Bothersome Phillips Head Screws

Old January 7th 04, 05:05 AM
John Ousterhout

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 07:23:56 -0500, "Larry Smith"
wrote:

Doing a little work on old Cessnas for fun these days and have to tell you I
don't like Phillips head screws.

Time to go to Allen screws. Yes. The entire Phillips head screw
population is held in contempt. They ought to be banned.

Anything with the name Phillips is just a pain in the ass

- J.O.-

Old January 7th 04, 05:23 AM
Larry Smith

wrote:

Doing a little work on old Cessnas for fun these days and have to tell

you I
don't like Phillips head screws.

Time to go to Allen screws. Yes. The entire Phillips head screw
population is held in contempt. They ought to be banned.

Anything with the name Phillips is just a pain in the ass

- J.O.-

ROFL! That was priceless.

Old January 7th 04, 07:44 AM
Snowbird

"Larry Smith" wrote in message ...
Doing a little work on old Cessnas for fun these days and have to tell you I
don't like Phillips head screws. The slightest corrosion and they stick
and freeze. Then your Snap-On screwdriver (make sure it fits) wallows the
head out, as you grunt and cuss.

One thing I haven't seen in this thread, is dousing the suckers
with the penetrating oil of one's choice a day or so before
planned maintenance.

This works wonders on yuccky corroded steel or aluminum which
has spent years in a cold, very corrosive environment w/out
any maintenance at all, but I haven't had occasion to try it
on a plane (no corroded screws yet on ours, certain not in
the commonly-off parts like wheelpants).

Doesn't this work on planes? I can see where a pro in a maintenance
shop wouldn't have the time to wait, but when working "for fun"...

Sydney
Old January 7th 04, 02:51 PM
Ron Natalie

"Snowbird" wrote in message om...
Doesn't this work on planes? I can see where a pro in a maintenance
shop wouldn't have the time to wait, but when working "for fun"...

Somebody already suggested WD-40 and Kroil. I wasn't familiar with
Kroil, but it appears to also be a penetrating oil (we generally go with the
name Liquid Wrench here, another popular penetrating oil).

Old January 7th 04, 08:56 PM
Eric Miller

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Snowbird" wrote in message

om...
Doesn't this work on planes? I can see where a pro in a maintenance
shop wouldn't have the time to wait, but when working "for fun"...

Somebody already suggested WD-40 and Kroil. I wasn't familiar with
Kroil, but it appears to also be a penetrating oil (we generally go with

the
name Liquid Wrench here, another popular penetrating oil).

I just trailered my Dragonfly home and a kindly stranger lent me some Aero
Kroil to remove the exhaust nuts... best stuff I've ever used!

Eric

Old January 7th 04, 10:46 PM
m alexander

Kroil http://www.kanolabs.com

Works much better than WD-40
Old January 8th 04, 03:23 AM
RU ok

Somebody already suggested WD-40 and Kroil. I wasn't familiar with
Kroil, but it appears to also be a penetrating oil (we generally go with

the
name Liquid Wrench here, another popular penetrating oil).

I just trailered my Dragonfly home and a kindly stranger lent me some Aero
Kroil to remove the exhaust nuts... best stuff I've ever used!

Eric

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Welcome to the 'Kroil Club', Eric. g

Barnyard BOb --
Old January 8th 04, 03:58 AM
Dan Thomas

"Eric Miller" wrote in message . net...
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Snowbird" wrote in message

om...
Doesn't this work on planes? I can see where a pro in a maintenance
shop wouldn't have the time to wait, but when working "for fun"...

Somebody already suggested WD-40 and Kroil. I wasn't familiar with
Kroil, but it appears to also be a penetrating oil (we generally go with

the
name Liquid Wrench here, another popular penetrating oil).

I just trailered my Dragonfly home and a kindly stranger lent me some Aero
Kroil to remove the exhaust nuts... best stuff I've ever used!

Eric

I use Mouse Milk. Dandy stuff, and works well on throttle/turbo
waste gate linkages where there's a lot of heat. Expensive, though.
Have to milk a lot of mice to get even a small bottle...

Dan
Old January 8th 04, 11:41 AM
Eric Miller

"RU ok" wrote in message

I just trailered my Dragonfly home and a kindly stranger lent me some

Aero
Kroil to remove the exhaust nuts... best stuff I've ever used!

Eric

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Welcome to the 'Kroil Club', Eric. g

Barnyard BOb --

I'm a convert. The "Kroil Club"... users check in, but don't they check out!

"Dan Thomas" wrote in message
I use Mouse Milk. Dandy stuff, and works well on throttle/turbo
waste gate linkages where there's a lot of heat. Expensive, though.
Have to milk a lot of mice to get even a small bottle...

Dan

Reminds me of an old joke....

A cannibal goes into a meat market to buy some brains.
They sell passengers' brains for $5/pound.
They sell pilots' brains for $10/pound.
And they have homebuilders' brains for $1,000/pound.
They cannibal says to the butcher, "Why are homebulders brains so expensive?
They must really be smart!"
The butcher says, "Are you kidding? Do you have any idea how many
homebuilders it takes to scrape together one pound of brains?!?"

Eric :-)