E6B vs. Jepp CR-3 "hand propped" Flight Compters.

Old November 28th 04, 07:47 PM
Bill Denton

Default E6B vs. Jepp CR-3 "hand propped" Flight Compters.

I am currently using a Jepp CR-3, but I'm working on my Christmas list and
I'm wondering if I should add an E6B.

Does one have any advantages over the other as far as real life, training,
exams, go?

As a separate issue, I am also looking at the Jepp TechStar, the CX-2
Pathfinder, and Sporty's electronic flight computers.

Any recommendations?

TIA

Old November 28th 04, 11:46 PM
BTIZ

well.. a CR-3 and an E6B is exactly the same on the front.. I did find the
"reverse" or wind correction, ground speed side of the E6B is easier to use.

But now, if you are talking ELECTRONIC, then any of the others are as good
as each other. Name Brands.. but.. I'm always chasing batteries when ever I
need my Electronic E6B.

The "hand propped" or manual "slide rule" computers are not on dead
batteries when needed.

BT

Old November 29th 04, 01:15 AM
Slip'er

Any recommendations?

On your Christmas list, ask for a nice watch with an E6B on the bezel. They
are small but you are likely to always have it with you and in position to
use. When you are stuck somewhere bored, you can practice and not look TOO
silly.

Carl.

Old November 29th 04, 04:42 AM
CrazyBear

I have both E6B and CR-3. I like the CR-3 its easy to carry in my
kneeboard and once you understand how the wind side works its easier
than the E6B.

C. White
Student Pilot - ASEL

Old November 29th 04, 05:22 AM
Cockpit Colin

As a separate issue, I am also looking at the Jepp TechStar, the CX-2
Pathfinder, and Sporty's electronic flight computers.

I purchased one of the large format E6B Electronic computers from Sporty's -
ended up sending it back and getting a CX-2 which I'm very happy with
(although I don't know why they can't make them 1/2 the thickness). The E6B
was confusing to operate and (despite that) had a fault where the thin
aluminium key surround came unstuck in the middle and was actually higher
than the top of the key - very poor design and quality. I haven't seen a
pathfinder, but I did read a review that said the contrast / font made the
unit all but impossible to read in anything but ideal conditions - although
someone else commented that they were very happy with it.

Old November 29th 04, 02:37 PM
Corky Scott

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:47:07 -0600, "Bill Denton"
wrote:

I am currently using a Jepp CR-3, but I'm working on my Christmas list and
I'm wondering if I should add an E6B.

Does one have any advantages over the other as far as real life, training,
exams, go?

As a separate issue, I am also looking at the Jepp TechStar, the CX-2
Pathfinder, and Sporty's electronic flight computers.

Any recommendations?

Does anyone actually use an E6B anymore? If so, what for?

Corky (just wondering) Scott
Old November 29th 04, 04:42 PM
Rolf Blom

wrote:

I am currently using a Jepp CR-3, but I'm working on my Christmas list and
I'm wondering if I should add an E6B.

Does one have any advantages over the other as far as real life, training,
exams, go?

As a separate issue, I am also looking at the Jepp TechStar, the CX-2
Pathfinder, and Sporty's electronic flight computers.

Any recommendations?

Does anyone actually use an E6B anymore? If so, what for?

Corky (just wondering) Scott

A pilot at my club claims the only time he used the E6B after getting
his electronic nav-tools, was when he was landing on a snowy field and
couldn't get good visual references to ground.

He threw out the E6B, and it landed flat on the ground, making a nice
visible reference point (it has a red skin cover) for the landing.

/Rolf
Old November 29th 04, 06:04 PM
Jose

Does anyone actually use an E6B anymore? If so, what for?

I use it all the time for flight planning, just like I always did.
The analog face is much easier to use than digital, and once set, I
can read off many answers with no further input. It doesn't need
batteries, it won't break if I drop it, and I have more of a sense
that it is me that is doing the planning, and not some computer.

Jose
--
Freedom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old November 29th 04, 06:14 PM
Corky Scott

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:04:50 GMT, Jose
wrote:

Does anyone actually use an E6B anymore? If so, what for?

I use it all the time for flight planning, just like I always did.
The analog face is much easier to use than digital, and once set, I
can read off many answers with no further input. It doesn't need
batteries, it won't break if I drop it, and I have more of a sense
that it is me that is doing the planning, and not some computer.

Jose

What part of the flight planning do you use it for? Are you in
training or have you already gotten your PPL?

Thanks, Corky Scott
Old November 29th 04, 07:13 PM
Jose

I use [the E6B] all the time for flight planning, just like I always did.

What part of the flight planning do you use it for? Are you in
training or have you already gotten your PPL?

I have my PPL (SEL), instrument rating, and 800 hours. I like to fly
low, so more detailled flight planning is necessary than if I just
pointed my nose into the sky and survey the world from 6500 feet. I
use VFR checkpoints every 10-30 minutes, depending on landmarks, and
use it for calculating time for each leg, wind correction angle,
estimated ground speed (which impacts fuel stops; I also use airnav
and the telephone for gas prices and availability - fifteen miles can
mean a hundred dollars difference in fuel costs), and just about
everything except weight and balance (for which I use CoPilot on my Palm)

Once in the air, I'll keep track of my times to next checkpoint in the
flight log, but I use mental estimates (and the GPS if I feel lazy) to
do any calculations I need. But most of the time I'm looking out the
window.

IFR I do the same thing, except that most of the time I'm copying down
amended clearances, negating most of the preflight planning.

Jose
--
Freedom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.