Thread chaser for oil screen housing?

Old September 23rd 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Default Thread chaser for oil screen housing?

Looks like my threads are hosed up where the oil screen screws in on the
back case of my (Continental) A-65. Heard it mentioned on a Swift
bulletin board that there is such a thing as a thread chaser to (I
assume) re-work the threads a bit and/or to clean them out to prevent
damage to the brass threads on the screen. Where would a guy find one
of these beasties? It's pretty big, ya know...something like an inch
and a half or maybe even bigger...

I grounded until I can get that fixed!! I don't relish the thought of
removing the engine and then taking off the back case for re-work or
replacement (they are probably scarce as hen's teeth)...

Scott
Corben Junior Ace
Old September 23rd 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
.Blueskies.

:

Search for thread files he http://www.mcmaster.com/

Old September 23rd 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Chief McGee

Not sure I know what you are looking for. Do you need a tap or a threading
die? What is the thread OD and pitch? Left or right hand? I have some old
tooling from the Continental factory, But I am not familiar enough with the
engines to know what I have.

.. .

Old September 24th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fly

El Reno aviation sells the F&M oil filter stc has a chaser.
Maybe they would rent it to you.

Kent Felkins
Tulsa

.. .

Old September 24th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

That was the ticket! Have the tool and a set of dies on order. Thank
you!!!

Scott
Hopefully UNgrounded Corben Junior Ace

Old September 28th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Larry

You can also seal off the strainer one last time (with screen cut off)
and then install a spin on oil filter. Added weight is only problem.

Larry
Fly wrote:
El Reno aviation sells the F&M oil filter stc has a chaser.
Maybe they would rent it to you.

Kent Felkins
Tulsa

.. .

Old September 29th 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Thought about that (Airwolf filter system), but I'd still have the same
problem...screwing in the adapter without messing up its threads. I did
buy an internal thread repair tool from McMaster-Carr as suggested by
someone here on the list. The problem now is that the tool is way too
long to fit between the housing and the firewall and I REALLY don't want
to pull the engine off, so I'm going to make a smaller version and put
the dies on it and give that a try...It's a fairly simple tool, so it
should be easy to make a mini version...

Scott