3 lives lost

Old January 19th 05, 08:23 PM
gatt

wrote in message

I did ag flying in the Columbia Basin

How did you get involved with that? If I never flew outside of the
Columbia River region, I still wouldn't get tired of it!

-gattman
PP-ASEL-IA
Troutdale, OR

Old January 19th 05, 08:30 PM

Michael wrote:

In general, Alert Areas have no air-to-ground communication. There

is
no effective way to know if it is hot.

Most of the Alert Areas that I'm familiar with are co-located with a
base that does intensive training. As far as I know, they're always
considered hot.

Perhaps other areas of the country are different, but I haven't yet
run across an alert area that didn't have a frequency you could call to
get advisories within the Alert Area.
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 19th 05, 08:37 PM
Jay Beckman

"Michael" wrote in message
ps.com...
OtisWinslow wrote:
The plane was in an Alert area marked "Intensive Student Training"

and it
was flying at 5000ft. It's on the map. Find out if it's hot before

venturing
around in it.

In general, Alert Areas have no air-to-ground communication. There is
no effective way to know if it is hot.

Michael

I was on a XC from Chandler, AZ to Yuma, AZ a couple of weeks back and my
route took me across the preferred north/south route from Luke AFB to the
R-XXXX areas that make up the bulk of the Goldwater bombing range south and
west of Phoenix.

I was just about to Gila Bend, getting traffic advisories from the
controlers at Luke and I found it interesting that I could also hear traffic
calls that were being made to the flights of F16s that were passing over the
top of me. I guess they must multiplex or piggyback the UHF radios on the
VHF band or vice versa.

It's still one of my favorite things to report "Cessna 564 has the flight of
four in sight."

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old January 19th 05, 08:59 PM
Jay Beckman

wrote in message
oups.com...

Michael wrote:

In general, Alert Areas have no air-to-ground communication. There

is
no effective way to know if it is hot.

Most of the Alert Areas that I'm familiar with are co-located with a
base that does intensive training. As far as I know, they're always
considered hot.

Perhaps other areas of the country are different, but I haven't yet
run across an alert area that didn't have a frequency you could call to
get advisories within the Alert Area.
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Luke AFB has VHF freqs listed for doing just that, don't they John?

Jay B

Old January 19th 05, 09:43 PM

Hey
I have been an ag pilot for hmmmm...since 1966. I was flying out of
Moses Lake in the mid 90's with a turbine Thrush. There is a cargo drop
zone WSW of Moses Lake in the Potholes region where I sprayed a lot of
alfalfa. I enjoyed watching the 141's come over and drop pallets under
canopy. A few times I saw individual troops under canopy, probably
getting in their jump pay drops.
South of Napavine WA is a route following the river east (either the
Cowlitz or the Toutle) and I have seen some exotic aircraft going thru
there like a bat out of hell. Can't forget the time I saw what looked
like a Concorde at about 500'agl going east on the river. Couldn't get
my camera out fast enough to get a shot of it with Mt St Helens in the
background. Still not sure what it was as it was so startling and only
in view for about :10 sec. I was flying a helicopter at the time.
Ol S&B

Old January 19th 05, 10:19 PM

Jay Beckman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Most of the Alert Areas that I'm familiar with are co-located with

base that does intensive training. As far as I know, they're

always
considered hot.

Perhaps other areas of the country are different, but I haven't yet
run across an alert area that didn't have a frequency you could

call to
get advisories within the Alert Area.
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Luke AFB has VHF freqs listed for doing just that, don't they John?

Yep. You call Luke Approach. There are boxes around the Alert Area
on the sectional that give you the frequency.
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 19th 05, 11:55 PM
Blueskies

"OtisWinslow" wrote in message ...
The plane was in an Alert area marked "Intensive Student Training" and it
was flying at 5000ft. It's on the map. Find out if it's hot before venturing
around in it. The military pilots were doing what they do in the area
reserved for them to do it in.

The airspace is not reserved for them to do it in. That is what the restricted areas are for. It is joint use
airspace...

Old January 20th 05, 03:25 AM

Jay Beckman wrote:
"OtisWinslow" wrote in message
The plane was in an Alert area marked "Intensive Student Training"

and it
was flying at 5000ft. It's on the map. Find out if it's hot before
venturing
around in it. The military pilots were doing what they do in the

area
reserved for them to do it in.

"Alert Areas" don't run Hot/Cold do they?

I thought they were there because of the *constant* volume of traffic

and
they are "See and Avoid" for everyone?

Alert Area A-561 ends at 4000' MSL. The Air Tractor was northbound, and
if indeed he was at 5000', that puts him at 1000' above the celing of
the alert area. Curious, if the ag plane were cruising at 5000' then I
wonder if he was on an instrument flight plan, otherwise if VFR, he
should've been 4500 or 5500 depending on course heading.

Old January 20th 05, 05:46 AM
Dave Stadt

"OtisWinslow" wrote in message
The plane was in an Alert area marked "Intensive Student Training" and it
was flying at 5000ft. It's on the map. Find out if it's hot before

venturing
around in it. The military pilots were doing what they do in the area
reserved for them to do it in.

Military pilots have areas set aside for killing civilian pilots?
Interesting.

Old January 20th 05, 05:52 AM
BTIZ

you mean the GA plane managed to T-bone another military aircraft?

Flame on
BT

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Darwin award!

While we are on the topic of stupidity, did everyone notice that the
military managed to t-bone another GA plane yesterday, killing the GA
pilot, while the intrepid combat pilots parachuted to safety..

Denny

3 lives lost Terry Owning 81 January 26th 05 04:39 PM
Lost comms after radar vector Mike Ciholas Instrument Flight Rules 119 January 31st 04 11:39 PM
Soviet Submarines Losses - WWII Mike Yared Military Aviation 4 October 30th 03 03:09 AM