If I die...

Old December 6th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default If I die...

"Tina" wrote in message
I am reminded of the story told of Bob Hope. When asked where he'd
like to be buried, he said "Surprise me."

As for death? Take me when I wonderful plans for tomorrow, rather than
when all I have are memories of yesterdays, or no memory at all.

I just don't want to end up like either of my parents...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old December 6th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Tina wrote:

Tina;

What would I have to do to get you to stop calling me "Mr. Dudley?" :-))
I'm just plain Dudley really.

I will say however that as a child in a Parochial boarding all boys
Military School; with the name Dudley Arthur Henriques the third, by the
time I reached the seventh grade I had to be either the toughest or the
fastest kid in school. Fortunately for me, I was a bit of both :-))

Well, DAH beats DUH, right? :-)

Matt
Old December 7th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Hey.......I cried when our CAT died for God's sake!!! :-)

Over a decade back, our 16 yr old Schnauzer had to be put to sleep. She was
deaf, 75% blind, had several benign tumors, and her brain had turned to
silly putty. Took her to the vet, went into the exam room, they picked her
up, and I felt the melt down coming, told the vet "I wasn't going to do
this!!!"..... Cried like I hadn't cried for fifty years, and kept it up at
least fifteen minutes - the vet just closed the door and left me alone.
Damn, I'm tearing up just writing this..... But the memories -
unforgettable!

Cheers'n beers.. [_])
Don

BTW - when I go, I'd like to keep it going until *I* decide enough is
enough, don't wake me and pull the plug around 0200. Yeah, right..........

Old December 7th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

There is something ignoble about the sense of gravitas and authority that
people assume with these things.
Its like the NASCAR crowd (the smallest component) that want something
dramatic to happen to fill some kind of Walter-Mitty void in their lives.
Some of the skydiving crowd really gave me the creeps in this regard.

?!? .......Although most incidents in skydiving usually get a transparent,
clinical examination, most jumpers I know just want to have some fun. Just
about all the facts that are learned are laid out for all to see and
evaluate in terms of their own experiences. Any discovered issues concerning
equipment are usually swiftly and openly discussed and addressed by
manufacturers and riggers......just as judgemental or procedural errors on
the part of the involved jumper(s) are also examined in depth. Usually an
unbroken chain of events leading to a fatality can be derived with
reasonable certainty. I certainly don't know any jumpers who just sit around
and dream of ways to put themselves in risky situations just for the
imagined thrill of it. That is not the same as pushing the envelope in an
informed, experimental way to gain knowledge and to go forward with
technology........even if it's in the name of "fun". Good examples are the
recent youtube videos of the wingsuit jumpers or the guy with the jets and
folding wings. I'm sure that data gained from these "stunts" will reappear
in the future in ways that we haven't imagined yet. Just as the relative
safety that the sport enjoys today was paid for by innovation, good or bad,
and by the deaths of people who were just having fun......not pretending to
be some sort of James Bond. I really mean that most skydivers really do take
the risks very seriously and are intimately knowledgable about their
equipment and limitations..............but we're not doing it to scare
ourselves.. we do it because it's a hoot!

Blue Skies! Black Death!.........NO, scrap that! I'll go with.........Blue
Skies! Black Crotchless Underwear!!.

TP

Old December 7th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

ManhattanMan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Hey.......I cried when our CAT died for God's sake!!! :-)

Over a decade back, our 16 yr old Schnauzer had to be put to sleep. She was
deaf, 75% blind, had several benign tumors, and her brain had turned to
silly putty. Took her to the vet, went into the exam room, they picked her
up, and I felt the melt down coming, told the vet "I wasn't going to do
this!!!"..... Cried like I hadn't cried for fifty years, and kept it up at
least fifteen minutes - the vet just closed the door and left me alone.
Damn, I'm tearing up just writing this..... But the memories -
unforgettable!

Cheers'n beers.. [_])
Don

BTW - when I go, I'd like to keep it going until *I* decide enough is
enough, don't wake me and pull the plug around 0200. Yeah, right..........

Somebody once said that pets were the only love money could buy. They
were right.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old December 7th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stella Starr

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
if I had been an astronaut my wife would
have a tape to release to the media with a speech saying, in a nut shell, "I
knew this was dangerous and thought it was worth the risk. Please don't let
my death be used as an excuse to cease or even slow man's exploration of
space."

And don't forget "I don't want anydamnbody filing a lawsuit over my
death. If there's one way I want to be remembered, it's NOT being the
jackpot in the white-trash lottery!"

Old December 7th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Stella Starr wrote in
:

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
if I had been an astronaut my wife would
have a tape to release to the media with a speech saying, in a nut
shell, "I knew this was dangerous and thought it was worth the risk.
Please don't let my death be used as an excuse to cease or even slow
man's exploration of space."

And don't forget "I don't want anydamnbody filing a lawsuit over my
death. If there's one way I want to be remembered, it's NOT being the
jackpot in the white-trash lottery!"

Actually, that I might like, depending..

Maybe I'll go over to McDOnalds when I get old and choke on something.

Bertie
Old December 7th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
AJ

On Dec 6, 10:47 am, wrote:
On Dec 6, 7:38 am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
wrote:

I'd rather have a few seconds of terror
followed by the deep peace that comes
with acceptance of impending death than to
sit in a nursing home waiting for my cancer to eat me alive.

Your comparison completely ignores the decades of life that are likely
lost in a fatal plane crash (on average, crash victims are decades
younger than the life expectancy for adults). Surely that loss far
outweighs any preference one might have concerning the manner of death
itself.

Using Mortimer's example of "sit[ting] in a nursing home waiting for
my cancer to eat me alive," I say death by airplane is better than
death in slow increments anytime. Just as long as I don't take anyone
with me.
Old December 7th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Dec 7, 10:14 am, AJ wrote:
On Dec 6, 10:47 am, wrote:
Your comparison completely ignores the decades of life that are likely
lost in a fatal plane crash (on average, crash victims are decades
younger than the life expectancy for adults). Surely that loss far
outweighs any preference one might have concerning the manner of death
itself.

Using Mortimer's example of "sit[ting] in a nursing home waiting for
my cancer to eat me alive," I say death by airplane is better than
death in slow increments anytime.

But you're just repeating the same manner-of-death comparison, again
ignoring the far more important consideration that's at stake: the
decades of life that could, if not for the fatal crash, precede the
onset of your eventual slow death (or, just as plausibly, your
eventual instant death while you sleep).

I don't question your preference about how to die (though I don't
share it myself). I do question whether it's desirable to forfeit,
say, 25% or more of your life just to secure a death you like better.