LAHSO Procedures

Old July 8th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RandyL[_2_]

Default LAHSO Procedures

I have a question that has come up in another newsgroup, that I have
always wondered about. When I received my flight training, my instructor
told me not to accept any Land And Hold Short Operations (LAHSO)
instructions from ATC until I had received training in those procedures -
which I never did. Does a licensed pilot (not a student) have to be
officially "certified" to perform any LAHSO procedures? And if so, how does
one go about becoming certified? Or can any licensed pilot perform LAHSO
procedures, as long as he has first received training in said procedures? If
that is the case, how does ATC know that a pilot has received LAHSO
training? Does ATC just assume that if a pilot accepts LAHSO instruction,
that the pilot is familiar and has been trained in those procedures? Is
LAHSO procedure training something that just needs to be logged in your
logbook and endorsed by a CFI? Just curious...

Randy L.

--
Remember: Any landing that you can walk away from,
is a landing that you can be fined, sued, or prosecuted for.

Old July 9th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

I'll agree with Steve's reply..
There is not log book endorsement for LAHSO.
You as the pilot can either choose to accept or deny the LASHO "request"
from ATC.
Can you readily identify the point that you are to hold short of? Normally a
crossing runway and there should be markings on the landing runway that is
your limit.
Is your approach " under control" and you feel you can safely land and stop
before the designated LAHSO limit.
Remember.. you are giving up part of your runway.. and any options of a go
around.. the tower and the other pilot is banking on you being able to do
what you say you will.

If it's your home airport, you may be familiar with it. If it's not your
home.. it's your decision.
Is the tower asking you to LAHSO and taking the last 2,000ft of a 10,000ft
runway.. leaving you 8,000ft to land and stop in your C-172?
Or is he taking 2000ft from a 5000ft runway and leaving you only 3000ft. Not
an issue to land most light GA aircraft in 3000ft.
But if you accept it.. the pressure is on to perform.

BT

Old July 9th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-07-09, BT wrote:
Remember.. you are giving up part of your runway.. and any options of a go
around..

Sorry, but that's incorrect. See the last sentence of AIM 4-3-11(b)(5):

"A LAHSO clearance does not preclude a rejected landing."

If you need to go around after accepting a LAHSO clearance, you should
maintain safe separation from other aircraft and notify the controller ASAP
(see 4-3-11(b)(6)).
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old July 9th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

good catch... thanx Maynard..
and then you could end up with a near miss at the intersection
BT

Old July 9th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BillJ

RandyL wrote:
[...]

The controllers know your aircraft type and they have a list (at least
they did at CLE when RW 36 was a LAHSO) of compatible types vs. landing
distance. So if they request it,they have a good idea it is safe.
Old July 9th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

RandyL wrote:
[...]

While there is no requirement for a PP to have any sort of certification
to accept a LAHSO, accepting one is like accepting any other clearance
from ATC. If you don't know how to do it say "unable." If you are
uncomfortable with the specifics of a LAHSO say "unable."

I do think it is kind of strange that while your CFI understood that a
LAHSO clearance shouldn't be taken lightly he didn't teach them to you
before he sent you out for your check ride.
Old July 9th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RandyL[_2_]

Thank you to all who responded. This has helped clear up this question for
me. I appreciate the help!

Randy L.

--
"When making an emergency off-field landing at night,
turn on the landing light just prior to touchdown.

Old July 9th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven Barnes

*Student* pilots cannot accept LAHSO. As others have said, once you've got a
certificate, no problem.

Old July 9th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki[_2_]

RandyL wrote:
Thank you to all who responded. This has helped clear up this question
for me. I appreciate the help!

Randy L.

If you have listened to ATIS (as you should have) it should have
informed you that LAHSO are in efect so you can be prepped for
the request and have time to review the runway lengths and
airport diagram if you want.

But as other posters have stated, it usually no problem for a
typical small GA aircraft (the kind you likely be flying as a PP)
to deal with any LAHSO request you might get. If you are rusty
then practice some short field landings.

Accident Procedures YFCpilots Soaring 0 June 9th 08 07:45 PM
Take-off practices and procedures... EridanMan Piloting 9 November 17th 06 05:34 PM
Emergency Procedures Mitty Instrument Flight Rules 30 July 18th 06 03:25 PM
DC ADIZ procedures? Roy Smith General Aviation 4 December 24th 04 03:02 PM
New Security Procedures at HPN Rosspilot Piloting 12 January 2nd 04 09:28 PM