Citabria Fuel-Flow Problem

Old May 7th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
quietguy

Default Citabria Fuel-Flow Problem

The A/C in question is a 1974 Bellanca 7ECA, re-engined with an O-320
so it's effectively a 7GCAA. It belongs to the Offutt AFB Aero Club
and has seen very little use, often sitting for weeks at a time until
a week ago when I began taking dual in it 2-3 times a week to get my
tailwheel endorsement. The fuel system is not for inverted flight, so
no header tank -- two 18-gallon wing tanks with check valves to a
single vent on the left, crossflow pipes to the aft fuel manifold
under the baggage compartment and crossflow pipes to the forward fuel
manifold on the firewall. Caps are non-vented and the gaskets are
like new.

This A/C is drawing 3-4 times as much fuel from the left tank as from
the right and it's not crossflowing on the ground, even overnight.
We've made right patterns as well as lefts -- makes no difference. We
haven't done any extended S&L flight, just 11 NM to Plattsmouth, NE
for pattern work. The club's A&P has blown out the feed and vent
lines and got a good blast into the right tank from both. We're
getting a free flow of clean gas out of all four drains.

So what's our next move? Anybody had this problem?
Old May 7th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 7 May 2008 11:17:24 -0700 (PDT), quietguy
wrote in
:

The fuel system is not for inverted flight, so
no header tank -- two 18-gallon wing tanks with check valves to a
single vent on the left, crossflow pipes to the aft fuel manifold
under the baggage compartment and crossflow pipes to the forward fuel
manifold on the firewall. Caps are non-vented and the gaskets are
like new.

This A/C is drawing 3-4 times as much fuel from the left tank as from
the right and it's not crossflowing on the ground, even overnight.
We've made right patterns as well as lefts -- makes no difference. We
haven't done any extended S&L flight, just 11 NM to Plattsmouth, NE
for pattern work. The club's A&P has blown out the feed and vent
lines and got a good blast into the right tank from both. We're
getting a free flow of clean gas out of all four drains.

I'm not able to accurately visualize the fuel system piping from your
description, but has the A&P checked for a stuck check valve in the
vent piping?

Old May 7th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On May 8, 6:17*am, quietguy wrote:

This A/C is drawing 3-4 times as much fuel from the left tank as from
the right and it's not crossflowing on the ground, even overnight.

The lack of crossfeed sounds like the cross feed system is the
problem. Is the crossfeed supplied by the fuel selector being set at
both or a separate cross feed pipe? If you've had water sit in a line
for a long time some corrosion may have gunked up the line from the
right tank -I've seen that in ally pipes connected to a valve with
steel and brass parts.

Cheers
Old May 8th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

On May 7, 3:39 pm, WingFlaps wrote:

The lack of crossfeed sounds like the cross feed system is the
problem. Is the crossfeed supplied by the fuel selector being set at
both or a separate cross feed pipe? If you've had water sit in a line
for a long time some corrosion may have gunked up the line from the
right tank -I've seen that in ally pipes connected to a valve with
steel and brass parts.

There is no "crossfeed" system in a Citabria, but it will
crossflow through the line tees, Crossfeed systems are found in
multis.
There are two tanks, each having two outlets, one near the
front and one near the rear. The two front lines run down the
structural tubing below the front spar and meet at a tee above the
shutoff valve. The two rear lines run back and down behind the cabin
and tee together at the bottom of the airplane, and a single line runs
from there forward to join up with the teed-together front lines. The
fuel proceeds through that point through the shutoff and thence to the
strainer.
The vent is located under the left wing, and is plumbed into
the outboard end of the left tank. The inboard end of the left tank
has a vent fitting that is connected across the top of the cockpit to
the right tank with no check valve between, so that the right tank is
vented to the left and the left is vented outside. Everything will
work well as long as the fuel caps aren't leaking or have been
mistakenly replaced with vented caps, which will screw up the tank
pressures and cause uneven flow.
The OP says that all vent and fuel lines were blown clear and
were flowing OK. Yet the thing won't feed evenly or crossflow even
overnight, which has me puzzled mightily.
We have a 7ECA and a 7GCBC, both with this simple system, and
the only hassle I've ever had with either was an uneven flow problem
in the ECA caused by a vented cap that a previous owner had installed
on the RH tank, and in the GCBC when the LH cap gasket split and
sucked lots of fuel overboard.
I would suspect, at the least, that in the OP's airplane some of
the short lengths of rubber hose that join the various bits of tubing
are collapsed internally, allowing air to blow through when checking
and leaving the impression the the lines are clear, but collapse and
restrict the flow the rest of the time. Those hoses should be replaced
every five years to avoid the deterioration that comes with age and
especially with Mogas. The hose will look fine on the outside but the
inner liner can swell shut and restrict the flow. Asthmatic hoses.

Dan

Old May 8th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
quietguy

On May 7, 9:03*pm, wrote:

a very informative post

I'll go over it with the club's A&P tomorrow and post the findings
when we've gotten to the bottom of this. Thanks!

Old May 8th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

quietguy wrote in news:b8a07cf2-f01e-4dba-9793-
:

[...]

seen minor fed variations, but not like this. I have th emanuals out at
the hangar and access to a good AI tomorrow night, so I'll ask him. He's
rebuilt mine so he should know.

Bertie
Old May 8th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
[...]

Of coarse you can Bertie Buttlipp, cuz you know everything, you know
everyone, you've done everything.

Old May 8th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:1WBUj.5949$1M1.633
@newsfe23.lga:

[...]

Not everythingk just more than you, wannave boi.

BTW, you know the answer?

Didn't think so.

Bertie
Old May 9th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

[...]

OK, talked to my guy. He had several suggestions. One is to drain it all
dry and then blow some air (carefully!) into the right tank and see if
you can hear it coming across into the left tank by listening at the
filler cap.
Possible problems he came up with were a crushed or swollen fuel line
downstream of where you tested previously, or, he thought more likely,
incorrect placement of the little plastic fuel vent deflector and/or the
location of the fuel vent itself. There are specs for the location of
these if you look in the manuals. But for the fact that the fuel doesn't
migrate when parked, I would have said this is definitely your problem
For instance, Cessnas with bent or incorrectly positioned vents are
chronically out of balance.

Bertie
Old May 9th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

OK, talked to my guy. He had several suggestions. One is to drain it all
dry and then blow some air (carefully!) into the right tank and see if
you can hear it coming across into the left tank by listening at the
filler cap.
Possible problems he came up with were a crushed or swollen fuel line
downstream of where you tested previously, or, he thought more likely,
incorrect placement of the little plastic fuel vent deflector and/or the
location of the fuel vent itself. There are specs for the location of
these if you look in the manuals. But for the fact that the fuel doesn't
migrate when parked, I would have said this is definitely your problem
For instance, Cessnas with bent or incorrectly positioned vents are
chronically out of balance.

Bertie

Oh yeah, that's a lot of help. Where did you find this wanna boi, Wikipedia?

Citabria Fuel-Flow Problem quietguy Piloting 45 May 24th 08 01:41 PM
Fuel Flow and Peak EGT Kobra Owning 21 May 2nd 07 02:02 AM
fuel flow on the cheap pittss1c Home Built 3 May 7th 06 10:12 PM
V8 fuel flow Robert Bates Home Built 34 January 24th 05 03:41 AM
Fuel Flow Monitoring EDR Owning 4 October 18th 03 03:10 AM