Group poll: Favorite greases

Old May 24th 05, 07:39 PM
Jim Burns

Default Group poll: Favorite greases

....other than pork fat and olive oil

For those who do their own aircraft lubeing, which brand of MIL G-23827
Acft, Inst, Gear and Accuator Screw grease do you like? Why? any dislikes?

also for MIL G-3545 High temp/wheel bearing grease.

How old are these mil specs and have their been significant improvements
made in greases and should we consider a newer type grease??

Jim

Old May 24th 05, 11:14 PM
Rip

The mil spec for my plane (a Navion) is MIL-G-15, even older than the
references you provide. It cross references (after ALOT of digging) to
Aeroshell #6, which I use for everything requiring grease with the
exception of the prop. The old Hartzell gets Aeroshell #5 in the blades,
and Rheolube 374A in the A-38 bearing. Where the manual calls for 30
weight motor oil, I use LPS-2.

Rip

Old May 25th 05, 07:25 PM
Jim Burns

Thanks Mike,
I don't subscribe (yet). Can you give me some insight into the article and
it's authors viewpoints?
Jim

. net...

Old May 25th 05, 08:12 PM
Mike Rapoport

Wheel Bearings:
Shell 22 for high performance (high altitude) airplanes because of its low
temperature performance.
Shell 5 for others because of high corrosion resistance and the high
viscosisity of the base oil

General airframe grease gun applications

Shell 7 for high performance again because of low temperature performance
Shell 6 for others

Gearboxes and motors

Shell 22 or what is recommended by the MM.

Don't mix greases
Keep things CLEAN.
When in doubt, use what is recommended in the MM.

I highly recommend Light Plane Maitenance The cost of the subscription will
be quickly recovered and they touch on a lot of interesting topics. It is a
must for the piston GA owner IMHO

Mike
MU-2

Old May 25th 05, 08:34 PM
Jim Burns

Thanks.
Just subscribed.
I wonder if the Shell 22 for wheel bearings would be recommended for us
northern pilots who do a fare amount of winter flying.
Jim

et...

Old May 26th 05, 05:14 AM
Mike Rapoport

Shell 5 is good to -23C. See
http://www.shell.com/home/aviation-e...lbook2003.html

Mike
MU-2

Old May 26th 05, 07:04 PM
plasticguy

"ASTROGLIDE" ??

Old May 27th 05, 01:02 AM

On Tue, 24 May 2005 13:39:35 -0500, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

...other than pork fat and olive oil

For those who do their own aircraft lubeing, which brand of MIL G-23827
Acft, Inst, Gear and Accuator Screw grease do you like? Why? any dislikes?

Have always used either Aeroshell 7 or Royco 27, never saw much of a
difference between the two. Most any G-23827 grease is going to be a
synthetic base, only downside is it will eventually discolor the paint
where it oozes out from greased pivot points-wipe off the excess.

You leave it in the gun under spring/plunger pressure for an extended
period of time it tends to weep out the ass-end and make a real mess
of your storage cabinet.

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/prod...ellGreases.pdf

http://www.anderol.nl/pdf/Grease%20Brochure%20(Red)%20-%20Sept%202003%20as%20of%20July%2015,%202004.pdf

also for MIL G-3545 High temp/wheel bearing grease.

Have always used Mobil 28 - AFAIK G-3545 is an old spec, but it is
listed on the Mobil 28 sheet.

Only "trick" to using 28 is pack the bearing well, but don't pack the
entire wheel cavity. It seems to "expand" under use - if over-applied
it will ooze out.

The Mobil route guy told me years ago that they used it on the space
shuttle wheel bearings - heh, like they are going to use those more
than ONCE!

Do know that it useta come out of our Lear 24D wheel bearings looking
exactly like it did when it went in.

http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/...lgrease_28.asp

Main thing with aircraft wheel bearings is that #1 mode of failure
I've come across is corrosion from water contamination. Repack every
year or 100 hrs to ensure that any moisture is removed.

How old are these mil specs and have their been significant improvements
made in greases and should we consider a newer type grease??

G-3545 has been obsolete for years, but is still cross-referenced. Am
thinking that G-23827 is still a current spec (MIL-PRF-23827C).

Regards;

TC
Old May 27th 05, 03:53 AM
Jim Burns

Thanks TC,
In regards to the wheel bearing grease.... the grease I was really looking
for, but could not find, was Texaco Starplex 1. There are other Starplex
greases, but this one was a wheel bearing grease used a lot in boat trailer
wheels, and did an outstanding job keeping the water out.

Concur about not packing the wheel cavity, the PA23 Maint. book specifically
mentions not to for just that reason.

Thanks
Jim