Important message for SSA members

Old September 2nd 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_1_]

Default Important message for SSA members

Mike Schumann wrote:
Why wasn't he canned?

Personnel matters can be very sensitive and sending it to the whole
world might not be good idea at this point. Your director can probably
tell you the situation on the phone. It takes longer to call him than
typing a few words, but it should give you a lot better information.

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

www.motorglider.org - Download "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane
Operation"
Old September 2nd 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Johnston

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 20:41:08 UTC, Jack wrote:

: Probably because it is SSA business, and this is a public, not an SSA,
: site.

Yet the announcement was posted here...

Ian
Old September 2nd 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
588

Ian Johnston wrote:
On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 20:41:08 UTC, Jack wrote:

: Probably because it is SSA business, and this is a public, not an SSA,
: site.

Yet the announcement was posted here...

Ian, you've apparently missed some of the discussion. Notice (of the
message to members) was posted here so that members would find the
message in the members-only section of the SSA website.

The message itself was posted here, seemingly within seconds, due only
to the insensitivity of an individual. I can not imagine such
impropriety coming out of Germany (perhaps the UK). Not that it would
ever have been kept a secret, nor escaped being a topic of energetic
discussion for weeks here on r.a.s. in any event.

Jack
Old September 2nd 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Johnston

:
: : Probably because it is SSA business, and this is a public, not an SSA,
: : site.
:
: Yet the announcement was posted here...

: Ian, you've apparently missed some of the discussion. Notice (of the
: message to members) was posted here so that members would find the
: message in the members-only section of the SSA website.

Sorry, I was unclear. That's what I meant by "the announcement".

: The message itself was posted here, seemingly within seconds, due only
: to the insensitivity of an individual. I can not imagine such
: impropriety coming out of Germany (perhaps the UK). Not that it would
: ever have been kept a secret, nor escaped being a topic of energetic
: discussion for weeks here on r.a.s. in any event.

If SSA want to use ras as a private messageboard for some things, they
can't be terribly surprised if it's used for others as well.

On the whole I think it's probably much better that the whole thing
was posted here, as it will have saved much speculation and rumour
mongering.

Ian

Old September 2nd 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Let's not shoot the messenger.

I agree. But I'm referring not to the individual who chose to post the
SSA's message to its members, but to the real messenger: the SSA
Executive Committee.

I suspect they're wrestling with the typical real-world issues that
cause most situations like this to be anything but black or white:
i.e., balancing a natural desire to dismiss the employee who apparently
breached the trust placed in him against considerations such as:

- determining the extent of any losses (did the SSA simply not pay
its bills or are funds missing?) and who may have been involved;
- recovering assets
- collecting the information necessary to file delinquent tax
returns and determine the amount of unpaid withholding taxes
- gaining cooperation that may be critical in the foregoing efforts;

- obtaining and preserving legally admissible evidence;
- evaluating civil and criminal options, including what recourse the
SSA may have against individuals and organizations;
- avoiding any steps that might leave the SSA open to accusations of
libel or wrongful termination (in this country, anything is possible);
careful readers of the letter will note that it is limited to
statements of fact and to Alan Gleason's own admissions--it avoids
other allegations.
- ensuring the damage is contained by implementing better controls;
- dealing with accountants and advisors who may have some explaining
to do;
- retaining and working with legal counsel;
- negotiating with federal and state tax authorities to mitigate
interest and penalties
- communicating with the board, the officers, and the members, etc.

As a 40+ year SSA member, I would be understating it to say I'm angry
and frustrated and depressed at this latest news. But the fact remains
that this time, unlike another unhappy situation in the past, the SSA
Executive Committee made what appears to be timely and extensive
disclosure, remarkably so (given our legal environment) regarding Alan
Gleason's admissions.

Let's confirm the wisdom of their decision by behaving responsibly.
We're free to raise questions, in particular of our elected directors.
But rather than second-guessing, speculating, offering ill-informed
advice, spreading rumors, or accusing anyone, I suggest that we all
stay tuned to www.ssa.org...and to the nearly instantaneous repostings
to this newsgroup by "helpful" members.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old September 4th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Your posting on r.a.s. of the letter to the SSA membership
calls into question your judgment, your ethics, your
integrity, your loyalty to any organization of which
you have ever been a part, your friendship with anyone
you've ever known, and even your intelligence.

Who will trust you now?

At 20:08 01 September 2006, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
C. Dianne Black-Nixon wrote:
SSA Members,

Please visit the SSA homepage at www.ssa.org for an
important message
regarding the Society.

[ Why it's not posted here is beyond me. Text below.
]

remainder deleted

Old September 4th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Why was the original letter put into the members only section of the SSA web
site? Under IRS rules, being a non-profit, this type of information needs
to be publicly available to everyone.

Mike Schumann

Old September 4th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_1_]

Mike Schumann wrote:
Why was the original letter put into the members only section of the SSA web
site? Under IRS rules, being a non-profit, this type of information needs
to be publicly available to everyone.

Why do you believe this? Surely, personnel matters are not a matter of
public record, or does "this type of information" apply to only a
portion of the letter? I know there is quite a range "non-profit"
organizations, ranging from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the
Auxiliary-powered Sailplane Association (I'm the treasurer), and
guessing our reporting requirements vary quite. Do you really know the
specific rules that apply to the SSA?

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old September 4th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Here are the IRS FAQs regarding public disclosu

http://www.irs.gov/charities/article...=96430,00.html

I would suspect that the fact that the non-profit failed to pay taxes and
file tax returns as required by law would be covered by the spirit, if not
the letter of the public disclosure rules.

Mike Schumann

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Old September 4th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Mike Schumann" wrote in message
nk.net...
Here are the IRS FAQs regarding public disclosu

http://www.irs.gov/charities/article...=96430,00.html

I would suspect that the fact that the non-profit failed to pay taxes and
file tax returns as required by law would be covered by the spirit, if not
the letter of the public disclosure rules.

Mike Schumann

....and I am sure the SSA will make full disclosure when they file their
annual financial statement. However, it would be inappropriate to release
detailed information while the investigation is ongoing. The current
disclosure to association membership was not a legal requirement... it was a
courtesy.

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/