AOPA or Golden Eagle... or what?

Old February 27th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default AOPA or Golden Eagle... or what?

On Feb 27, 2:26 pm, "Allen" wrote:

The AOPA app doesn't let me directly edit fuel on board, # on board,
etc.

Dan

I also use the AOPA Real time flight planner and have no problem editing the
flight plan. Do you have their latest version? Under the "Weather" tab
click on "File FAA flight plan", it gives you a flight plan form you can
change any of the fields on.

--

*H. Allen Smith*

Do those edits get uploaded when you file?

I couldn't tell...
WACO - We are all here, because we are not all there.

Old February 27th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 27, 3:05 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Feb 27, 10:19 am, " wrote:

On Feb 27, 1:15 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
By the time I finsih up with the computer, drive to the airport,
preheat, fuel, yada yada the wx info I saw online has changed.

XM weather has provided the biggest boost to situational awareness
since plexiglas.

Well, I drive a Mooney so I'm looking at what states the storms are
in. If I have to fly clear around Idaho its not a big deal. I could
see if you're driving a 172 the wx picture changes "faster" simply
because your rerouting is much smaller.

-Robert

A Bonanza is pretty fast...

Dan
Old February 27th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Dallas wrote:
I've been using AOPA's Real-Time Flight Planner, but CSC DUATS GoldenEagle
FlightPrep looks more comprehensive. I'd like to know which one is better
and I'm also wondering what else might be out there that I don't know
about.

My question is, what flight planning software do you use?

Typically I use the old Cirrus. I also have been going more to AOPA's
RTFP. I have used GoldenEagle also since it came out and I have one
route that it provides that is really strange and out of the way. I even
contacted CSC on it. They said to call Jepp. No real solution. It give
me a IFR routing that is different from Cirrus and AOPA which are the
same. Just a little quirk. I think it was AOPA that you have to request
either the FAA or both weather or it will not work properly. I think was
doing the flight plan and getting the correct winds aloft.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old February 27th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

wrote in message
On Feb 27, 2:26 pm, "Allen" wrote:

The AOPA app doesn't let me directly edit fuel on board, # on board,
etc.

Dan

I also use the AOPA Real time flight planner and have no problem editing
the
flight plan. Do you have their latest version? Under the "Weather" tab
click on "File FAA flight plan", it gives you a flight plan form you can
change any of the fields on.

--

*H. Allen Smith*

Do those edits get uploaded when you file?

I couldn't tell...

Yes, Don is right. If you look at the end of the text portion of your duat
session it will give you the filed flightplan and tell you if it was
successful or not. It is important to have everything right on the
flightplan (AC type, equipment code, proper time formats, etc.)

--

*H. Allen Smith*
WACO - We are all here, because we are not all there.

Old February 28th 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Man, am I getting old...

I check the weather channel...
Phone call a couple of AWOS along the route of my flight..
If things look like a go, I go to the airport and call flight service
and get a briefer... I get a full briefing and file the flight plan
with him...
Then I preflight the bird, fold the Howie Keefe charts to the proper
pages, and go...
My XM weather is the plexiglass in front of me...
My alternate routing is the nearest airport...
My alternate flight plan is the nearest airport...
yes, I do have moving map GPS, I'm not completely stuck in the buggy
whip era...
I keep moving forward unless I don't like what I see, then I land...
I complete 99% of my flights as filed...

denny
Old February 28th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

My XM weather is the plexiglass in front of me...
My alternate routing is the nearest airport...
My alternate flight plan is the nearest airport...
yes, I do have moving map GPS, I'm not completely stuck in the buggy
whip era...
I keep moving forward unless I don't like what I see, then I land...
I complete 99% of my flights as filed...

denny

Denny, that attitude would save many lives a year if people would
learn to stay on the ground when conditions are bad and land whenever
needed to check less than desirable conditions.

No schedule is so important that you have to die because you pressed
on when it was not right.

Ron Lee
Old March 1st 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 28, 7:20 am, Denny wrote:
Man, am I getting old...

I check the weather channel...
Phone call a couple of AWOS along the route of my flight..
If things look like a go, I go to the airport and call flight service
and get a briefer... I get a full briefing and file the flight plan
with him...
Then I preflight the bird, fold the Howie Keefe charts to the proper
pages, and go...
My XM weather is the plexiglass in front of me...
My alternate routing is the nearest airport...
My alternate flight plan is the nearest airport...
yes, I do have moving map GPS, I'm not completely stuck in the buggy
whip era...
I keep moving forward unless I don't like what I see, then I land...
I complete 99% of my flights as filed...

denny

Well hooray for you.

XM weather provides information that NO plexiglas will reveal -- the
presence of embedded cells.

I'll use the XM and get my chest thumping fix elsewhere.

Dan
Old March 28th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BillJ

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Feb 27, 9:46 am, Dallas wrote:

I've been using AOPA's Real-Time Flight Planner, but CSC DUATS GoldenEagle
FlightPrep looks more comprehensive. I'd like to know which one is better
and I'm also wondering what else might be out there that I don't know
about.

My question is, what flight planning software do you use?

I'm always amazed at how bad flight planning software is with regard
to easy to use, good visuals etc. I use FlightSoft. Its suppose to
superimpose sectional charts but I've never gotten that part to work.
It does do a good job of putting real time weather on your route
though. Lets you know where the big radar returns are etc.

-robert

Flightsoft works great for me and has for many years. Route shown on
downloaded (real) sectionals and/or low altitude IFR charts.