Idiot Pilot Runs Out of Gas - Lands Cessna on I-81 - CAN'T BECHARGED!!

Old April 9th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Idiot Pilot Runs Out of Gas - Lands Cessna on I-81 - CAN'T BECHARGED!!

Roy Smith wrote:

I always visually check the trim mechanism. Set the trim wheel in the
cockpit to the neutral position. Then, during the walk-around, hold the
elevator parallel with the longitudinal axis of the airplane and observe
that the anti-servo tab is fair with the main elevator surface. If the
trim indicator is "whacked", it will be immediately obvious that the trim
tab isn't in the right place.

Good idea. During the preflight, I check the movement, the linkage, and
the piano hinge. It was in a near neutral position, as it normally
always is from the last landing. This airplane normally uses a
relatively narrow trim range.

I am familiar with the effort required at extreme ends of the range,
thanks to an instructor who liked to add extreme trim to unusual
attitudes. G

You didn't say what kind of plane you've got, so you may or may not be able
to do this.

A Beech 23 Sundowner. It's got a stabilator so your advice is helpful
and applicable!

I simply need to add "set trim indicator to neutral" to the end of my
list, before I leave the cockpit for the second trip around.

Thanks!
Old April 12th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:34:28 -0400, B A R R Y
wrote:

Cool! I thought you were only doing the powered parasail thing. My pal
at Windham bent the gear on his T-Craft, landing in his "yard", but it
was repairable.

I'm still flying the powered paragliders too, but I bought a Kolb
Ultrastar a year and a half ago. The wings fold in about 10 minutes,
so I can keep it in a trailer and save on hangar rent.

Ya gotta land a T-Craft pretty hard to bend the gear! Kinda glad now
that I sold mine, with the cost of the wing strut AD.

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
Stupidity got us into this mess... why can't it get us out?
Old April 12th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:41:07 -0400, Dana M. Hague
d(dash)m(dash)hague(at)comcast(dot)net wrote:

Ya gotta land a T-Craft pretty hard to bend the gear! K

Sideways...
Old April 13th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:44:25 -0400, B A R R Y
wrote:

Ya gotta land a T-Craft pretty hard to bend the gear! K

Sideways...

That'll do it!

-Dana
Old April 13th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:28:29 -0400, Dana

wrote:

Ya gotta land a T-Craft pretty hard to bend the gear! K

Sideways...

That'll do it!

-Dana

I can't post the details in writing. I'll share them in person. G
Old April 14th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 16:54:33 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:

I always visually check the trim mechanism. Set the trim wheel in the
cockpit to the neutral position. Then, during the walk-around, hold the
elevator parallel with the longitudinal axis of the airplane and observe
that the anti-servo tab is fair with the main elevator surface. If the
trim indicator is "whacked", it will be immediately obvious that the trim
tab isn't in the right place.

Good idea. During the preflight, I check the movement, the linkage, and
the piano hinge. It was in a near neutral position, as it normally
always is from the last landing. This airplane normally uses a
relatively narrow trim range.

Last Landing? In the Cherokee 180 and my Deb I know if the last
landing was done right as the trim will be at the up limit. Not just
at but right against the stops!

However... My shut down list includes setting trim to neutral. my
preflight is a mechanical "look see" if it is neutral and my run-up is
check to make sure the indicator is neutral. I then set it depending
on load/CG calcs.

I am familiar with the effort required at extreme ends of the range,
thanks to an instructor who liked to add extreme trim to unusual
attitudes. G

You didn't say what kind of plane you've got, so you may or may not be able
to do this.

A Beech 23 Sundowner. It's got a stabilator so your advice is helpful
and applicable!

I simply need to add "set trim indicator to neutral" to the end of my
list, before I leave the cockpit for the second trip around.

Thanks!

Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old April 14th 08, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 22:18:52 -0400, wrote:

Last Landing? In the Cherokee 180 and my Deb I know if the last
landing was done right as the trim will be at the up limit. Not just
at but right against the stops!

If I were to move the trim significantly aft in the pattern, I'd be
seriously pushing the yoke forward. With the stall horn blaring in
slow flight, I'm nowhere near full aft.

However... My shut down list includes setting trim to neutral. my
preflight is a mechanical "look see" if it is neutral and my run-up is
check to make sure the indicator is neutral. I then set it depending
on load/CG calcs.

Same here at run-up. Neutral trim on my Sundowner will normally put
me within a 1/2 to 3/4 turn down of Vy after rotation. I'll normally
take off with a slightly forward trim setting and need less than 1/4
turn change.

At shutdown after a nice landing, the trim is normally right around
neutral, regardless if I or my partner flew it last.

If I'm trimmed for a 90 knot instrument approach with one notch of
flap or VFR pattern, the additional two notches will require very
minor (1/8 - 1/4 turns) trim changes as I bleed speed to the runway.
I trimmed the PA-28 variants I've flown much more during an approach
than the Sundowner, especially when adding flaps.

I'm going to take some informal polls at my next type club meet and
see where the other guys' trim ends up after landing. My plane flies
well through the entire speed envelope, but I'm starting to wonder if
the rigging might be a tad off.