Straight-ins at uncontrolled airports?

Old February 5th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Default Straight-ins at uncontrolled airports?

On Feb 5, 3:56 pm, ktbr wrote:
Straight in approaches have always been acceptable as long
as you can do it safely, maintain visual, give right of way
to lower aircraft, be aware of A/C in the patten, announce
your position/intentions, etc. etc. etc. It is highly
recommended to do a standard pattern entry to the downwind
leg of the pattern.

I might add, that pilots doing a straight-in landing for Instrument
practice, should be sure to announce their intentions and distance....
a lot. Too often I hear something like "Podunk Traffic, Flyswatter
123 inbound VOR-A, passing Bipsy. [Where "BIPSY" or whatever is an
inbound instrument waypoint.] Most VFR pilots have no clue what or
where these codes and waypoints are. This makes for nasty close
calls on the base and final legs.

Please always add something like "Ten miles north, straight-in for
landing runway 18".

Kev

Old February 5th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_11_]

Several thoughts... I'll line 'em up, let's shoot 'em down...

Publish date for 91.126 seems to be 2004.
Was AC90.66A noting "the FAA acknowledges that straight in approaches are
not prohibited" published before or after 91.126?

IF the AC was issued after 91.126 was ruled, shouldn't 91.126 be amended by
now or vise versa?

"Otherwise authorized" Obviously a clearance would constitute
authorization, what about local authorities such as airport owners,
managers, or boards?

Jim

Old February 5th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

An aircraft on final has the right-of-way.

Yes, but that doesn't mean an a/c can just cut short the pattern and push in
front of everyone else just because he wants to come straight in.
Oz Lander

Old February 5th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_11_]

Sorry for responding to my own post, I was attempting to look up AC90.66A,
which I finally found was issued 8/26/1993, prior to 91.126.

No school here today and every kid is home playing internet video games.
They've got the net slowed to a crawl.
Jim

Old February 5th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"karl gruber" wrote in message

"Danny Deger" wrote in message
I haven't flown in a while, but am in the market for a used plane.

I recalling hearing somewhere that straight-in approaches are now
approved at uncontrolled airports. Is this correct?

Danny Deger

Approved by whom?

They've never been against any regulation, but are not necessarily the
best way to enter a pattern.

Good point. Uncontrolled patterns are not a regulation, but I think the FAA
publishes the recommeneded pattern. I know when I flew before, a straight
in was not a recommended pattern, but I thought I had heard it is now. If
you are lined up on final as you approach the airport, it is OK to just come
in straight.

Danny Deger

Karl

Old February 5th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
Jim wrote:

What is the group's take on 91.126 and 91.127?
Jim

you mean the part about "Unless otherwise authorized or
required..." ?

--Sylvain

AC90.6A states:
e. The FAA encouragesp ilots to use the standard

traffic pattern. However, for those pilots who choose

to execute a straight-in approach, maneuvering for

and execution of the approach should be completed

so as not to disrupt the flow of arriving and

departing traffic. Therefore,p ilots operating in the

traffic pattern should be alert at all times to

aircraft executing straight-in approaches.

Old February 5th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I recalling hearing somewhere that straight-in approaches are now approved
at uncontrolled airports. Is this correct?

As others have told you, it's never been illegal to do a straight-in
approach.

However, PLEASE try to refrain from doing them when the pattern is
full. Not only is it rude, it's often dangerous to attempt when
you've got three on downwind, one on base, and one already on final.
I see this happen all too often -- almost invariably by the charter
guys, who have a paying guy in the back that's late for his meeting --
and it results in frayed nerves and flared tempers.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 5th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_13_]

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:08:30 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"ktbr" wrote in message

Straight in approaches have always been acceptable as long
as you can do it safely, maintain visual, give right of way
to lower aircraft, be aware of A/C in the patten, announce
your position/intentions, etc. etc. etc. It is highly
recommended to do a standard pattern entry to the downwind
leg of the pattern.

An aircraft on final has the right-of-way.

Yes. This is particularly wonderful when a pilot announces a
five-mile straight-in final to an uncontrolled field.
Old February 5th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Feb 5, 5:33 pm, Jim wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:08:30 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
An aircraft on final has the right-of-way.

Yes. This is particularly wonderful when a pilot announces a
five-mile straight-in final to an uncontrolled field.

Exactly. They need to announce down to about every mile to the field
on a straight-in. I've had someone announce they were twenty miles
out on a straight-in, so I turned base. Lo and behold they were
actually one mile out... and cut me off.

Regards, Kev

Old February 5th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Danny Deger" wrote in message
I haven't flown in a while, but am in the market for a used plane.

I recalling hearing somewhere that straight-in approaches are now approved
at uncontrolled airports. Is this correct?

I assume you are not trying to win friends and influance people?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com