Tricky examiners

Old January 3rd 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default Tricky examiners

I've been greatly amused by examiner trick stories lately, like Dudley's
story of an examiner bringing in his child to have the CFI candidate teach
him lift. Or the one where the examiner failed the flaps and asked the
student to find the ground frequency of the airport at the same time to see
the reaction.

What other favorite examiner tricks are out there?

--
Dallas
Old January 3rd 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 3, 12:12*pm, Dallas wrote:
I've been greatly amused by examiner trick stories lately, like Dudley's
story of an examiner bringing in his child to have the CFI candidate teach
him lift. * Or the one where the examiner failed the flaps and asked the
student to find the ground frequency of the airport at the same time to see
the reaction.

What other favorite examiner tricks are out there?

Its pretty common to ask the student to do something in order to
distract them from making a mandatory call or pull the gear breaker.

-Robert
Old January 3rd 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Robert M. Gary wrote:

On Jan 3, 12:12 pm, Dallas wrote:

I've been greatly amused by examiner trick stories lately, like Dudley's
story of an examiner bringing in his child to have the CFI candidate teach
him lift. Or the one where the examiner failed the flaps and asked the
student to find the ground frequency of the airport at the same time to see
the reaction.

What other favorite examiner tricks are out there?

Its pretty common to ask the student to do something in order to
distract them from making a mandatory call or pull the gear breaker.

-Robert

On my commerical checkride, right after completing the unusual attitudes
under the hood, I was given the engine out emergency immediately. I did
all the prep work and set up for an empty field below me. The examiner
asked what was wrong with the airport about 2 miles at my 4 o'clock
position. I made the airport.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old January 3rd 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_1_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 12:12 pm, Dallas wrote:
I've been greatly amused by examiner trick stories lately, like Dudley's
story of an examiner bringing in his child to have the CFI candidate teach
him lift. Or the one where the examiner failed the flaps and asked the
student to find the ground frequency of the airport at the same time to
see
the reaction.

What other favorite examiner tricks are out there?

Its pretty common to ask the student to do something in order to
distract them from making a mandatory call or pull the gear breaker.

-Robert

Correct, ask the student to do something noisy so he can't hear the CB
get pulled. A 15A breaker makes a noticeable Pop. in my case, it was "Let's
go do some clean stalls", which got the gear and stall horns going.

Al G

Old January 3rd 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Dallas wrote:
I've been greatly amused by examiner trick stories lately, like Dudley's
story of an examiner bringing in his child to have the CFI candidate teach
him lift. Or the one where the examiner failed the flaps and asked the
student to find the ground frequency of the airport at the same time to see
the reaction.

What other favorite examiner tricks are out there?

Not really an examiner trick. I was on my final
lesson for my Practical signoff. We were heading
home and the instructor did the obligatory "your
engine just failed" drill.

I did the glide setup, simulated restart, secure
and radio call, estimated and set up a pattern
leaving me a little high and was feeling a little
proud of myself.

The instructor looked at the field and said "I
don't think you can make it".

I looked again, decided again that I might be a
little high, if anything and told him I was pretty
sure I could make it.

He said, "no, I don't think you can make it"

I said, "I'm sure I can make it"

He said, "you can't make it"

I said, "yes I can"

He said, "ok, do it."

I turned to final, made a nice approach and about
20' above the deck he ended the drill.

I said, "you knew I could make it" He said
yeah, but if you ever have a planeload of
people and the engine stops, they will be
yelling and crying that "you're not going to
make it, we're all going to die". I wanted
to see what you'd do.

Old January 3rd 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Dallas wrote:

What other favorite examiner tricks are out there?

After finishing my preflight on my PPL ride, I had to go back inside to
get a hood. While I was inside, the examiner reattached the tail tiedown.
Fortunately, an embarrasing incident as a student had taught me do a quick
review of the exterior before climbing in and firing up. I caught it. He
told me that about half of his examinees didn't catch it.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 4th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Stewart wrote:
Dallas wrote:
[...]

What is it the guy said?
"When I die I hope I go out peacefully like my father did, just passing
on silently in my sleep, not screaming and kicking like the passengers
in his car."
:-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 4th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Jim Stewart wrote:
I said, "you knew I could make it" He said
yeah, but if you ever have a planeload of
people and the engine stops, they will be
yelling and crying that "you're not going to
make it, we're all going to die". I wanted
to see what you'd do.

Obviously he's never had to do it. I have, and trust me, they won't make a
sound.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 4th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Its pretty common to ask the student to do something in order to
distract them from making a mandatory call or pull the gear breaker.

Bear breaker? Har!
Old January 4th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

I turned to final, made a nice approach and about
20' above the deck he ended the drill.

I said, "you knew I could make it" He said
yeah, but if you ever have a planeload of
people and the engine stops, they will be
yelling and crying that "you're not going to
make it, we're all going to die". I wanted
to see what you'd do.

You get yourself too high.. and you will not make it.. you'll dive with too
much speed.. and float in ground effect off the other end of a very short
runway.. seen it happen.

BT