Group Poll :Oxygen

Old November 2nd 05, 03:44 AM
Peter Duniho

Default Group Poll :Oxygen

"Jose" wrote in message
The FBO didn't completely fill up the tank (1700 psi) before I left

I take it you can tell beforehand from the pressure gauge? Why wouldn't
they fill it completely?

I have frequently run into FBOs that can't supply a full 2000 psi of
pressure. Why this is, I don't know (I mean, I understand the mechanics of
it, but why they maintain their oxygen supply at such a low state, I can't
say). But it's actually unusual for me to get my tank actually filled with
a "fill-up".

By the way, the range of prices I've seen only has a passing relation to the
amount of oxygen I get. Of course, I don't pay full price if I don't get a
full tank, but sometimes I can get a full tank (starting from nearly empty)
for a low price.

Pete

Old November 2nd 05, 03:45 AM
Matt Barrow

"Bashir Salamati" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:41:37 -0600, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

:Thanks for all the great responses!
:
:Another question that hit me (without getting into the whole aviation 02
vs
:medical 02 vs welding 02 debate)
:
:What is the average cost for your refills with aviation 02?
:
:I really like the idea of Precise Flights pulse system, but I'd like to
:compare the cost of 02 saved vs the cost of the adjustible pulse
controller
:vs the claimed increase in comfort over the regular non-pulse systems.
:
:Thanks again, lots of great answers!

Aviation 02, $25

Welding 02, $.25

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182079-1.html

Pelican's Perch #13:
Getting High on Welder's Oxygen

Having problems finding Aviator's Breathing Oxygen to refill your bottle?
Upset about the rip-off prices some FBOs charge for an O2 fill? Don't put up
with it, says AVweb's John Deakin, who explains why it's perfectly safe -
and perfectly legal - to use cheap welder's oxygen, and tells you exactly
what you need to know to buy it in bulk and do your own refills.

Old November 2nd 05, 03:58 AM
Ken Reed

The FBO didn't completely fill up the tank (1700 psi) before I left

I take it you can tell beforehand from the pressure gauge? Why wouldn't
they fill it completely?

They were getting ready to close and would have had to retrieve a fresh
tank. 1700 was fine this time.
---
Ken Reed
N960CM
Old November 2nd 05, 06:20 AM
Bashir Salamati

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 02:57:34 GMT, Ken Reed wrote:

: I have a factory installed 2000 lb system in my TR-182.
:
:All oxygen systems are 2000 psi. The capacity varies.
:---
:Ken Reed
:N960CM

Mine is rated for 3000, but I can only rarely get that. It is a
fiberglass wrapped bottle.

http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.phtml?...product_id=291

Old November 2nd 05, 03:27 PM
Ron Natalie

Jim Burns wrote:
Thanks for all the great responses!

Another question that hit me (without getting into the whole aviation 02 vs
medical 02 vs welding 02 debate)

What is the average cost for your refills with aviation 02?

By the way, all the vendors will top off your bottles for free at
Oshkosh (and probably the other major shows). Handy thing to remember.
Old November 2nd 05, 03:28 PM
Ron Natalie

Jose wrote:
The FBO didn't completely fill up the tank (1700 psi) before I left

I take it you can tell beforehand from the pressure gauge? Why wouldn't
they fill it completely?

Because they either don't have a cascade or don't know how to use it
properly. They probably stopped at 1700 because that was all that was
left in their single bottle.

Old November 2nd 05, 09:21 PM
xyzzy

wrote:

[...]

I hear ya, but....

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...08X07722&key=1

This accident was featured in FLYING magazine's aftermath column a few
years ago.

--
"You can support the troops but not the president"
--Representative Tom Delay (R-TX), during the Kosovo war.

Old November 2nd 05, 09:33 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:

[...]

I wonder how much was paid out in that law suit?

Group Poll :Oxygen Jim Burns Piloting 55 November 7th 05 05:40 PM
Group poll: Favorite greases Jim Burns Owning 9 May 27th 05 03:53 AM
Group Poll: How many hours between mag overhauls? Jon Kraus Owning 22 April 26th 05 01:50 AM
What's minimum safe O2 level? PaulH Piloting 29 November 9th 04 07:35 PM
Group Poll: Best 2+kids or 4 place taildragger? Jim Owning 28 December 2nd 03 01:57 AM