Aero engineer for designing homebuilt aircraft.

Old June 11th 10, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Aero engineer for designing homebuilt aircraft.

On Jun 7, 8:58*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 23:27:43 -0400, "Peter Dohm"

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Peter Dohm wrote:

-----------------snipped-----------------

OTOH, the balance problems are "interesting" because, although I have yet
to build my own project, I have seen a few interesting issues crop up in
kits as well as plans built aircraft. *The most glaring problem that I
Richard Lamb

I agree, and it all was several years ago; but I will definitely use your
nomenclatu *Static Stabiliby Augmentation System.

That's really outstanding!

Peter

The Auster J1B isnt a kit aeroplane. down in the tail there is a
location where the fuselage tubes form a "V" shape.
on each side of this V shape is some 1/8" steel riveted in position to
make a box.
in the standard aircraft there is a 10lb triangular lead weight bolted
in front of this "V".
if you put a metal prop on the aircraft instead of a wooden prop there
is a couple of pounds of lead in a triangular wedge to go in the box.
if you add the exhaust muffler on to the straight stacks there is
another triangular lead piece to go in the box.
all told I think there can be 21lbs of lead in the tail.

in flight you notice nothing if the CG is in the right place.

I wouldnt feel embarassed about some lead ballast to get the cg
correct. the aircraft will be a lethal trap if you dont get the cg
right. your passengers wont even see the lead so why worry about it.
of course if you make a second aircraft the way is open for some
tweaking to remove the need.
Stealth Pilot

That Auster would have been better served with a moveable
battery rather than more lead weights. Some small helicopters have a
moveable battery to balance the machine when the passenger is there or
absent.

Dan
Old June 11th 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

wrote:

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Peter Dohm wrote:
[...]

What battery?

--

Richard Lamb

Old June 12th 10, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jun 10, 9:50 pm, cavelamb wrote:

What battery?

Did the J1B not have a starter?

Dan

Old June 13th 10, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

Stealth Pilot wrote:
/snip/
Did the J1B not have a starter?

Dan

the armstrong starter does not need battery power. ...just the
occasional sherbert in the evening.

just in case there is a doubt, yes, the J1B not have a starter.
Gypsy Major series 10 mark 1 is the neddy.

Stealth Pilot

Doesn't that apply to the J5N too?
I flew both, but it was quite a while ago...

Brian W
Old June 14th 10, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jun 13, 7:22*pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:33:38 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jun 10, 9:50 pm, cavelamb wrote:

What battery?

*Did the J1B not have a starter?

Dan

the armstrong starter does not need battery power. ...just the
occasional sherbert in the evening.

just in case there is a doubt, yes, the J1B not have a starter.
Gypsy Major series 10 mark 1 is the neddy.

Stealth Pilot

I have no experience with any of the Gypsy engines; but it seems like I
heard that some used a "shotgun" type impulse starter--at least in the
military trainer versions.

Just curious.

Peter

I had an Auster AOP VI, and it had a starter. Engine was Gipsy Major
7, IIRC.

Dan