Meigs now enjoyed by all!

Old July 2nd 05, 07:07 PM

Default Meigs now enjoyed by all!

With the opening of the Concert Stage, the common taxpayer now enjoys a
park property previously
restricted to jet-setters.

When it was announced that the city would begin putting on concerts at
Mei...er, Northerly Island, Chicagoist wondered what kind of acts Clear
Channel would book. Would they be acts to consume wine and cheese by
like Ravinia? Noveau hipsters for the kids? Or would they take the easy
way out and book some low-hanging fruit? To our surprise, the answer to
all those questions is "yes."

Earth, Wind and Fire and Chicago will begin a summer's worth of
concerts at the Lakefront Pavillion on Northerly Island on June 24th.
Other acts include Black Eyed Peas and Talib Kweli (June 26), Modest
Mouse (June 28), secretary rock (Gavin DeGraw on July 14 and Jack
Johnson on August 28), and a Steve Perry-less Journey (July 16). And
this summer your mama will dance and your daddy will rock and roll as
the second coming of Loggins and Messina arrives on August 4.

Only eight shows have been announced but more are expected. Tickets
will go on sale this Saturday at 10 AM through Ticketmaster (and
through the venue's website). You might feel better about the prices
if you remind yourself that the concerts are intended-in part-to
raise money for a nature park on the island. Then again, when you
remember that Clear Channel will be taking a chunk, you'll get ****ed
all over again. While Ralph's World's top price comes in at a
family-friendly $15, Earth Wind and Fire are hawking their best seats
for $75. Wha? And apparently someone told Loggins and Messina that
theirs was an Eagles-level event as they're charging $70 and $50 for
seats. Oof. Modest Mouse will set you back $27.50 which would be
reasonable if not for the Ticketmaster fees.

JG

Old July 2nd 05, 07:18 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message
oups.com...

With the opening of the Concert Stage, the common taxpayer now enjoys a
park property previously restricted to jet-setters.

Are concert-goers required to produce a tax receipt for entry?

Chicago should look into turning O'Hare and Midway into concert venues as
well.

Old July 2nd 05, 09:23 PM
Bob Gardner

It's a generational thing...I wouldn't walk across the street to see any of
the acts you mention. IMHO there has been no good music since the 1960s.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old July 2nd 05, 09:40 PM
Icebound

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
It's a generational thing...I wouldn't walk across the street to see any
of the acts you mention. IMHO there has been no good music since the
1960s.

.... Yes, with the possible exception of Chris de Burgh ...

Old July 2nd 05, 10:15 PM
Bob Gardner

Who dat? The only thing that keeps me from going on Jeopardy and eclipsing
Ken Jennings is fear that I will be faced with a category involving modern
music or performers (can't bring myself to say "singers").

My favorite on-point anecdote has to do with megastar Brandy, who probably
makes more in a day than I make in a year. When she "starred" in Cinderella
on TV, she not only breathed in the middle of a phrase, she breathed in the
middle of a word!! Who taught her to sing?

On a figure skating newsgroup, one poster compared the facial contortions of
Michael Bolton, who for some odd reason was included in a skating show, to
those of someone passing a kidney stone. Singing is not supposed to be
painful, but if you turn off the sound and just watch their faces, modern
singers all seem to be in agony.

Needless to say, my TV goes to "mute" when I see a modern singer/group walk
up to the microphone.

Bob Gardner

Old July 2nd 05, 10:42 PM
Jay Honeck

On a figure skating newsgroup, one poster compared the facial contortions of
Michael Bolton, who for some odd reason was included in a skating show, to
those of someone passing a kidney stone. Singing is not supposed to be
painful, but if you turn off the sound and just watch their faces, modern
singers all seem to be in agony.

Needless to say, my TV goes to "mute" when I see a modern singer/group walk
up to the microphone.

Michael Bolton is a "modern singer"?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 2nd 05, 11:18 PM
Maule Driver

Bob! Tsk tsk Why be so crusty and old school? Fact is, Chicago
should be right up your alley being a 60s guy and all.

How do you feel about your GPS?

:-)

Old July 2nd 05, 11:49 PM
Jay Honeck

Bob! Tsk tsk Why be so crusty and old school? Fact is, Chicago
should be right up your alley being a 60s guy and all.

Ah, yes. Chicago.

....The sound of batons crushing protester's heads...

....The sound of bulldozers ripping up runways at three in the
morning...

....The sound of 16 lanes of traffic all grinding to a halt every 10
miles in order to drop 50 cents in a toll booth collection box...

Strange, I don't miss it at all. :-)

(In another life I used to work for the Chicago Tribune.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 2nd 05, 11:56 PM
Icebound

"Icebound" wrote in message

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
It's a generational thing...I wouldn't walk across the street to see any
of the acts you mention. IMHO there has been no good music since the
1960s.

... Yes, with the possible exception of Chris de Burgh ...

Who dat?

http://www.cdeb.com/maindexnew.html

It is possible that he does not sell as well in the USA as the rest of the
world, but if you like '60s stuff, then it is hard to believe that you would
not like de Burgh's early stuff (1975) even better.

Old July 3rd 05, 12:01 AM
Blueskies

wrote in message oups.com...
With the opening of the Concert Stage, the common taxpayer now enjoys a
park property previously
restricted to jet-setters.

All funded by the new city-wide 9% sales tax! Don't ever buy anything in Chicago...