Got published

Old November 4th 03, 05:30 AM
Jack Allison

Default Got published

My FBO asked me to write an article for their first newsletter. Here's what
I put together. Lookout Jay... :-) No, seriously, not as good as the stuff
you've written and had published...but, hey, it's a start. Gotta work on
getting paid for this though.

-----------------

I have a tough assignment. I'm supposed to describe my trip to Oshkosh
("EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2003" in proper phraseology) in roughly one page.
250-300 words are what Phyllis said I had. And some folks think flying with
Tim in the right seat is challenging? Piece of cake compared to this. Ah,
but I digress and use up valuable words in the process.

Just what is it like for a 125-hour private pilot and his RV-6A building
older brother to fly to Oshkosh in a C-172? Before the trip, I had a rough
idea: fun, slow, seeing interesting sights, dodging weather, slow, a complex
arrival, camping in the rain. Did I mention slow? After taking the trip, I
can say that it's all of these and more. Fun? More than you can imagine.
Slow? Yes, but a C-172 is faster than a cub or an Aircoupe. Seeing
interesting sights? More than I can count. Dodging weather? Sure but
that's all part of the fun, especially when you see your first aerial
lightening strike up close and personal and plan-B involves dodging
restricted airspace, MOAs, and the weather. A complex arrival? Yes, but
not impossible if you can read the 30+ page NOTAM. Camping in the rain?
Its summer in Wisconsin and the grass stays green without sprinklers. So,
yes, we got wet. So did my sleeping bag, pillow, and most of my clothes.
Fortunately, the plane didn't leak. Yes, we slept there a few hours one
night.

Flying to Oshkosh was an incredible journey that stretched my flying
experience in several directions. With a round trip distance of 3100 nm, it
was the longest cross-country I've planned. It was my first experience
flying through class B airspace (SLC) and landing in class C airspace
(Reno). It was also my first chance to fly with my brother on such a long
trip. The biggest thrill, however, was in landing at OSH. After following
the arrival procedures to the letter, we turn a modified right base for
runway 9. When we're 200 ft AGL aimed for the "white dot" located 1500 ft.
from the numbers, out of my peripheral vision I see hundreds of people
watching our arrival. I start thinking wow, what an audience; this is no
time to mess up a landing. Suddenly I hear Tim's voice saying, "Fly the
airplane!!!" I do and manage to put it down just past the white dot and get
rewarded with the ultimate compliment from the runway 9/27 tower controller,
"White Cessna, good job".

To say Oshkosh is huge is an absolute understatement. Think if it as a
combination fly-in, air show, and aviation convention/trade show with
thousands of friends you've never met. We heard folks like Chuck Yeager,
Bud Anderson, Bob Hoover, and Rod Machado. We went through countless vendor
exhibits, the EAA museum, and communed with hundreds of Van's RVs. Ok, my
brother communed with the RVs. I took pictures and sat in the shade to
avoid heat stroke. We even watched the entire air show one day. We saw the
replica Hughes H-1B racer at what would become its final air show.

I could go on for pages with trip details but I'm out of space. For more
information, feel free to contact me via e-mail. Pictures of the trip can
be found at ofoto.com:

On the way to Oshkosh:
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=175y7lb...t&x=0&y=trhrfy

At Oshkosh:
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=175y7lb...h&x=0&y=fnkpxe

On the way home from Oshkosh:
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=175y7lb...&x=0&y=-o7bj0u

Let me close with some advice and word of caution. If you ever get a chance
to visit Oshkosh, do it. Whether for a day or the week, whether you fly
commercially or in a spam can, do it. Caution - once you go, you'll be
talking about "next year" before the trip home. The second day there, my
brother said "We need to get Dad back here". So yes, we're headed back for
more next summer.

Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old November 4th 03, 02:13 PM
Jay Honeck

Great write-up, Jack.

As I sit here in the midst of a cold November monsoon, knowing all-too-well
what's coming next (just ask Montblack -- he's already getting it up in
Minnesota), to read about Oshkosh is both torture and wonderful.

Only nine months till OSH 2004! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 4th 03, 04:43 PM
Montblack

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and you have a 250-300 word limit,
then 5 thumbnails should just about do it. g

You know the drill Jack ...

1. (It's) summer in Wisconsin.
2. Did you hear Neil Armstrong speak on Friday night? If yes, maybe slip
his name into the article.
3 That's it - only two. :-)

Nice newsletter article.

(Non-newsletter question) How was it decided that you would be the one to
land at Oshkosh? Coin flip?

Thanks for the Concorde's Last Flight photos - very cool.

--
Montblack

("Jack Allison" wrote about writing)
My FBO asked me to write an article for their first newsletter. Here's

what
I put together. Lookout Jay... :-) No, seriously, not as good as the

stuff
you've written and had published...but, hey, it's a start. Gotta work on
getting paid for this though.

-----------------

I have a tough assignment. I'm supposed to describe my trip to Oshkosh
("EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2003" in proper phraseology) in roughly one page.
250-300 words are what Phyllis said I had. And some folks think flying

with
Tim in the right seat is challenging? Piece of cake compared to this.

Ah,
but I digress and use up valuable words in the process.

snip

Old November 4th 03, 08:08 PM
Jack Allison

Missed the Neil Armstrong talk Friday...was the only night we could visit
one of our cousins and her family.

Its/It's...hey, my editing person missed that one. You, my friend, pass the
test with flying colors.

Ok, I'll take one for two of your standard drill. Next time, you're up for
proof reading :-)

"Landing rights", basically, I took the initiative and claimed them.
Early in the trip discussion process, my brother was out of currency so we'd
talked about me flying left seat and handling all takeoffs/landings.
Further along in the process, my brother decided to get current again and
one time when discussing how to split up flight duties, I said something
like "Doesn't matter all that much, all I want to do is the OSH
arrival"...to which, my brother said "Ok, so long as I get to do the
departure". Done deal. Gotta figure a new angle for next year though :-)

Old November 4th 03, 08:14 PM
Jack Allison

Hey, it's "cold" (relatively speaking of course) here too...we had frost
this morning. Quick weather check: 54 degrees 58% humidity, calm winds,
clear skies. Darn, I need to go flying! I know, I suck. Consider a
potential payback is that I need to fly a heck of a lot farther to get to
OSH :-) Hmmm, nicer weather more days of the year in trade for "enduring" a
really long x-c flight once a year...I'll take it ;-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Approach Question- Published Missed Can't be flown? Brad Z Instrument Flight Rules 8 May 6th 04 04:19 AM
Standard Instrument Procedures...published in text form? Mark Astley Instrument Flight Rules 11 February 24th 04 01:26 AM
Hold "as published"? John Clonts Instrument Flight Rules 83 November 13th 03 03:19 PM
Published again! Roger Long Piloting 7 September 8th 03 01:29 PM
Were these Aerofax Minigraphs ever published? Jim Davis Military Aviation 1 August 9th 03 05:47 AM