IFR GNS 430 with expired database

Old April 16th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose

Default IFR GNS 430 with expired database

I have been told that it is illegal to fly IFR in an aircraft that has
an operating IFR rated GNS 430, whose database is out of date, =even= if
it is placarded INOP, placed in the OFF position, and the airplane, even
without the 430, is otherwise legal for IFR.

True?

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 16th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

If the database has expired you can still use the 430 for enroute
IFR provided you manually verify the fixes you use. So what you were
told was rubbish. It neither has to be placarded nor turned off and
you can even use it - but not for approaches.

Ed

Old April 16th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave S

Jose wrote:
I have been told that it is illegal to fly IFR in an aircraft that has
an operating IFR rated GNS 430, whose database is out of date, =even= if
it is placarded INOP, placed in the OFF position, and the airplane, even
without the 430, is otherwise legal for IFR.

True?

Jose

You've been told wrong. You can still fly ILS, LOC and VOR approaches
without regard to the status of the GPS database. You can even use the
out of date database for situational awareness. You just cant file /G,
since you are not capable of legally accepting or executing an IFR GPS
approach, assuming that the out of date box is the sole source of IFR
GPS certification.

Dave
Old April 16th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 4/15/2007 11:18:31 PM, Jose wrote:

I have been told that it is illegal to fly IFR in an aircraft that has
an operating IFR rated GNS 430, whose database is out of date, =even= if
it is placarded INOP, placed in the OFF position, and the airplane, even
without the 430, is otherwise legal for IFR.

Check the GPS's supplement in the back of the POH. From what I remember (it
has been a couple years since I read my 430 supplement) there is a sentence
or two about expired databases.

--
Peter
Old April 16th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark T. Dame

Jose wrote:
I have been told that it is illegal to fly IFR in an aircraft that has
an operating IFR rated GNS 430, whose database is out of date, =even= if
it is placarded INOP, placed in the OFF position, and the airplane, even
without the 430, is otherwise legal for IFR.

From what I was told by the DE who did my commercial checkride, you can
use an IFR approved GPS with an expired database for enroute navigation,
including filing /G, as long as the database contains all of the
waypoints you will be using on your flight. You may not use it for
approaches with an expired database.

Regardless, an expired database wouldn't prevent you from filing /A (or
/U as appropriate) and flying the airways. All that is required is that
you have the navigation equipment on board that is required to navigate
the planned route. So if you have a VOR receiver, you can file and fly
the airways regardless of the status of your GPS. Worst case is that it
would fall back to the same category as a handheld.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## CP-ASEL, AGI
Old April 16th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler

Jose wrote:
I have been told that it is illegal to fly IFR in an aircraft that has
an operating IFR rated GNS 430, whose database is out of date, =even= if
it is placarded INOP, placed in the OFF position, and the airplane, even
without the 430, is otherwise legal for IFR.

pedantic answer:
The restrictions are spelled out in the Approved Flight Manual
Supplement. Most installations of a particular make and model (like
Garmin 430) have identical AFMSs, but since the AFMS is approved on a
aircraft-by-aircraft basis, it's possible there can be differences.
There is no general answer to your question. You have to read the AFMS
for the specific aircraft.

Dave
Old April 16th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul kgyy

There might be restrictions for GPS approaches, but I would think that
flying non-GPS approaches with the 430 should be fine since you're not
really using the database.

Old April 16th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 4/16/2007 9:47:22 AM, Dave Butler wrote:

pedantic answer:

I am not sure why you consider the suggestion of reading the supplement a
pedantic answer.

--
Peter
Old April 16th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On 16 Apr 2007 07:11:13 -0700, "paul kgyy"
wrote:

There might be restrictions for GPS approaches, but I would think that
flying non-GPS approaches with the 430 should be fine since you're not
really using the database.

What about using it for locating missed approach holding points (a-la
NDB or DME substitution)? Since the database is out of date, you
can't use it for approaches, even non-GPS.
Old April 16th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ronnie

Well, I for one, had to go look up the meaning of pedantic. I'm glad I
did. I now have a new, fancy word to use in place of nit-picky :-)