Pondering G430W upgrade...

Old February 23rd 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Default Pondering G430W upgrade...

I know what you mean, but I'm not really looking for a blessing...more of
a confirmation that Garmin has 1) weeded out the bugs and 2) the benefit
in the real world is worth the money. Sounds like from the other

OK, well if you really want too, then go for it...

cheers ... denny
Old February 23rd 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BillJ

Doug Vetter wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:23:18 -0500, BillJ wrote:

What is the 50% off deal. I got mine upgraded for the original $1500
price. What is the price now?

Current price is $3K (just for the hardware) because we're past the "cut-
off" that Garmin announced last year. I "registered" for the upgrade so
I locked it in at the lower price of $1500.

-Doug
http://www.dvatp.com/

My 530W upgrade was 1800 total, 1500 to Garmin, 300 was for the new
cable, antenna install and shipping. All done in one morning.
That is all. No certification problems
Old February 23rd 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:27:42 -0500, dave wrote:
I had my 430 upgraded about a month ago in my Bonanza.

snip
I was on the fence about the upgrade but I also
considered the fact that these radios will be around for a long time.

True. The 430/530 are extremely popular and I can't see them being
discontinued or orphaned in any meaningful sense. This upgrade is itself
evidence of that fact. Wish I could say the same for the 480, but I
think we all saw that coming.

When you sell your airplane, any savvy buyer will look at the W upgrade
as a plus.

Given avionics investments typically yield 50% of the initial value upon
resale and the value of the upgrade is now $3000 I suppose I could look
at it as a wash. I should be able to get back a significant percentage
of the original cost at resale time.

The last point for me was the terrain feature. My 430 did not have the
terrain option. It's standard on the 430.

We didn't bother with the terrain upgrade when it became available
originally so we're in the same boat. If the terrain warning logic works
the same as it does in the 396 portable it should be a nice addition to
the cockpit.

My original concern was that the terrain warning logic would be too
"chatty" and distracting, but from a brief overview of the pilot's guide
it almost seems that the opposite is true. The PDA logic graph shows
that the unit will let you be as low as 350 AGL five miles away from the
airport before it gripes. Little scary if you ask me.

I'm curious about others' real world experience with the terrain feature.

Penn Avionics did the work for me. Very nice folks to work with.

Yea, the team at Penn is great and our upgrade reservation is with them.
I've known Peter for a long time and he's always given us fair pricing.

He's quoting $1800 for the upgrade (reservation pricing from Garmin)
without new feedline, or $2200 otherwise. He did our original 430
installation back in 2003 so it's fairly recent, but I'm still foggy on
the feedline specs and whether we'll need to have the feedline replaced.
Guess I'll find out.

One additional cost for me is the new USB programmer, but I suppose I
would have had to upgrade to that eventually anyway as it's becoming more
difficult to find a PC-Card interface on laptops today and my five year
old laptop is just about done.

One perk of the upgrade in the 172 is that no annunciator is required so
we'll dodge that cost.

Doug
http://www.dvatp.com/
Old February 24th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dave

Doug,
I don't have much time flying with it and no IR time at all but I have
played around with the terrain feature. You can display aviation data
on the terrain page but you can't display any of the data fields.
Since the data fields I use are duplicated on the sandel 3308, I can
leave the unit in terrain mode. Terrain mode also offers a limited
field of view, 120 degrees, which is nice. Have you downloaded the
latest simulator from Garmin? If not, give it a test drive. I think
you'll like it.

I don't think you can wrong by upgrading. Good luck.
Dave
M35

Old February 27th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
pgbnh

We just went through a 530 to 530W installation. Cost was about $2200 ($1500
to Garmin and remainder to avionics shop). Our 530 was paired with a KX155.
As a previous noter indicated, there are some issues with harmonics
generated from the ELT. There are certain frequencies that Garmin wants
checked (in the 121.xx range and 131.xx ranges). In our case, the 530 was
transmitting on an antenna that was about 30" from the ELT antenna.
Transmissions on certain frequencies caused harmonics to be generated by the
ELT which interfered with the GPS reception. Potentially this is
problematic - in our case our avionics tech was able to install a filter in
the elt antenna to eliminate the harmonics. Had the filter not worked, we
would likely have had to do a bunch of troubleshooting and probably relocate
certain antennas. Most important to find a competent avionics tech that you
trust. We did.

This all in a Beech Sierra

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
I have a 430W 530W installation- the added approaches are fun to fly and
learn, and open up a lot more airports.

Still wish Garmin didn't take the Nexrad overlay off of the main nav page
for some reason, since it was very useful on the non-WAAS 530's.

Certification was simple, and the paperwork was all approved through the
avionics shop.

No 396 to 496 Upgrade Mike Granby Piloting 7 July 21st 06 07:28 PM
upgrade [email protected] Soaring 0 November 3rd 05 04:20 PM
upgrade G.A. Seguin Soaring 1 October 29th 04 06:08 AM
Lightspeed: Upgrade 25XL w/Cell Adaptor or Upgrade to 30 3G Andrew Gideon Piloting 9 August 20th 04 08:36 AM
Lightspeed: Upgrade 25XL w/Cell Adaptor or Upgrade to 30 3G Andrew Gideon Products 9 August 20th 04 08:36 AM