Lancair IV-P lost near Lansing MI

Old June 3rd 04, 01:00 PM

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 11:03:11 GMT, "Joe Johnson"
wrote:

A neurosurgeon saved himself and 3 skiing buddies by putting his V35 down on
route 7 near Rutland, VT. The Bo's engine quit a week after an annual. He
flew it beneath an overpass and only slightly damaged one wing. All aboard
walked away unhurt. I don't have the link, but if you google some of the
terms above, you can find Newsday's account. The article didn't say how may
hours he had, but this doctor obviously knew what he was doing.

I looked for the incident in Google. Turned up an article written in
Anchorage Alaska, but nothing from any papers written here in New
England. Could be the way I arranged the wording of the search.

I remember the incident, but did not recall the details well.

The pilot was lucky, and unlucky at the same time. He was lucky to be
over a nice smooth interstate highway, but unlucky in that he lost
altitude such that he could not clear the one and only overpass on the
highway.

He also blew out both main tires during the landing, must have hit a
bit hard.

Corky Scott
Old June 3rd 04, 01:16 PM

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:45:09 +1000, "s3" wrote:

As a test pilot (military trained) I ended up working with a civil
airworthiness authority and have test flown about 50 hombuilt types. There
are a large number of homebuilts out there with appalling handling
characteristics in terms of stability, control, and stall characteristics.
In many cases the homebuilt community considers that these characteristics
are the price you pay for "performance".
In fact, many have characteristics that the military would simple not
accepted in their aircraft unless the performance boost so far outweighed
the flight safety issues that national defence was deemed more important.
The characteristics would certainly not be acceptable for civil
certification.
I have flown, stalled and spun high performance jet aircraft which are pussy
cats compared to some homebuilts.

Interesting information. It verifies what I read long ago about the
first Lancair 200's. They were very fast, as befitting their minimal
cross section and tiny wings, and also, according to the initial
flight reports, stalled extremely suddenly with no forewarning.

I also recall reading that the stall speed seemed to vary a bit. This
could be due to the laminar flow being tripped suddenly while at slow
speed by a gust of wind or whatever.

The result was that some Lancair 200's scared their pilots so badly
that they did not fly them much.

Corky Scott
Old June 3rd 04, 01:21 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Rolf Blom" wrote in message

I wonder if a parachute will do much good if you are stalled/spinning;
I'm thinking it would only twist itself up, and never deploy fully.

Spin chutes are a routine part of flight testing of airplanes in case the
airplane is found to have unrecoverable spin characteristics.

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old June 3rd 04, 01:22 PM
Rolf Blom

On 2004-06-03 00:59, Darkwing Duck (The Duck, The Myth, The Legend) wrote:

-snip-

Lancairs are cool planes, it's too bad this happened. I'm sure your right on
the insurance deal. Not that it matters but I'm surprised Lancair didn't
certify the new 350 and 400 with the parachute like Cirrus just for
insurance purposes.

-snip-

I wonder if a parachute will do much good if you are stalled/spinning;
I'm thinking it would only twist itself up, and never deploy fully.

/Rolf
Old June 3rd 04, 01:56 PM
Richard Russell

On 2 Jun 2004 20:26:52 -0700, (lowflyer) wrote:

(Badwater Bill) wrote in message ...

Most of the rich guys who buy them are
doctors, not test pilots. And, it's those weekend types that get
killed when the thing departs from it's normal flight characteristics.

You sound like the guy to answer a question I've had for a long time.
You know the old saw about doctors and Bonanzas. I've always wondered
if it was true. Now you state essentially the same about
Lancairs...it's doctors (of course they are richer than anyone else
who flies) who "fly them and get killed." Assuming you know what
you're talking about, what percent of Lancairs are owned by doctors,
and what percent of fatal Lancair accidents involve doctor pilots as
opposed to any other profession of pilot? Also, using any definition
of rich you wish, are doctor pilots any richer than lawyer pilots,
business man pilots,etc. I have no bone to pick here other than
wanting to know whether this stereotyping is justified. I won't know
unless you or anyone else can back it up with referenced statistics.

I've always interpreted the "doctor killer" tag as something that
refered generically to someone who has plenty of disposable income but
limited time, interest or motiviation to pusue proper training and to
maintain proficiency. I never took the term too literally. Doctors
are a convenient example of the genus. It's similar to soccer moms.
Not all soccer moms actually have kids playing soccer.
Rich Russell
Old June 3rd 04, 02:12 PM
Rolf Blom

On 2004-06-03 14:21, Richard Kaplan wrote:
"Rolf Blom" wrote in message

I wonder if a parachute will do much good if you are stalled/spinning;
I'm thinking it would only twist itself up, and never deploy fully.

Spin chutes are a routine part of flight testing of airplanes in case the
airplane is found to have unrecoverable spin characteristics.

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

I stand corrected.

I was thinking of those large parachutes that can carry the whole plane.

/Rolf
Old June 3rd 04, 02:20 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:21:55 GMT, "Richard Kaplan"
wrote:

"Rolf Blom" wrote in message

I wonder if a parachute will do much good if you are stalled/spinning;
I'm thinking it would only twist itself up, and never deploy fully.

Spin chutes are a routine part of flight testing of airplanes in case the
airplane is found to have unrecoverable spin characteristics.

Spin-recovery chutes are mounted differently than the whole-aircraft
recovery chute...either tail-mounted, or rigged to fire directly aft.

But I expect you could rig a BRS-type chute behind the cabin so that it
slants aft to a considerable extent. Besides, the ultralighters have used
these in response to a number of incidents that have resulted in
uncontrolled flight.

Ron Wanttaja
Old June 3rd 04, 02:58 PM
Bill Denton

The whole money 'n doctors 'n Bonanzas thing makes a nice mantra, but it
totally ignores the most important factor in the equation...

True, many doctors have a high income level.

True, many doctors own expensive toys like Porches, Mercedes, Nikon cameras,
and other such things.

And a Bonanza is an expensive toy. But it does require a certain level of
skill to fly it.

Guess what else takes a certain level of skill? Sawing a man's chest open,
yanking out his heart, cutting the heart open, putting in a few valves,
sticking it back in his chest, and having the patient wake up good as new.

Yes, it takes skill, knowledge, and training. But it takes one more thing to
enable you to do something that could very well kill another human being:
balls! Or more correctly, it takes a very high level of self-confidence.

Some of us are born self-confident; some of us develop self-confidence. But
doctors, during their training, have self-confidence pounded into them.
Simply because a doctor cannot do his/her job without a high degree of
self-confidence.

Military jet-jockeys are also force-fed self-confidence, although many of
them come into the service with a high level. When the wheels come off the
runway that pilot is the best one in the air. But you see quite a few
accidents involving military or ex-military pilots. Why is that? "I can fly
an F-18, I can fly a stinking ultralight!"

I don't do sports, but from what I read, Thurman Munson was a very good
baseball player. It would be reasonable to believe that when he walked onto
the field he was self-confident in his ability to win ball games, and that
he was one of the best in the business. And I'm sure he had plenty of
self-confidence when he pushed the throttles forward on that Citation.
Unfortunately, once he pushed the throttles forward, self-esteem wasn't that
important any more; a different set of traits were needed.

There's an old joke:

Q: "What's the difference between God and a doctor?"

A: "God doesn't think he's a doctor!"

Take a Bonanza. Put a pilot in it, a pilot whose skills are somewhat below
those necessary to fly the aircraft to it's maximum capabilities. As long as
that pilot recognizes his limitations and flies the aircraft within his
limitations, he will probably come out O.K.

Take a Bonanza. Put a pilot in it, a pilot who one hour previously was
sewing somebody's heart closed...

om...

Old June 3rd 04, 03:05 PM
Ed Wischmeyer

As a test pilot (military trained) I ended up working with a civil
airworthiness authority and have test flown about 50 hombuilt types. There
are a large number of homebuilts out there with appalling handling
characteristics in terms of stability, control, and stall characteristics.
In many cases the homebuilt community considers that these characteristics
are the price you pay for "performance".
In fact, many have characteristics that the military would simple not

accepted in their aircraft unless the performance boost so far outweighed
the flight safety issues that national defence was deemed more important.
The characteristics would certainly not be acceptable for civil
certification.
I have flown, stalled and spun high performance jet aircraft which are

pussy cats compared to some homebuilts.

While many people think of these homebuilts as "high performance" don't

forget that plenty of 18 -19 year old kids with a couple of hundred hours
total have successfully flown aircraft with far higher performance than the
odd Lancair or Glassair etc during military flight training.
Even a test pilot should not have to demonstrate test pilot skill and

ability just to go and have fun in a "high performance" homebuilt.

As the saying goes, homebuilts are very safe aircraft -- they can just
barely kill you.

Good post, Chris -- drop me an email if you would.

Ed Wischmeyer