"Movement Area" (airplanes and trucks)

Old November 6th 05, 10:07 PM
Michael Houghton

Default "Movement Area" (airplanes and trucks)

Howdy!

In article . net,
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message

"Movement area" is defined in the Pilot/Controller Glossary. At Renton,
Washington, the whole airport is non-movement except for the runway and
the runup areas. Ground Control will answer if you call, but no calls are
expected. Conflicts between airplanes and vehicles are worked out between
the participants with no input from the tower cab.

FAR 91.129 states "No person may, at any airport with an operating control
tower, operate an aircraft on a runway or taxiway, or take off or land an
aircraft, unless an appropriate clearance is received from ATC." There is
no exception for taxiways designated as nonmovement area.

....and that has bearing how?

Are you claiming that the non-movement area is somehow magically placed
under 91.129? Pray explain clearly how you arrive at that conclusion, or
clearly state that you didn't mean for us to infer that implication.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/
Old November 6th 05, 11:01 PM
Newps

Bob Gardner wrote:
"Movement area" is defined in the Pilot/Controller Glossary. At Renton,
Washington, the whole airport is non-movement except for the runway and the
runup areas. Ground Control will answer if you call, but no calls are
expected. Conflicts between airplanes and vehicles are worked out between
the participants with no input from the tower cab.

Bob Gardner

The airport operator will define what is or isn't a movement area. Some
taxiways are movement areas, some aren't. Usually the operator wants
the taxiways designated as movement areas so they can pin more blame on
the FAA for an incident.
Old November 7th 05, 12:55 AM
Andrew Gideon

Michael Houghton wrote:

Are you claiming that the non-movement area is somehow magically placed
under 91.129? Pray explain clearly how you arrive at that conclusion, or
clearly state that you didn't mean for us to infer that implication.

Well, this was on *taxiway* H. Given the cited wording, how can that be a
nonmovement area?

- Andrew

Old November 7th 05, 01:26 AM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Well, this was on *taxiway* H. Given the cited wording, how can that be a
nonmovement area?

There are "taxiways" and there are "taxiways". What matters is how the
airport operator has defined the non-movement areas. You can easily see
that from the markings on the pavement, or of course you could ask the
controllers or other officials at the airport. Just because a person might
use the word "taxiway" to describe an area on the airport, that doesn't mean
it's subject to the regulation that was quoted.

In this particular case, "taxiway H" does not appear to be charted on the
official chart, and of course without seeing the airport myself, I can't
comment on how it's labeled or marked. However, looking at the airport
diagram it certainly seems plausible that there's an area described as
"taxiway H" but which is really just part of the ramp.

Regardless, there are examples of places where taxiways (that is, long
stretches of pavement on which aircraft are expected to taxi) are simply not
part of the movement area, and are not subject to the regulation that was
quoted. Renton, WA is one such example (already cited in this thread).

If it were true that one could not operate an aircraft on a taxiway that is
within a non-movement area without an ATC clearance, then thousands of
pilots each day would be in violation of that regulation. I personally
don't believe that's the case, so through proof by contradiction, the
regulation doesn't apply to taxiways that are within a non-movement area.

If someone has some compelling evidence to suggest that these thousands of
pilots ARE violating the regulation, and can explain how that could be and
yet the FAA doesn't seem interested in citing any of those pilots, that
might be an interesting topic. But I doubt such evidence will be
forthcoming.

Pete

Old November 7th 05, 03:47 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter Duniho wrote:

There are "taxiways" and there are "taxiways". What matters is how the
airport operator has defined the non-movement areas. You can easily see
that from the markings on the pavement, or of course you could ask the
controllers or other officials at the airport. Just because a person
might use the word "taxiway" to describe an area on the airport, that
doesn't mean it's subject to the regulation that was quoted.

The markings and signage are both consistent with it being a taxiway.

In this particular case, "taxiway H" does not appear to be charted on the
official chart, and of course without seeing the airport myself, I can't
comment on how it's labeled or marked. However, looking at the airport
diagram it certainly seems plausible that there's an area described as
"taxiway H" but which is really just part of the ramp.

Physically, it is "part of the ramp". But there are markings which draw the
distinction.

Regardless, there are examples of places where taxiways (that is, long
stretches of pavement on which aircraft are expected to taxi) are simply
not part of the movement area, and are not subject to the regulation that
was
quoted. Renton, WA is one such example (already cited in this thread).

Looking at the diagram for RNT, taxiways A and B appear similar in structure
to H at CDW. Are they marked at RNT in such a way as to make a distinction
between "the ramp" and "the taxiway"?

- Andrew

Old November 7th 05, 11:06 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

You're pretty funny (read, "idiotic").

Ya think?

The areas within the non-movement area are not defined as "runway" or
"taxiway", with respect to that regulation.

They're not? What are they defined as? What controlled airport has a
runway that is designated as nonmovement area?

Movement (including operation of an aircraft) without a clearance from ATC
happens all the time in non-movement areas at airports all over the
country.

Correct.

It happens that at Renton, they have defined the non-movement
area to include all of the airport except the runway. Technically, that
means that the pavement one taxis on is not a "taxiway".

Oh? Well then what is the pavement that one taxis on in nonmovement area
that is not loading ramps or parking areas called?

You wishing it to be otherwise doesn't make it so.

Agreed. It is the definition of nonmovement area in the Pilot/Controller
Glossary that makes it so.

NONMOVEMENT AREAS- Taxiways and apron (ramp) areas not under the control of
air traffic.

Old November 8th 05, 12:43 AM
james

somewhat related but fun:

i stopped in mexico city en route to Buenos Aires a few weeks back.
they required our Mexicana flight from denver to deplane out on a ramp
in the boonies, as they learned they couldn't match a bag to a person.

we deplaned via stairway, had to stay in a bus for half hour, the (at
dusk), after everyone gathered their bags the two busses went careening
around jets down the mile long terminal.

the roadway next to the taxiway was marked about as well as any other
street in mexico, so i had a great time sitting in the front by the
driver dodging jets, baggage carts, and other assorted big city airport
things

i loved it

Old November 8th 05, 01:14 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...

Parallel to and east of P. It extends between N and D.

I assume it has signage and markings consistent with other taxiways at CDW.
Any idea why taxiway H is not on the airport diagram?

It's the parking area near the east side of 9-27.

Why is it called RN tiedown?

Either H or 4-22, if P is closed anywhere between D and N. One could taxi
north on 4-22, left on B to N, thus keeping use of 4-22 to a minimum.

Those routes require either taxiing on an active runway or crossing it, use
of H requires neither. That's likely why he instructed you to taxi via H to
N to RN tie-down.

Old November 8th 05, 05:17 AM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
gonline.com...
Looking at the diagram for RNT, taxiways A and B appear similar in
structure
to H at CDW. Are they marked at RNT in such a way as to make a
distinction
between "the ramp" and "the taxiway"?

Oddly enough, never actually have I been anywhere off the runway at Renton.
So I don't know what the on-ground signage is. However, since the
"everything but runway as non-movement area" is relatively new, it wouldn't
surprise me to find that the markings are more typical of what one might
find in controlled areas of the airport.

My point is that the regulation that was quoted, asserting that one cannot
operate an aircraft on a taxiway at a controlled airport without an ATC
clearance, is clearly not applicable to taxiways within a non-movement area.
Clearly, at least with respect to that regulation, those "taxiways" are not
defined as "taxiways" for the purpose of that regulation. Even if they are
otherwise exactly like a taxiway in every other respect (including being
called a "taxiway" by ATC).

In your case at KCDW, the important question is whether the boundary of the
non-movement area is clearly marked on the pavement. I don't know whether
it is or not; I suspect that because ATC treats it as a non-movement area,
that it is so marked, but it's possible that it's not.

If it's not, you have a fair grievance in this situation. If it is, then
you don't.

Pete

Old November 8th 05, 05:23 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Michael Houghton" wrote in message
...and that has bearing how?

Why is it you are so often unable to grasp the obvious?

Are you claiming that the non-movement area is somehow magically placed
under 91.129? Pray explain clearly how you arrive at that conclusion, or
clearly state that you didn't mean for us to infer that implication.

No, I'm not claiming that the nonmovement area is somehow magically placed
under FAR 91.129, I'm pointing out that designating taxiways as nonmovement
areas does not remove them from the regulation. FAR 91.129(i) requires a
clearance to operate on a taxiway at any airport with an operating control
tower. It provides no exception for taxiways designated as nonmovement.