My 9th Wedding Anniversary Trip, To Newport, OR Carb Ice & Real Engine Out "Long"

Old June 28th 04, 06:01 PM
NW_PILOT

Yes, when the engine started to run ruff at 8,300' I put the carb heat on
and started to descend.
"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
NW_PILOT wrote:

I start to descend down to warmer air all of a sudden at 7,500' I get
silence' the engine quits prop is just wind milling!

You were running with Carb Heat at this point?

- Andrew

Old June 28th 04, 06:03 PM
NW_PILOT

I like the idea of a carb temp gauge ware can I get one?

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
I was taught and have read in several publications that you should
always use full carb heat if you use it at all.

I would agree with that. The only possible exception being when you have

carb temp gauge and can ensure that partial carb heat produces

temperatures
well above freezing.

I don't think there's really any significant advantage to using partial

carb
heat, and at altitude there's generally no problem running with carb heat
full on all of the time, if that's what it takes to keep the carb clear.
(Nod to the pedants around he possible exceptions being things like
flying through a cloud of volcanic ash, that sort of thing)

Pete

Old June 28th 04, 06:06 PM
NW_PILOT

Yep, 100% possible I had carb heat on seemed to clear it up a bit then I
decided to descend and it iced up all the way untill engine out with carb
heat on.

"Cecil Chapman" wrote in message
. com...
I've always wondered about this suggestion? Here's what I'm thinking: If

fly along and start getting carb ice, generally, I can apply carb heat and
eventually (hopefully) eliminate the condition. At that point, I am aware
that the conditions are conducive to carb ice and take whatever actions I
deem appropriate. BUT,,, IF I have the carb heat on full and I still
manage to ice-up, now I am in a condition that allow me few options to
address - there is no other fall back at that point.

Is there something I'm missing? Is the second scenario I'm describing
impossible? I'd be curious about your thoughts.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

NW_PILOT wrote:

is it wise to cruise
with a little bit of carb heat on in the conditions I was in today?

I was taught and have read in several publications that you should

always
use full
carb heat if you use it at all.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Old June 28th 04, 06:16 PM
Cecil Chapman

Yep, 100% possible I had carb heat on seemed to clear it up a bit then I
decided to descend and it iced up all the way until engine out with carb
heat on.

Yeah, I had that happen on my last carb ice 'adventure', but I've always
presumed it was because the carburetor was ingesting large amounts of ice
and water as carb heat was slowly melting the ice that had accumulated in
the carb's throat - which was causing the engine to intermittently quit.
That is,,,, that I had waited longer than I should have before applying carb
heat and was now melting a large amount of ice that was impeding the carb
throat.

This suggestion is not meant to be a shameless plug, but I'd be interested
to know how closely your experience paralleled with my last (i.e. carb ice
prob), if you wouldn't mind taking a peek at this link to the description of
my experience and could e-mail me later after reading it - telling me how
closely our two experiences paralleled.... Just curious.

The link is: http://www.bayareapilot.com/7700AThollister.htm
email me at:

=-----

Old June 28th 04, 06:20 PM
Cecil Chapman

If you're in conditions where full carb-heat won't prevent carb-ice, what
difference does it make whether you learn that full carb-heat is
insufficient quickly or slowly?

What I meant was that one could be flying into gradually increasing severity
of carb ice potential with the carb heat kept full on. That is, there
wouldn't be any initial warning that conditions were becoming conducive to
carb icing. If the heat was off, the very first instance of the least
severe (hopefully) carb ice would begin to occur, before moving further into
a condition that was conducive to even faster carb ice accretion - so
perhaps, one would miss the initial 'warning' of possibly more progressively
severe conditions that were waiting just a little beyond where one was
flying.

=-----

Old June 28th 04, 06:42 PM
Peter Duniho

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
I like the idea of a carb temp gauge ware can I get one?

Talk to your mechanic. He'll know where to acquire one, and will have to
install it for you (unless you're an A&P yourself, in which case you
probably already know where to get one ).

Old June 28th 04, 06:44 PM
Peter Duniho

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Yep, 100% possible I had carb heat on seemed to clear it up a bit then I
decided to descend and it iced up all the way untill engine out with carb
heat on.

But you were descending. Along with using carb heat, one needs to remember
to push the power up every now and then so that the engine is actually
providing enough heat to melt the ice.

Your experience isn't an argument in favor of partial carb heat.

Pete

Old June 28th 04, 09:10 PM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:44:07 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Yep, 100% possible I had carb heat on seemed to clear it up a bit then I
decided to descend and it iced up all the way untill engine out with carb
heat on.

But you were descending. Along with using carb heat, one needs to remember
to push the power up every now and then so that the engine is actually
providing enough heat to melt the ice.

Your experience isn't an argument in favor of partial carb heat.

Did someone post the information about the recent British air
authority decision that pilots could not be trusted to properly apply
carb heat and that the situation ought to be taken out of their hands?

The solution, they say, is to make the application of carb heat either
not needed (fuel injection) or automatic, like it was for years before
fuel injection in cars.

Corky Scott
Old June 28th 04, 09:55 PM
gatt

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message news:doWdncJyT4TZz0LdRVn-

All I can say is what a trip I never had carburetor ice so bad that the
engine went out what a rush it was and the wife really enjoyed the little

1
day vacation in paradise.

This happened to me on my private long x-ctry, inbound and low over Walla
Walla. I remembered the end of The Great Santini where the pilot augers
rather than eject over a populated area and thinking "Oh, this is crap."
Reported problems, the carb heater straightened things out, I landed and
called the FBO to tell them I was going to take a short walk before starting
the return trip.

Did better than the other student an hour behind me on the same trip. On
his way home, he circled over the factory where he works a bunch of times,
near the bend in the Columbia, got confused and ended up in the MOA north of
Yakima. Turns out he followed the river in the wrong direction instead of
following his DG and waypoints.

-c

Old June 28th 04, 09:56 PM
gatt

"Tony Cox" wrote in message news:0DJDc.15648

Well, it probably wasn't vapour lock then. Anyway, sounds
as if you did a great job!

Agreed. Way to communicate and keep a cool head, Steven. BTW, hope your
wife had an enjoyable flight despite the drama.

-c

4800nm trip complete! SeeAndAvoid Piloting 2 June 19th 04 05:58 PM
Coast to coast trip finished :-) Filip Zawadiak Piloting 6 May 5th 04 08:45 PM
8th-grader wins trip to military jet flight camp Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 16th 04 08:40 PM
First long-distance trip Marc Piloting 2 December 16th 03 04:03 AM
Reflections on first trip to Canada from US Mike & Janet Larke Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 12:57 AM