Speedbrakes for a Bonanza: Opinions?

Old January 13th 05, 04:47 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Jon A. wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:50:22 -0800, "markjenn"
wrote:

They're not a bad idea on some aircraft, but Bonanzas, with their 154K gear
speeds, really don't need them. I also think that shock-cooling is an
overrated thing, but that's another discussion.

Some Bonanzas have gear speeds at 100mph

I have 100 mph gear speed on my 1946 Johnson Rocket -- I have found the
best way to bleed off speed is to do the 360 overhead approach, where
you overfly the runway, on desired runway heading, at pattern altitude
and "break" to the downwind (assuming that nobody is already on
downwind), reducing throttle as speed bleeds off. i hit gear speed about
the 180 degree point, drop the gear, drop flaps even with the TD point
and continue with a short base and final.

If you do it right, you won't have to add any power and can make the
numbers with a nice 3-pointer. This also works great in a T-34.
Old January 13th 05, 05:45 AM
Matt Barrow

wrote:

They're not a bad idea on some aircraft, but Bonanzas, with their 154K

gear
speeds, really don't need them. I also think that shock-cooling is an
overrated thing, but that's another discussion.

Some Bonanzas have gear speeds at 100mph

Which ones?

--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 13th 05, 06:59 AM
markjenn

The reason I was considering them had to do with the type of airports in
which I fly. The majority of my flying is for Angel Flight Northeast,
which brings me into Teterboro and Boston Logan frequently. If I could
fly at 160-170 all the way to the outer marker, it would certainly make
fitting in to the traffic flow much easier.

Well, I'm all for being a good citizen, but spending tens of thousands of
dollars to make ATC's job a little easier seems like money poorly spent to
me. You should be able to be in 65% cruise until the OM, pull power back a
few inches, drop the gear, and sail down the ILS at about 140K or so. On
short final, you can pull the power back to 15", pull the nose up to bleed
speed to full-flap speed, drop the flaps, and you'll come right down and
make the 2nd taxiway. ATC will think you're a pro. I really don't think
the engine will have any issue with this operation at all.

But, cost is certainly an issue and if I am lacking in skills to slow
the aircraft down, then this is something I should explore. I was going
to take a Bonanza Proficiency course last October, but unfortunately a
cylinder cracked and started this extended maintenance period.

I've done the BPPP twice. Money very well spent. After this course, you
will be able to handle the airplane well enough without speed brakes for any
reasonable ATC situation.

Personally, if I had $15K burning a hole in my pocket for IFR Bonanza mods,
I'd go for ice protection long before speed brakes.

- Mark

Old January 13th 05, 12:36 PM
Jon A.

Models prior to the G or H (1956, 57) IIRC. The J, K, M ('58 - 60)
were 140 mph and the newer ones crept up to 157 or so.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:45:04 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

.. .

Old January 13th 05, 01:11 PM
Peter R.

markjenn ) wrote:

Personally, if I had $15K burning a hole in my pocket for IFR Bonanza mods,
I'd go for ice protection long before speed brakes.

To be fair, Mark, the speedbrakes from Precision Flight are US $4,100,
plus 35 hours installation labor, not 15k. However, I have learned
enough in the last few days to agree in principle with your point.

BTW, this Bonanza is equipped with TKS Weeping Wing, but the previous
owner shows me an invoice that was higher than 15k for that mod.

--
Peter

Old January 13th 05, 02:48 PM
Frank Stutzman

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I have 100 mph gear speed on my 1946 Johnson Rocket -- I have found the
best way to bleed off speed is to do the 360 overhead approach, where
you overfly the runway, on desired runway heading, at pattern altitude
and "break" to the downwind (assuming that nobody is already on
downwind), reducing throttle as speed bleeds off. i hit gear speed about
the 180 degree point, drop the gear, drop flaps even with the TD point
and continue with a short base and final.

If you do it right, you won't have to add any power and can make the
numbers with a nice 3-pointer. This also works great in a T-34.

Gee Orval, you must be a lot fun for ATC at a busy controled field.

Its been a long time, but I don't remember you ever doing that when you
flew in and out of Palo Alto.
--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old January 13th 05, 02:50 PM
Frank Stutzman

Matt Barrow wrote:

Some Bonanzas have gear speeds at 100mph

Which ones?

My A35 has a gear speed of 105 MPH.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old January 13th 05, 05:00 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jon A." wrote in message
Models prior to the G or H (1956, 57) IIRC. The J, K, M ('58 - 60)
were 140 mph and the newer ones crept up to 157 or so.

(mph or kts??)

Were they even fast enough to require flaps? :~)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:45:04 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

.. .

Old January 13th 05, 05:01 PM
Matt Barrow

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

Some Bonanzas have gear speeds at 100mph

Which ones?

My A35 has a gear speed of 105 MPH.

What's your cruise speed? :~)
--