Flying women movies???

Old August 5th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

Default Flying women movies???

I have an impressionable young daughter that doesn't seem to have an
interest in flying. However she has an interest in successful women.
Does anyone have a recommendation of movies that spotlight women who
fly? Remember, this is a pre-teen, so it has to be family oriented.
I'm hoping this will spark an interest.
Lou
Old August 5th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

The Flying Nun, of course.

Bertie
Old August 5th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Lou wrote:
I have an impressionable young daughter that doesn't seem to have an
interest in flying. However she has an interest in successful women.
Does anyone have a recommendation of movies that spotlight women who
fly? Remember, this is a pre-teen, so it has to be family oriented.
I'm hoping this will spark an interest.
Lou

There was an interesting made for TV piece done on Amelia Earhart in
1994. I believe it was called "Amelia Earhart, the Final Flight"

There are others out here I'm sure, but this specific movie I know deals
for the most part with factual information instead of simply a
screenplay made for pure entertainment and I take it this is what you
would prefer to have her see.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 5th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Lou wrote:
I have an impressionable young daughter that doesn't seem to have an
interest in flying. However she has an interest in successful women.
Does anyone have a recommendation of movies that spotlight women who
fly? Remember, this is a pre-teen, so it has to be family oriented.
I'm hoping this will spark an interest.

Fly Away Home ? (Anna Paquin)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_Away_Home
Old August 5th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Lou" wrote in message
Does anyone have a recommendation of movies that spotlight women who
fly? Remember, this is a pre-teen, so it has to be family oriented.

The heroes are not women, and I don't know if you would consider it "family
oriented" but it was "Top Gun" that seemed to do it for my daughter. She had
her Private certificate before she bothered getting a driver's license. We were
lucky in stumbling upon Mary Gaffney, who was one of my daughter's first flight
instructors and a wonderful role model. It isn't often that you can go to the
NASM and find your flight instructor's picture on the wall!

You can, (and should) expose your children to all sorts of things that YOU
are interested in, but you can't MAKE them be interested in anything. They have
to do that for themselves.

Vaughn

Old August 5th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Lou wrote:
I have an impressionable young daughter that doesn't seem to have an
interest in flying. However she has an interest in successful women.
Does anyone have a recommendation of movies that spotlight women who
fly? Remember, this is a pre-teen, so it has to be family oriented.
I'm hoping this will spark an interest.

Here's a documentary I found but have no idea of the quality:

"Wings of their Own" 2004

the 20th century. Through vintage black-and-white photographs and
interviews with over 150 women pilots, film director Mary Scott chronicles
how women (who have consistently held 6 percent of U.S. pilots' jobs)
started in early aviation (Amelia Earhart, African-American aviation
pioneer Bessie Coleman, the Ninety-Nines) and continue to blaze new trails
in commercial aviation (Delta Airlines' Captain Terry London Rinehart), the
armed forces (U.S. Air Force pilot Terry Van den Dolder), and race
competition (pilot Julie Clark). The documentary also covers aviation
history, such as the World War II-era WASP fliers (founded by Jackie
Cochran) and the Mercury 13 women astronauts-in-training."

Summary quoted (and DVD available) from he
http://www.makebelievetv.com/WingsOfTheirOwn.html

Lastly, Susan Nicosia, a professor who teaches psychology, has compiled a
long list of aviation-related movies on this web site:

http://faculty.dwc.edu/nicosia/apcm_...ion_movies.htm

Of those, these two definitely deal with women fliers (some others may
also):

"Ladies Courageous" 1944

Plot: "The story of the Women's Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron, a unit of
female pilots during WW II who flew bombers from the factories to their
final destinations." From: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036529/

"Women in the Wind" 1939

Plot: "A pilot enters an aviation race in order to win enough money to pay
for her brother's medical treatment, and encounters difficulty with a rival
pilot." From: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032142/
Old August 5th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

You can, (and should) expose your children to all sorts of things that YOU
are interested in, but you can't MAKE them be interested in anything. They have
to do that for themselves.

Vaughn

Agreed, thats why I'm trying this back door approach.
Dudley, I thought about Amelia Earhart, but considering
her ending, I thought it would be better to go with someone
that has lived through her experiences. I'm doing a search for
Peggy Wagstaff now.
Lou
Old August 5th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Lou wrote:
You can, (and should) expose your children to all sorts of things that YOU
are interested in, but you can't MAKE them be interested in anything. They have
to do that for themselves.

Vaughn

Agreed, thats why I'm trying this back door approach.
Dudley, I thought about Amelia Earhart, but considering
her ending, I thought it would be better to go with someone
that has lived through her experiences. I'm doing a search for
Peggy Wagstaff now.
Lou

I take it you mean Patty Wagstaff. Patty is a friend of mine and a very
fine person. Please feel free to access her web site and have your
daughter write to her. Please also feel free to have her mention my name.
I'm sure Patty will answer her when she has the time. Her schedule is
pretty tight.
Patty can be reached by the public at www.pattywagstaff.com/

Hope this is some help.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 5th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Jim Logajan wrote:
Here's a documentary I found but have no idea of the quality:

"Wings of their Own" 2004

Found a trailer for the above:

http://blip.tv/file/49188

Old August 5th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Patty can be reached by the public at www.pattywagstaff.com/

Yeow. She has a new look. What a rock star!

The last time I saw Wagstaff fly the younger elements of the crowd
looked bored. It bothered me until I realized it's because she makes it
look so easy that one might suppose anybody could do it.

-c