Save your back, air up your tires

Old December 23rd 03, 09:03 PM
Mike Noel

Here's another idea. I have a 120V electric pump I use for bike tires at
home (pumps faster than the 12V models I have seen.) My shade-port parking
has no electricity, so I hook a 400W inverter to the car battery terminals
and use that to power the pump. The inverter also has a cigarette lighter
plug, but the plug doesn't deliver enough power for the inverter to work the
pump that way. I have also used the inverter to power a hand held vacuum
for cleaning the plane's carpets, but a higher wattage inverter would be
better for that use.
Another thing I have found is that mechanical pressure guages are very
inaccurate. I have an $8 digital guage that seems to be much better.

--
Regards,
Mike

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
Last Wednesday I found myself unable to push my plane back into the
hangar without help. It was wet, limiting my shoe traction, and I had
been unable to successfully get back on the concrete pad after cutting
the corner through the squishy grass, forcing me to take a more
straight-in (and more uphill) approach.

Today before flying I hauled my compressor to the hangar and aired up
my tires. They didn't look that squishy, but they sure took a lot of
air to get back to book values. It's a hell of a lot easier to push now!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Old December 23rd 03, 11:39 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Mines 28v so I have to pull the car up close. But the portable air pump is
a must have.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

take off my shoes to reply

Old December 24th 03, 01:23 AM
Ray Andraka

I have a 5 gallon air tank that I take out to the airport with me. Bought it
before I got in the hangar, there was no electric at the tiedowns and they
don't let cars in.

"Victor J. Osborne, Jr." wrote:

Mines 28v so I have to pull the car up close. But the portable air pump is
a must have.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

take off my shoes to reply

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

http://www.andraka.com

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old December 24th 03, 02:06 AM
smackey

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:sxYFb.435001$Dw6.1334133@attbi_s02...
I find appreciable difference in the plane's ground handling and T/O
performance, so much so, that I now have a small foot pump to top off the
tires permanently in the baggage compartment.

One of those battery-powered ones is an absolute God-send at the hangar.
Ours cost about $50 bucks, and has a cigar lighter jack (for powering other
devices) in addition to a very high quality air pump.

Jay,

Lazy man's question: In which catalogue do I find this? Or what
store (please not Wal-Mart).
Old December 24th 03, 02:08 AM
smackey

"g n p" wrote in message ...
....I now have a small foot pump to top off the
tires permanently in the baggage compartment.

gnp,

Where can I get one, and how much?
Old December 24th 03, 02:44 AM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
What do you want to do with it in your 28 volt plane?

Uh, air up the tires?

(It's generally a
stand-alone tool.)

??
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 24th 03, 03:38 AM
Newps

Tony Cox wrote:

Little door? Luxury! It takes four men, three boys, two dogs and
a horse to twist the tire on a 182 into position. And THEN you
get to reach up the pant, past the spiders and grease, and IF
you're LUCKY, you can reach the valve stem which of course
won't be QUITE in the right positon so you have to do it all
over again.

That's what you rightly deserve for having wheel pants. You want wheel
pants buy a girlie Cherokee.

Old December 24th 03, 04:19 AM
Michelle P

Ben,
On my Maule I need to put air in them about once a month. A work we put
Nitrogen in the tires of the jets and Turbo-props every three days....
Michelle

Ben Jackson wrote:

Last Wednesday I found myself unable to push my plane back into the
hangar without help. It was wet, limiting my shoe traction, and I had
been unable to successfully get back on the concrete pad after cutting
the corner through the squishy grass, forcing me to take a more
straight-in (and more uphill) approach.

Today before flying I hauled my compressor to the hangar and aired up
my tires. They didn't look that squishy, but they sure took a lot of
air to get back to book values. It's a hell of a lot easier to push now!

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old December 24th 03, 04:20 AM
Kevin

smackey wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:sxYFb.435001$Dw6.1334133@attbi_s02...

I find appreciable difference in the plane's ground handling and T/O
performance, so much so, that I now have a small foot pump to top off the
tires permanently in the baggage compartment.

One of those battery-powered ones is an absolute God-send at the hangar.
Ours cost about $50 bucks, and has a cigar lighter jack (for powering other
devices) in addition to a very high quality air pump.

Jay,

Lazy man's question: In which catalogue do I find this? Or what
store (please not Wal-Mart).

Try Auto-Barn on the web. I have one of these for my Jeep .

TRUCK AIR 12 volt Heavy Duty Air Compressor
INTHD-300Regular price: $45.95Sale price: $42.95

/store.yahoo.com/rodi/achd-275.html