Aero Advantage closing shop.

Old May 10th 04, 01:28 AM
Jay Masino

Roy Smith wrote:
It's easy to build an electric motor which spins a disk at 10,000 RPM.
It doesn't cost much either... http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3120560/

I'm not sure that 10,000 is enough. Plus, the mass you'd probably be
spinning in a gyro might be greater than a disk. The mechanics of
allowing the gyro to pivot in both roll and pitch, with very little
friction is also not trivial. Finally, you have to do this in a manner
that will withstand environmental abuse, and run for years, reliably,
without killing someone.

The point I was trying to make is that there are often many, many
technical reasons why something is designed the way it is, and why it
might cost what it does. Jay often spouts off on this type of
topic without having adequate background on these types of engineering
issues.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old May 10th 04, 02:21 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Personally, I think the fact that we're flying around behind vacuum
instruments in the 21st century is patently absurd.

Fine. Then quitcherbitchin and spring the bucks for the electric system. You're only
flying behind a vacuum system because you're a cheapskate (as am I).

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old May 10th 04, 02:23 AM
G.R. Patterson III

David Megginson wrote:

That one might
not go over so well, though, since it discourages people from suing even
when they do have a legitimate case.

I agree, so my variation of your idea is that punitive damages go into a fund that
pays the winner's legal costs.

Old May 10th 04, 02:26 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Masino wrote:

I suspect it's a lot easier to get a gyro to spin at 10 or 15,000 RPM (or
whatever) using vanes and vaccum, than it is to design a reliable electric
motor to spin the gyro at that speed.

Actually, the main problem is building them small enough. That's what makes the
electric gyros so expensive.

Old May 10th 04, 02:39 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Jay Masino wrote:

I suspect it's a lot easier to get a gyro to spin at 10 or 15,000 RPM (or
whatever) using vanes and vaccum, than it is to design a reliable electric
motor to spin the gyro at that speed.

Actually, the main problem is building them small enough. That's what makes
the
electric gyros so expensive.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.

I wonder how long it's going to take for things like ring laser gyros to
become cheap enough for GA use.
Old May 10th 04, 02:56 AM
Jay Honeck

The point I was trying to make is that there are often many, many
technical reasons why something is designed the way it is, and why it
might cost what it does. Jay often spouts off on this type of
topic without having adequate background on these types of engineering
issues.

Actually, I was referring to the new line of solid state electric AIs -- no
internal spinning parts to wear out or fail.

I saw one at SNF for less than $500 -- uncertified, of course.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 10th 04, 02:58 AM
Jay Honeck

Fine. Then quitcherbitchin and spring the bucks for the electric system.
You're only
flying behind a vacuum system because you're a cheapskate (as am I).

It's amazing when spending something approaching $1500 for two lousy vacuum
instruments makes me a "cheapskate"...

Gotta love aviation!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 10th 04, 04:42 AM
Kyler Laird

Roy Smith writes:

I wonder how long it's going to take for things like ring laser gyros to
become cheap enough for GA use.

While you're waiting, consider a MEMS-based system.
http://www.xbow.com/General_info/gyro_guide.htm

--kyler
Old May 10th 04, 05:36 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"David Megginson" wrote in message
ogers.com...
zip wrote:

Do you know why ultralight piilots are flying Rotax two strokes? Because

the
company that makes them has NO assets in the USA, liniting the damage

that
can be done to them by silly lawsuits. Same with motorcycle helmets,

there
are NO manufacturers wuth assets in the U.S. Want to save american jobs?
Stop frivolous profit oriented lawsuits.

It's an easy problem to fix, if you American voters cared enough to make

it
an election issue: just revise the law so that punitive damages in a law
suite go to the government instead of the plaintiff.

That violates separaton of powers and creates overlap with civil law- not a
good idea, as then they make it even worse to fill their coffers. Look at
how much of traffic fines are merely to fill the revenue chest rather than
promote safety. MOF, many jurisdictions compromise safety to as to encourage
traffic violations and the revenue they generate.

For example, if I get
injured by someone, and the judge and jury determine that my injuries are
worth 500K plus legal costs, then I get 500K plus legal costs. If they

also
decide to award 50M punitive damages to teach the defendant a lesson, that
money should go to the government like any other fine would.

See above.

If lawyers
cannot hope for a cut of the (enormous) punitive damages, they'll be less
likely to take on trivial litigation.

See below.

Another alternative is the system that we have here in Canada (and, I

think,
in the U.K. and other Commonwealth countries, though I'm not sure). The
loser in a civil case normally pays the winner's costs, so I'm not about

The entire world outside the US has "Loser Pays"...and it works.

Punitives to the government is an "easy out" with dire consequences.

Old May 10th 04, 09:30 AM
Kai Glaesner

I wonder how long it's going to take for things like ring laser gyros to
become cheap enough for GA use.

While you're waiting, consider a MEMS-based system.
http://www.xbow.com/General_info/gyro_guide.htm

I think Garmin has found some (Comparatively) cheap solution for that in
their G1000

Regards

Kai