Dr. Paul MacCready passes away

Old August 30th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Armstrong

Default Dr. Paul MacCready passes away

Many have probably just heard the news that Dr. Paul MacCready passed
away in his sleep yesterday. Paul was a renowned innovator, founder
of AeroVironment, and a key soaring figure. He is known as the
"father of human-powered flight", and just this month we celebrated
the 30th anniversary of the Gossamer Condor's record-setting
flight. He participated almost every year in the Experimental
Soaring Association's Western Workshop here in Tehachapi, and he and
his son, Tyler had already RSVPed for this weekend's event. He
challenged us all to do more with less, to innovate and to tackle new
opportunities. How we shall miss him.

AeroVironment has established an online book of condolences and
biography of Dr. MacCready at www.avinc.com/maccready.

Be sure and read the obituary notices in the press; I cannot do
justice in writing one.

Rest in peace, dear Paul. Thanks for touching our lives.

Janice Armstrong
Tehachapi, California

Old August 30th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Armstrong

From the AeroVironment's website:

"Paul MacCready was born in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1925. During
his adolescence he was a serious model airplane enthusiast who set
many records for experimental craft. At age 16, he soloed in powered
planes. In World War II, he flew in the U.S. Navy flight training
program.

In 1943 MacCready graduated from Hopkins School in New Haven. In 1947
he received his Bachelor of Science in physics from Yale University
(Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi). His interest in flight grew to include
gliders. He won the 1948, 1949 and 1953 U.S. National Soaring
Championships, pioneered high-altitude wave soaring in the United
States, and in 1947 became the first American in 14 years to establish
an international soaring record. He represented the United States at
contests in Europe four times, becoming International Champion in
France in 1956, the first American to achieve this goal."

Old August 30th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

One of many writings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_MacCready

Old August 30th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I think that perhaps no other single engineer or scientist in the 20th
century expanded the envelope of the possible and practical as much as
Dr. MacCready did. He was our Leonardo, our Michaelangelo. His
accomplishments spanned incredible scope and range. From refining the
art and technique of competition soaring, to getting human- and solar-
powered flight off the ground, to developing practical, usable,
manufacturable electric cars, I can think of nobody else who did so
much to advance technology in ways that united benefit to the
environment and benefit to ordinary people.

Everybody is familiar with Sir Issac Newton's saying, "If I have seen
a little farther than others, it's because I stood on the shoulders of
giants." Dr. MacCready was one of those giants, and his legacy stands
as a tribute not only to his intelligence and dedication, but also to
his thoughtfulness and humility.

Bob K.

Old August 30th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al G[_1_]

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hear, Hear.

My condolences to the family and friends.

Al G

Old August 31st 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:20:38 -0700, Dan Armstrong
wrote:

[...]

many years ago on usenet was a poster with the nom de plume of
"daedalus"
that poster was Paul MacCready.

an inspiration.

Stealth Pilot
Old August 31st 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.homebuilt

I talked to Paul, at 2 different events. Once at a early EAA
Ultralight Fly-In, Oshkosh 1980's.
Once at a Engineering Convention at Chicago, McCormick Convention
Hall.
Paul MacCready was a true Original Designer.
He was a very excellent engineering speaker.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...n.com+%2F+News

For us people in Aviation, we will miss him.

Larry Fitzgerald

www.fitzair.net