Speedbrakes for a Bonanza: Opinions?

Old January 12th 05, 01:22 PM
Peter R.

markjenn ) wrote:

They're not a bad idea on some aircraft, but Bonanzas, with their 154K gear
speeds, really don't need them.

In his Avweb articles (posted in this thread), John Deakin expressed the
same opinion.

The reason I was considering them had to do with the type of airports in
which I fly. The majority of my flying is for Angel Flight Northeast,
which brings me into Teterboro and Boston Logan frequently. If I could
fly at 160-170 all the way to the outer marker, it would certainly make
fitting in to the traffic flow much easier.

But, cost is certainly an issue and if I am lacking in skills to slow
the aircraft down, then this is something I should explore. I was going
to take a Bonanza Proficiency course last October, but unfortunately a
cylinder cracked and started this extended maintenance period.

I also think that shock-cooling is an overrated thing, but that's
another discussion.

I am certainly too low time to have any experience with this, so I have
to rely on others' experiences.

The only fact that sort of sways me into the shock cooling camp is what
Cape Air does with their Cessna 402s. The head of our local flight
school used to fly with Cape Air and told me about their strict policy
of using all drag-inducing devices to descend long before they reduce
power. As a result of demonstrated engine reliability, Cape Air was
able to receive a TBO extension for their C402 engines.

This policy was discussed in an Aviation Consumer article last year.

--
Peter

Old January 12th 05, 04:33 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Peter R. wrote:
: The only fact that sort of sways me into the shock cooling camp is what
: Cape Air does with their Cessna 402s. The head of our local flight
: school used to fly with Cape Air and told me about their strict policy
: of using all drag-inducing devices to descend long before they reduce
: power. As a result of demonstrated engine reliability, Cape Air was
: able to receive a TBO extension for their C402 engines.

I've never seen a Cape Air plane flying above 1500'. Usually Cape Approach,
or Hyannis/Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket tower calls 'em as traffic "well
below" me.

I will ask about their engine management procedures - I know quite a few Cape
Air pilots - but I don't remember them doing anything out of the ordinary.
--
Aaron C.
Old January 12th 05, 05:32 PM
Matt Barrow

"Peter R." wrote in message
markjenn ) wrote:

They're not a bad idea on some aircraft, but Bonanzas, with their 154K

gear
speeds, really don't need them.

In his Avweb articles (posted in this thread), John Deakin expressed the
same opinion.

The reason I was considering them had to do with the type of airports in
which I fly. The majority of my flying is for Angel Flight Northeast,
which brings me into Teterboro and Boston Logan frequently. If I could
fly at 160-170 all the way to the outer marker, it would certainly make
fitting in to the traffic flow much easier.

While the Bonanza is a slippery devil, they're not that hard to bleed off
speed when you have a few miles from the FAF.

But, cost is certainly an issue and if I am lacking in skills to slow
the aircraft down, then this is something I should explore. I was going
to take a Bonanza Proficiency course last October, but unfortunately a
cylinder cracked and started this extended maintenance period.

You'll get much more, and enduring, "mileage" from the BPPP
(http://www.bppp.org/main.asp) and from the Advanced Pilot Seminars
http://www.advancedpilot.com/course.html (I take it you have GAMIjectors in
your Bonanza??)

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old January 12th 05, 06:39 PM
zatatime

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:22:13 -0500, Peter R.
wrote:

But, cost is certainly an issue and if I am lacking in skills to slow
the aircraft down, then this is something I should explore.

Why not build the skills? It'll probably cost less, you'll be a
better pilot overall, and I'll bet you have fun doing it. If your
ever deep in failures, the skill will help you more than a gadget ever
will, i.e. save you life.

..02
Old January 12th 05, 10:28 PM
Peter R.

Matt Barrow ) wrote:

You'll get much more, and enduring, "mileage" from the BPPP
(http://www.bppp.org/main.asp) and from the Advanced Pilot Seminars
http://www.advancedpilot.com/course.html

I most definitely plan on taking the BPPP course as soon as the engine
is comfortably broken in.

(I take it you have GAMIjectors in your Bonanza??)

Yes, as well as Tornado Alley's turbo-normalization system.

--
Peter

Old January 13th 05, 12:36 AM
Matt Barrow

"Peter R." wrote in message
Matt Barrow ) wrote:

You'll get much more, and enduring, "mileage" from the BPPP
(http://www.bppp.org/main.asp) and from the Advanced Pilot Seminars
http://www.advancedpilot.com/course.html

I most definitely plan on taking the BPPP course as soon as the engine
is comfortably broken in.

(I take it you have GAMIjectors in your Bonanza??)

Yes, as well as Tornado Alley's turbo-normalization system.

Then you'll definitely want to take the Advanced Pilot Seminar, so as to
keep your new engine in prime shape.

Which model Bo do you have? I have a B36TC but swapped the engine at TBO
for a Millennium TN IO-550, all done by the Western Skyways
http://www.westernskyways.com/turbo_es.html

--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 13th 05, 12:47 AM

Unless there is a very odd reason, the round rubber speed brakes
extendable on the bottom work fine.

Why add any weight for this at all? Get to adding stuff, pretty
soon they fly like pigs. Keep it light.

My opinion. Bill Hale BPPP

Old January 13th 05, 01:54 AM
Peter R.

Matt Barrow ) wrote:

Which model Bo do you have?

A '73 V35B.

I have a B36TC but swapped the engine at TBO
for a Millennium TN IO-550, all done by the Western Skyways
http://www.westernskyways.com/turbo_es.html

Very nice. After some research, I opted to stay with the IO-520 and
went with a GAMISpec overhauled engine with Millennium Taperfin
cylinders.

--
Peter

Old January 13th 05, 04:30 AM
Jon A.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:50:22 -0800, "markjenn"
wrote:

They're not a bad idea on some aircraft, but Bonanzas, with their 154K gear
speeds, really don't need them. I also think that shock-cooling is an
overrated thing, but that's another discussion.

Some Bonanzas have gear speeds at 100mph