Refinishing ASW24

Old September 7th 20, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Refinishing ASW24

I have been working on the horizontal stab and the two elevators for the past two weeks. I have never seen such difficult gel coat to remove. I am no rookie at gel coat, have done many boats and a bit of glider repair, but this is a beast to remove. It took me six full days to remove the gel coat from the stab. Just today I did one elevator and will do the other tomorrow.
I am bringing it back up with acrylic urethane, so far so good, just a lot of work and a few drinks of rum. Bob
Old September 7th 20, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 5:40:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have been working on the horizontal stab and the two elevators for the past two weeks. I have never seen such difficult gel coat to remove. I am no rookie at gel coat, have done many boats and a bit of glider repair, but this is a beast to remove. It took me six full days to remove the gel coat from the stab. Just today I did one elevator and will do the other tomorrow..
I am bringing it back up with acrylic urethane, so far so good, just a lot of work and a few drinks of rum. Bob

Correction, a lot of rum
Old September 7th 20, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What are you using to remove the gel coat?

If using sandpaper, consider switching to Abranet in a fairly coarse grit. It doesn't clog up like regular sandpaper and lasts a REALLLY long time.
Old September 7th 20, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 5:55:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What are you using to remove the gel coat?

If using sandpaper, consider switching to Abranet in a fairly coarse grit.. It doesn't clog up like regular sandpaper and lasts a REALLLY long time.

Mark, I have thrown everything at it except dynamite, I am making progress, slow as it is , it will be very nice. I did Abranet in very course grit, just had to try most everything. Finally made some progress with some material from a local boat manufacturer, it did much better. I have built back up the stab and a final sanding before applying the urethane. I might try the rudder next and then move on to the fuselage. The wings are very good, even after a good sanding and hard wax. My wife flies this old girl most of the time, but I do get in it from time to time, it is a great flying glider.
Old September 7th 20, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

Removing gelcoat is a real bear, but it shouldn’t take that long! We use an electric DA, like RIDGID with 60 grit pad to remove 50% Down to where the underlying cloth starts to show. The remaining gelcoat is much softer. Works best on flat surfaces like the a stab.
Be very careful on concave surfaces like the underside of the elevator. If memory serves me, it should take something like 24 hours to completely strip a 15 meter bird.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old September 7th 20, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Specifically, are you using just plain old manual sanding or are you using any sort of power sander? And yes, power sanders can be way too "enthusiastic" and cause significant damage to the top epoxy layer if you slip up and/or lose your focus and concentration.
Old September 7th 20, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 6:18:16 PM UTC-4, John Sinclair wrote:
Removing gelcoat is a real bear, but it shouldn’t take that long! We use an electric DA, like RIDGID with 60 grit pad to remove 50% Down to where the underlying cloth starts to show. The remaining gelcoat is much softer. Works best on flat surfaces like the a stab.
Be very careful on concave surfaces like the underside of the elevator. If memory serves me, it should take something like 24 hours to completely strip a 15 meter bird.
Hope this helps,
JJ

60 grit is like using Charmin on the underside! This thing laughs at 36 grit, and yes the electric tools have been used, Mirka 40 wet does a bit of removal.
Old September 8th 20, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 3:51:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 6:18:16 PM UTC-4, John Sinclair wrote:
Removing gelcoat is a real bear, but it shouldn’t take that long! We use an electric DA, like RIDGID with 60 grit pad to remove 50% Down to where the underlying cloth starts to show. The remaining gelcoat is much softer. Works best on flat surfaces like the a stab.
Be very careful on concave surfaces like the underside of the elevator. If memory serves me, it should take something like 24 hours to completely strip a 15 meter bird.
Hope this helps,
JJ

60 grit is like using Charmin on the underside! This thing laughs at 36 grit, and yes the electric tools have been used, Mirka 40 wet does a bit of removal.

We have found that 36 grit mostly rides on top, but 60 grit is fine enough to start removing the top hard coat and get down to the softer underlying stuff. Dual action (DA) is a must and it greatly reduces the risk of digging in.
Old September 8th 20, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 7:04:27 PM UTC-4, John Sinclair wrote:
[...]

I have used many Abranet grit pads and custom made blocks. The best so far is the Mirka 80 with the cushion pad beneath the Adranet pad, this is used in a very slow rotation of the sander, speed seems to cut less than a slower rotation. Speed also increases your risk of gouging and also heats up the surface much to my dislike. Fiberglass Supply Depot in Ft. Pierce , Florida has the best supply of abrasive supplies and tools one would ever need, check them out online, great people and huge supplies of products. Bob
Old September 8th 20, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 2:19:07 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

80 grit has more rocks in contact and, from my experience, gives a quicker and better result. I use random orbital and Mirka Gold 80 grit sticky back paper with soft backing pad.
"there must be an easier way".
Nope
Stick with it Bob.
UH