studied both small and large aircraft.

More to the point: If you see an error in anything I've said, feel free to
point it out.

He is just some nut who hangs out here and pretends to know what
he is talking about.

He doesn't have to pretend. Nor is he so insecure that he must engage in
personal attacks if someone else seems to know more.

Old March 14th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Nils Rostedt

A movement of a few centimetres at the wingtip is nothing to worry about.
Aircraft in flight may show various oscillating motions. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_dynamic_modes.

During landing, crosswind gusts may sometimes require significant corrective
input from the pilot. In some rare cases even a go-around is necessary if
the wind blows hard.

If there would be some technical problem, the pilots have a large set of
checklists, diagnostic procedures and automatic diagnostic systems available
which can pinpoint the problem and give instructions how to continue the
flight.

"megaMAX" wrote
Hello everybody,
I want to tell you what's happened during a Finnair flight from
Helsinki to Milan, I'm not an expert of flight.

During the entire flight, I noticed that the aircraft was continuosly
rolling to right, and the pilot was correcting every 10-20 seconds the
attitude. I noticed this, because I was looking to the right wing and
the wing was continuosly going down of few centimeters, and after few
seconds there was a slight correction.

During landing, the aircraft was definitively rolling clockwise, in
fact when we touched the ground, it was really yawing and sliding, and
the pilot had to take a decise correction in order to align the
aircraft to the track.

I'm really not an expert, but I was wondering:

- what could have been the problem? The right engine?
- the pilot behaved correctly, completing the flight until destination
and trying this landing? An intermediate step could have been better?
- we have been in some danger, during the flight or at the moment of
landing?
- this episodes are made pubblic in some register, or the companies
try to hide them as much as possible?

Thanks!
Max

Old March 14th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Soooo..

How come he (MX) was able to give a rather complete and correct
answer to the poster's question?

Care to give it a try?

Dave

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:44:15 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2007-03-13 17:43:50 -0700, megaMAX
said:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 01:18:33 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Most commercial flights are flown on autopilot for the vast majority of the
trip. Thus you would have seen autopilot corrections, not pilot corrections.

Just so you know, Msxmanic does not know any more about flight than you
do. He is not a pilot. He is just some nut who hangs out here and
pretends to know what he is talking about.

Old March 15th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I was flying in an Air Jamaica jet many years ago and while cruising
noticed large reddish flames from the exhaust of the Rolls Royce engine.
How "normal" would that be?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Old March 15th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Mar 14, 1:06 pm, megaMAX
wrote:
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:45:10 GMT, B A R R Y

wrote:
Hello everybody,
I want to tell you what's happened during a Finnair flight from
Helsinki to Milan, I'm not an expert of flight.

Obviously...

And so what? I'm just asking since I don't know if it's normal or
what...

Middle ear infection?

Old March 15th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Mar 15, 11:59 am, Dave wrote:
Soooo..

How come he (MX) was able to give a rather complete and correct
answer to the poster's question?

Care to give it a try?

More than possible that the poster had a middle ear infection.
Not having instruments and the training to use them while back among
the self loading cargo how could any-one tell what the aircraft was
doing?

Old March 15th 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** writes:

I was flying in an Air Jamaica jet many years ago and while cruising
noticed large reddish flames from the exhaust of the Rolls Royce engine.
How "normal" would that be?

It depends on the exact conditions. Were you cruising? Climbing?
Descending? What altitude? How did the engine sound? How long did the
flames last, and what did they look like, exactly?

Normally visible flames don't extend beyond the engine, although if you look
directly into the exhaust of a jet engine you may well be able to see glowing
internal parts. High-performance engines may glow externally as well. And of
course afterburners can produce long flames that extend well beyond the
engine. And so on.

There is jet fuel burning inside a running jet engine all the time, so a
visible flame isn't necessarily a cause for panic or concern.

Old March 15th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

george writes:

More than possible that the poster had a middle ear infection.

I don't see the connection between a middle-ear infection and what he saw or
believed.

Not having instruments and the training to use them while back among
the self loading cargo how could any-one tell what the aircraft was
doing?

One can estimate visually, but with limited visibility this is difficult.
Even pilots cannot depend on visual cues alone, which is why they have
instruments.

Old March 15th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Even pilots cannot depend on visual cues alone, which is why they have
instruments.

Yes, they can.
But what do I know, I only fly tiny planes.

-Kees

Old March 15th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Google Plex writes:

Under which of these conditions, exactly, would large reddish flames from the
exhaust of a Rolls Royce engine be 'normal'?

I don't know. Ask Rolls-Royce.

Does Air Jamaica use afterburners?

It's a question of the aircraft and engines, not the airline. Air France and
British Airways have, in the past.