Russian Navy going back to the Med

Old December 10th 07, 03:35 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
The Horny Goat

Default Russian Navy going back to the Med

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 16:06:06 -0800 (PST), Andre Lieven
wrote:

The winter of 2006-07 was so mild that there was not a flake of
snow on the ground in Ottawa.

Go, global warming ! g

That's not what my daughter (who attends Carleton) told me last
Christmas!
Old December 10th 07, 03:44 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
The Horny Goat

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 16:04:59 -0800 (PST), Andre Lieven
wrote:

Give me a choice of North Dakota or Vancouver, BC, I'll be happy to be
warm in Canada...

Even if the temperature were equal I'd pick Vancouver.

Face it, the United States has lots of attractions - North Dakota in
winter isn't one of them!

(This isn't just Canadian chauvinism speaking - I've driven North
Dakota highways in winter)
Old December 10th 07, 08:23 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Don Harstad

Old December 10th 07, 03:40 PM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew Chaplin[_2_]

On Dec 9, 2:45 pm, george wrote:
On Dec 10, 8:28 am, Jack Linthicum
wrote:

On Dec 9, 1:19 pm, "Andrew Chaplin"
wrote:

"Andre Lieven" wrote in message

On Dec 7, 5:57 pm, Jack Linthicum wrote:
On Dec 7, 5:53 pm, (Richard Casady) wrote:

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:27:35 -0800 (PST), Andre Lieven

wrote:
I cna recall a couple of years that a UN survey said that Canada was
the number one nation in the world to live in, most Canadian's
response was closer to polite embarrassment than braddagio.

The only thing wrong with Canada is the winters.

Casady

and the other season, July

The winter of 2006-07 was so mild that there was not a flake of
snow on the ground in Ottawa.

Go, global warming ! g

Horse feathers, Andre. It was a mild winter but, trust me, it snowed. We did,
however, have a green Christmas and New Year's Day. The skateway on the Rideau
did not open till mid-January. This winter has been refreshingly cool. Camp
Fortune opened its first ski run in November, and I suspect the skateway will
open before New Year's. We already have a foot of snow on the ground that
looks set to stay and Sawmill Creek has frozen over for the first time in
yonks.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

The New York Times has a list of 53 places to go in 2008, Number 35
is

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/travel/20...C.html?ref=tra...

The 53 places to go in 2008
Northwest Passage

How about the Pacific?
We're enduring 25-28C at the moment and absolutely no chance of snow
where I am :-)

Makes for pretty poor skating, as far as I am concerned.
Old December 10th 07, 05:35 PM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval
Andre Lieven

On Dec 8, 2:44 am, "Jim Ignorant" splattered:
"Andre Lieven" wrote in message
Hows that workin' for ya ? Canada has a budget SURPLUS, a POSITIVE
balance of trade, medical care for ALL, and a SHRINKING debt.

Match our credentials, ace.

Nothing is forever. We had virtually the same thing nine years ago.

Not the positive balance of trade, nor the medical care for ALL.

Try again.

Virtually. Not literally.

IOW, not on 50% of the stated points. That translates to a 2-1 win for
us...

If the
globe is really warming, for example, you're going to need an air force
and a navy of considerably greater proportions than you have now.

Why ? Is the US preparing to aggressively invade more places ?
It should stop doing that, as it's reputation is crap because of it.

No. Because you're going to have to police and perhaps defend the northwest
passage, and you have almost nothing to do it with. If you'd been paying
attention, you'd have noitced that the Russians have already begun to claim
arctic waters that Canada will contest. You're going to need help. Oh well,
maybe the Commonwealth will step up.

Considering that among the worst prior Canadian Arctic violaters were
USN subs, well, going to the US to help on this is like a chicken
asking
a wolf for help...

Unless, of
course, you ask for help, which we will be glad to provide even though we
may have a budget deficit, negative balance of trade, partial medical
care, and an increasing debt. What are friends for, after all?

Oh, I don't know, lets ask that again, AFTER the US returns the $5
BILLION that it STOLE in violation of NAFTA and FTA... See " softwood
lumber "...

You are just being obtuse. Legal disputes always exist, and there seems to
be some disagreement about this one as well.

No. In every case where Canada and the US have gone to a dispute
resolution
forum on this matter, the forum agreed with Canada's position, and
cited the
US for violating NAFTA and the FTA.

The modern US: A nation NOT to be trusted.

Now, you know very we'll be there if you need us.

Not really, no. And, we do know that you will be billing for it.
Unlike us...

Don't be embarassed.

Projection

We weren't embarassed any of the times you helped us.

No, you just forgot about each time, mere days later.

Who in the US, now, knows, for example, about the Eastern
Canadian cities that took in the many thousands of US citizens
on 9/11, when all planes were ordered to land as soon as possible,
with many ending up in Newfoundland or Maritime airports ?

Gander, Nfld, almost had it's population double that day, yet
the folks who were there are elequent on how well those Canadians
took care of them. Yet, 9 days later, did your President remember
that ? No. OK, hes a bad example, because hes an idiot.

Andre
Old December 10th 07, 08:28 PM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval
george

On Dec 10, 3:31 pm, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
Andre Lieven writes:
On Dec 6, 10:48 pm, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
Andre Lieven writes:
Lewis Black well explained that USians who proclaim that theirs is
the greatest nation on Earth, *without* even having left it once,
are...

idiots.

And that goes pretty much for any nation. Some of course have to be
right, though, even if they don't know it! :-)

Thats true, though which other nations do it so routinely as the US ?

I cna recall a couple of years that a UN survey said that Canada was
the number one nation in the world to live in, most Canadian's
response
was closer to polite embarrassment than braddagio.

The Ozzies I know when told that Oz is the best to be, simply shrug
and say "We know that, mate. We just don't tell everyone else 'cause
we want to keep it for ourselves". :-)

They have a lot of bushel to hide their light under :-)

Old December 11th 07, 03:59 PM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval

On 7 дек, 23:32, Rob Arndt wrote:
On Dec 7, 4:36�am, Jack Linthicum wrote:

On Dec 6, 12:46 pm, Tiger wrote:

Putin now with his sham election is finished is back to military power
moves. In the context of Arms sales to US foes like Chavez, Bear bomber
back in the air, and talk of ending conventional force treaties; this
guy is worth keeping a eye on.

Yahoo! News
Russiannavy to start sorties in Mediterranean

I presume someone in this, sci.military.naval, group will keep track
of how many ships do this act, how long they stay on station and how
many are sent home in some form of casualty.

I'm just wondering how on earth the Russians scraped all that rust off
their buckets that have sat for over a decade... or are they just
sending 1-2 ships? I hope they don't send any of their submerged
Chernobyls!

Rob

There is nothing to worry about. No more Chernobyls)) They just need
some exercise, just like any other Navy of any other country with
nuclear weapons.
What i wonder about, how come the Russian-American relations started
to go down again? What went wrong? These could be the best allies on
Earth that could control the rest of the world and protect other
nations from terror and poverty. If only these two nations could
cooperate better. There is so much to do together except for Weaponry
Race and Cold War. The people of these two great countries are so the
same with so similar values. They just speak different languages and
went a bit different ways towards democracy. But who can be sure which
way is faster or better? Some more thoughts on Russian-American
relations in my blog e-citizenglobal.blogspot.com
Andrey P.