Crab, slips, and crossed controls

Old September 27th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Crab, slips, and crossed controls

wrote in
:

On Sep 27, 2:22*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote
innews:16a34e14-ab8e-4397-804d-4f9547b0090c@34g

2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

On Sep 27, 12:07*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Stealth Pilot wrote
innews:fsfsd4hmkhnk
:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 08:27:29 -0500, "Allen"
wrote:

in my country the manouver I describe is always called a side
slip.

side slips are used as I indicate to dirty up the aircraft
aerodynamically.
they can be used to counter a crosswind but the crabbed
approach is preferred because it doesnt change the approach
profile.

it is a side slip.

youalls mileage may vary :-)

Stealth Pilot

The slips are named for their flight path in relation to a point
on the ground. *The forward slip, when used in relation to a
runway, creates a direct forward path to the end of the runway.
*This is accomplished by lowering a wing and opposite rudder at
the same time. The nose of the aircraft is to the left or right
of the runway heading but the flight path is directly forward
toward the runway. *The primary use of this slip is to lose
altitude without increasing airspeed and also to allow a view of
the runway if the front windshield is obstructed with ice or
oil. *The side slip, when used i
relation to a runway, creates a sideways flight path . This is
accomplished by lowering a wing and using rudder to keep the
nose of the aircraft pointed straight down the runway. *In a
no-wind situatio
the aircraft will move sideways left or right of the runway
centerline depending on which wing is lowered. *The primary use
of this slip is to counteract side drift in a crosswind landing
and allow the aircraft to touchdown parallel to the runway
centerline.

why on earth are you lecturing me about slips?
I use them as a convenience whenever I feel the need.

in my country they are known only as side slips because the
control inputs are pretty well the same and you can make them
point in pretty well any direction from side ways to forwards.

it is only in america where you make the artificial distinction
between forward and sideways slips.

to my mind it is as much of a nonsense as the way you spell
aeroplane. ymmv

Americnas get to choose the spelling cuz they invented it!

Much in the same way as you guys invented the rotary washing line
and the....

What else?

Bertie

black boxes come to mind, so do car radios.

Painting a cornflakes box black and sticking a wireless on a holden
doesnt count!

Bertie

You count your way, the Aussies count theirs. They were inventive
enough to take the America's Cup from us, and keep if for a couple of
cycles. They are not on a per capital basis as strong as Israel, but
they are not doing badly. Hell, they invented Great White Sharks and
Waltzing Matildas and the digery do. Those are major contributions to
world cultures.

No argument there. They've even perfected the vomitorium!

Bertie

Slips and skids William Hung[_2_] Piloting 25 March 17th 08 02:27 AM
slips to landing in PTS BB Soaring 6 April 17th 07 05:58 AM
Slips and spins in FSX? Chris Wells Simulators 0 December 14th 06 08:24 PM
A reluctance to take the controls Jay Honeck Piloting 161 December 1st 06 08:27 PM
About forward slips Mxsmanic Piloting 77 November 2nd 06 11:35 PM