Garmin 430 question

Old July 11th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Garmin 430 question

I was wondering how to program this into the 430, and if it is even
possible. Say you are east of a VOR and ATC gives you a vector to
intercept the 270 radial FROM the VOR and track away from the VOR on
that radial and intercept an airway. The clearance went something
like this:

"Glasair 470XX, fly heading 220, intercept and fly the PDZ 270 to
intercept V394."

Since GPS navigation is TO-TO, how could I get the magenta line on the
screen to be on the 270 radial from the VOR? I guess I could put in
the PDZ VOR as a direct waypoint, then use the OBS button on the 430
and the OBS ring on the VOR head rotate the magenta line drawn from my
present postion to the VOR to rotate and align to the 270 radial. I
would have to set the OBS to 090. That would get the line on the
screen, but I would be flying to the VOR not from it.

How can I do this? BTW, there is no published intersect on V394 that
I am intercepting in this clearance, so I cannot select that waypoint
and fly 270 to it.

Maybe ATC should stop giving these types of clearances and just say
"fly heading 270 and intercept V394".

Old July 12th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike[_22_]

wrote in message
[...]

I don't have the 430, but you should be able to enter a flight plan with
PDZ-V394, push the OBS button and dial in 270. You just might have to fly
the white line instead of the magenta line (assuming the 430 gives you a
white line on the 270 radial and I think it should).

Alternatively you can always just use the NAV receiver, dial in the VOR's
frequency, and do it the old fashioned way which is what I generally do.

ATC is not going to stop giving radial intercepts anytime soon. The
difference between the clearance you got and the clearance you suggested is
ATC knows within reason what path you are going to be on when they put you
on the radial. If they just gave you a vector, they might have to revector
you at a later time which is more work for them. It also makes handoffs
easier as you're flying a known path.

Old July 12th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mike wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

The 430 doesn't have airways. With two 430s this would be easy, using
the OBS function on both. With one 430 I would do as you suggest, set
up the PDZ 270 radial in OBS mode, intercept it, establish a track, then
continue to fly the heading that holds the track, and switch to POM with
the OBS set at 358.

The trick is to remember to turn off OBS before you wonder off past POM
in this case. I don't know about other panel mounts but the Garmin
400/500 retain the course set in OBS mode after you release OBS,
provided you don't do anything else that would modify the course. And,
as you say, you may have to fly the white line instead of the magenta
line sometimes, but that works, at least in heading mode or hand flying.
Old July 12th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Les Izmore

Am I missing something here?

What godly difference could it make whether you track a magenta,
white, or fuschia line on a GPS screen, or have the OBS set to 90 or
270?

It's all the same course over the ground...

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 01:26:21 -0700, Sam Spade

Old July 12th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Les Izmore wrote:
Am I missing something here?

What godly difference could it make whether you track a magenta,
white, or fuschia line on a GPS screen, or have the OBS set to 90 or
270?

It does so long as you are hand flying or using heading mode. Some
autopilots won't understand it in some cases though.

Like flying a back course perhaps?
Old July 13th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Jul 12, 6:05*am, Sam Spade wrote:
Les Izmore wrote:
Am I missing something here?

What godly difference could it make whether you track a magenta,
white, or fuschia line on a GPS screen, or have the OBS set to 90 or
270?

It does so long as you are hand flying or using heading mode. *Some
autopilots won't understand it in some cases though.

Like flying a back course perhaps?

Exactly, since you set 090 on the OBS but you are flying 270, you are
going 180 degrees
in the "wrong" direction on the bearing TO the VOR. You are flying
FROM. Off course, the
autopilot or GPSS will try to turn you all the way around.
Old July 15th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon[_5_]

If you know that you will get this clearance, you would have to creat a user
waypoint using the radial 187 from POM (i.e. V394) and the PDZ 270 radial.
You can title the waypoint "PD270" or something and simply insert it into
your flight plan. The flight plan would then be:

PDZ
PD270
AHEIM

When you create the user waypoint, you will notice that you can leave the
distance field blank and define the waypoint by two different radials. I
tried it on the 430 simulator and it seems to be doing what you hope to
accomplish.

Marco

Old July 19th 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Les Izmore

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 06:05:28 -0700, Sam Spade
wrote:

Les Izmore wrote:
Am I missing something here?

What godly difference could it make whether you track a magenta,
white, or fuschia line on a GPS screen, or have the OBS set to 90 or
270?

It does so long as you are hand flying or using heading mode. Some
autopilots won't understand it in some cases though.

Like flying a back course perhaps?

Those inflatable things that smile while they are being inflated?

Never use them.
Old July 19th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Marco Leon wrote:
If you know that you will get this clearance, you would have to creat a user
waypoint using the radial 187 from POM (i.e. V394) and the PDZ 270 radial.
You can title the waypoint "PD270" or something and simply insert it into
your flight plan. The flight plan would then be:

PDZ
PD270
AHEIM

When you create the user waypoint, you will notice that you can leave the
distance field blank and define the waypoint by two different radials. I
tried it on the 430 simulator and it seems to be doing what you hope to
accomplish.

Marco

Would you explain how you creat a user waypoint using two radials as
opposed to a radial and distance?
Old July 19th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BillJ

Sam Spade wrote:
Marco Leon wrote:
If you know that you will get this clearance, you would have to creat
a user waypoint using the radial 187 from POM (i.e. V394) and the PDZ
270 radial. You can title the waypoint "PD270" or something and simply
insert it into your flight plan. The flight plan would then be:

PDZ
PD270
AHEIM

When you create the user waypoint, you will notice that you can leave
the distance field blank and define the waypoint by two different
radials. I tried it on the 430 simulator and it seems to be doing what
you hope to accomplish.

Marco

Would you explain how you creat a user waypoint using two radials as
opposed to a radial and distance?

I have a 530W but expect the 430 would do the same. On Page 135 of the
manual it says you can do what Marco says. There is a line for Ref Wpt,
RADial and DIS. Leave distance blank

Next line allows entry of another waypoint (e.g. vor) with blank for Radial.

Works fine.