contrails

Old December 24th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default contrails

On Dec 23, 7:31*pm, Brad wrote:
What I'd like to know, is what will be the impact felt by us as
sailplane pilots. Since this is RAS, and there are content cops
patrolling the internets.

Will we:

Be lining up to buy electric sailplanes?

Selling our 2-stroke powered sailplanes because the 2-stroke will be
vilified?

Finding it harder and harder to justify aero-towing, due to fuel costs
and the perception that a bunch of "rich" guys wanna play.

Be looking at winching, for real this time?

Be riding our bikes to the airport?

I won't pretend I can participate in the science part of the debate,
but when it comes to what "pain" are we going to feel in order to
implement whatever is deemed necessary to "reduce" glabal
war.........er, I mean Climate Change, I sure have some concerns to
talk about!

Brad

Probably some new ridge soaring opportunities within a few thousands
of years, when the glaciers return.

-T8

Old December 24th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:31:41 -0800, Brad wrote:

Be lining up to buy electric sailplanes?

My guess is yes. I want one, I want one NOW.

Be looking at winching, for real this time?

I hope so. I really enjoy winching.
Also , I want to try a launch off one of the German electric winches.

Be riding our bikes to the airport?

The distance to the glider field is a problem almost everywhere. Noise is
probably a good part of that, but again winches are the answer: even an
ugly old diesel winch has a vastly smaller noise footprint than a tow
plane or a 2-stroke self-launcher. Our Supacat has a 240 hp V8 aircooled
Deutz diesel on straight pipes. It has to be a very still, silent day for
us to hear it from the launch point. I've heard it at dawn during the
Longest Day madness but you have to listen. Apart from that I've heard it
once during the day and was quite surprised to have done so.

I reckon an electric winch would be ideal on both noise and pollution
grounds: the black plume from the winch if its launching something heavy
looks pretty ugly.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 17th 10, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred the Red Shirt

On Dec 23 2009, 7:10 pm, Bruce Hoult wrote:

This is even before you get into the discovery that you can feed
totally random data into Mann's program and it still produces a
"hockey stick".

I don't believe that, but:

If the model is based on causality and not merely on correlation
then the long term prediction should be independent of the past
temperatures.

--

FF
Old January 18th 10, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Dec 23 2009, 7:10 pm, Bruce Hoult wrote:

This is even before you get into the discovery that you can feed
totally random data into Mann's program and it still produces a
"hockey stick".

Bruce, the "hockey stick" is not dependent on Dr. Mann or his program
(I'm not sure what program you are talking about, but it doesn't
matter). Dr. Mann was the first develop it, but others have corroborated
his work using different methods. A decent explanation:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/broken-hockey-stick.htm

If you want to delve into it more than that, search for "hockey stick"
on the same site.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
Old December 23rd 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Jardini

there is essential unanimity among the scientists who study this full
time. Dissenting opinions are always a good thing but in this case are
less than 1%. (someone somewhere is still not convinced of
relativity).

unless you are a climatologist, your opinion is just that. the people
who know what they are talking about should make the call. there is no
conspiracy and all of us are know nothings.

Mark Jardini 1AC
Old December 23rd 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Mark Jardini wrote:
there is essential unanimity among the scientists who study this full
time. Dissenting opinions are always a good thing but in this case are
less than 1%. (someone somewhere is still not convinced of
relativity).

unless you are a climatologist, your opinion is just that. the people
who know what they are talking about should make the call. there is no
conspiracy and all of us are know nothings.

Mark Jardini 1AC

Leave it up to the people who know something about the subject? That
isn't any fun!
Old December 23rd 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Dec 23, 6:16*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
Leave it up to the people who know something about the subject?
That isn't any fun!

And it would certainly be contrary to the spirit of R.A.S. !
See ya, Dave* "YO electric"

* who's published thesis was titled:
"Data Flow Computer Performance for the GISS Weather Model"
Old December 24th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Ah, the old "Common man can't do his own critical thinking on an
important matter" argument. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

No wonder Al Gore refuses to debate anyone on the topic.

..02NO
Old December 24th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Dec 23, 4:18*pm, Tuno wrote:
Ah, the old "Common man can't do his own critical thinking on an
important matter" argument. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

No wonder Al Gore refuses to debate anyone on the topic.

.02NO

Never trust a guy with one name!

Algore
Old December 24th 09, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner

On Dec 24, 12:18*am, Tuno wrote:
Ah, the old "Common man can't do his own critical thinking on an
important matter" argument. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Ah, the old "Amateur can understand any complex
difficult topic with a little thought" argument. Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Not impressive.

contrails No Name Aviation Photos 3 June 22nd 07 01:47 PM
Contrails Darkwing Piloting 21 March 23rd 07 05:58 PM
Contrails Kevin Dunlevy Piloting 4 December 13th 06 08:31 PM
Contrails Steven P. McNicoll Piloting 17 December 10th 03 10:23 PM