Cherokee Six Fuel problem

Old August 15th 03, 01:43 AM
EDR

Default Cherokee Six Fuel problem

In article , Robert
Borucki wrote:

I flew a Cherokee Six PA32-300 and finished up the flight and topped off all
four tanks. Then noticed, an hour later that there was fuel streaming from
the overflow port under the left main tank. The left outboard tank was 3/4
drained, and all other tanks were full. The fuel selector was on the right
main at the time. Any ideas what the problem is? I thought all tanks were
separate, but it appears that the left outboard may have drained into the
left main and overflowed......

Was it outside?
Was the sun shining?
Did you open the cap to vent the tank?
Tell the fueler not to fill it all the way to the top if the aircraft
is going to be parked outside in the sun after fueling.
Old August 15th 03, 03:03 PM
Robert Borucki

That's what I was wanting to hear. Sounds like a reasonable answer and area
to investigate.

thanks...

wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:00:12 GMT, "Robert Borucki"
wrote:

I flew a Cherokee Six PA32-300 and finished up the flight and topped off

all
four tanks. Then noticed, an hour later that there was fuel streaming

from
the overflow port under the left main tank. The left outboard tank was

3/4
drained, and all other tanks were full. The fuel selector was on the

right
main at the time. Any ideas what the problem is? I thought all tanks

were
separate, but it appears that the left outboard may have drained into the
left main and overflowed......

snip

All four tanks and tied to a common central passage (that feeds the
engine) with a spring-loaded ball valve in each line. The selector
pokes one of the valves off it's seat to open it up.

The head pressure in the outboard tanks can seep by a leaking ball and
make it's way to a "lower" point. I would have thought that it would
have filled up the selected tank first, but they will do strange
things.

Needs cleaned up/repaired. Not sure who does them anymore, have been
out the Piper game for awhile...

TC

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Home Built 78 December 3rd 03 09:10 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
More long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids, with added nationalistic abuse (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 161 September 25th 03 07:35 AM