"Pakistani" airfield near Toronto?

Old August 7th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

Default "Pakistani" airfield near Toronto?

I was out flying around western New York yesterday, listening to 122.7
which is used for a lot of local airports as a CTAF. As usual, I could
also hear some airports in southern Ontario. But then I heard something
weird - a couple of guys with thick Pakistani accents were on the
frequency, and it sounded like they were calling CTAF at "Pakistan Toronto
Airfield". It also sounded like they were using British-style radio
technique, asking for "landing instructions" and the like.

Is there a flight school or something near Toronto where they train
Pakistani pilots so exclusively that they'd use "Pakistan Toronto
Airfield" as the name on the CTAF?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction into a
Old August 7th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
AJ

Sounds like you made an unexpected turn At the signpost up ahead, you
are entering .. the Twilight Zone!

AJ

Old August 7th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Paul Tomblin wrote:
I was out flying around western New York yesterday, listening to 122.7
which is used for a lot of local airports as a CTAF. As usual, I could
also hear some airports in southern Ontario. But then I heard something
weird - a couple of guys with thick Pakistani accents were on the
frequency, and it sounded like they were calling CTAF at "Pakistan Toronto
Airfield". It also sounded like they were using British-style radio
technique, asking for "landing instructions" and the like.

Is there a flight school or something near Toronto where they train
Pakistani pilots so exclusively that they'd use "Pakistan Toronto
Airfield" as the name on the CTAF?

Just how does one identify a Pakistani accent? Maybe they meant Toronto
Pearson (Int'l)?

Old August 7th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Kingfish" said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
also hear some airports in southern Ontario. But then I heard something
weird - a couple of guys with thick Pakistani accents were on the
frequency, and it sounded like they were calling CTAF at "Pakistan Toronto

Just how does one identify a Pakistani accent? Maybe they meant Toronto

Mostly by the way they say "Pakistan" is if the "P" is almost a "B".
Judging by the people I know, I'd say that trait is much more pronounced
in Pakistanis than Indians.

Pearson (Int'l)?

Not on 122.7 they aren't.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Oh, NT is reliable. You can count on it to keel over under just any
Old August 7th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Byrer

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:32:00 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

I was out flying around western New York yesterday, listening to 122.7
which is used for a lot of local airports as a CTAF. As usual, I could
also hear some airports in southern Ontario. But then I heard something
weird - a couple of guys with thick Pakistani accents were on the
frequency, and it sounded like they were calling CTAF at "Pakistan Toronto
Airfield". It also sounded like they were using British-style radio
technique, asking for "landing instructions" and the like.

Is there a flight school or something near Toronto where they train
Pakistani pilots so exclusively that they'd use "Pakistan Toronto
Airfield" as the name on the CTAF?

Lake Simcoe?
http://www.lakesimcoeairport.com/info.htm
It's the right freq...and the right area.

Say "Lake Simcoe Unicom" fast with a thick accent...????

(OR "Lake Simcoe Toronto"????

got to
http://www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefin...ts_current.pdf

Then search on 122.7 (use "edit-find") Several airports in the
vicinity use 122.7 CTAF.

--Don

Don Byrer KJ5KB
Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy
Glider student & CFI-SEL wannabe
kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."
"Watch out for those doves...smack-smack-smack-smack..."
Old August 8th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Paul Tomblin wrote:

Mostly by the way they say "Pakistan" is if the "P" is almost a "B".

That's more an Arab trait. I remember an incident, shortly upon my
arriving in Khartoum, where our driver in the middle of a journey told
us that he had to bark and bray. Just as I was confirming his intent
and sensibilities, he pulled up to a lay-by, got out and knelt in
silent prayer.

Judging by the people I know, I'd say that trait is much more pronounced
in Pakistanis than Indians.

Indian accents are variegated, depending on which part of the country
you come from, but nearly all of us speak with that thick accent you
mention. I remember how deliberate I need to be when I have to converse
with a westerner. Ask Bob Moore That said, we can pass by unnoticed
in the written form of communication

Ramapriya

Old August 9th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Skywise wrote:
wrote in news:1155030213.693271.154520
@n13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Snipola
Indian accents are variegated, depending on which part of the country you come
from, but nearly all of us speak with that thick accent you mention. I remember how
deliberate I need to be when I have to converse with a westerner.

Snipola

I had heard that part of the problem here is that relative to us American or English
speakers, the Indian language is spoken much quicker, hence when they try to speak
English it comes out too fast. Is this true from your persepective?

Brian

Yes and no. The speed of delivery is but one part of the problem, but
the basic accentuations of most Indian dialects are entirely different
from English. In fact, the dialects of northern and central India,
which are nearly all derived from a language called Sanskrit, have an
accentuation that bears no resemblance at all to southern Indian ones -
but neither set of dialect has resemblance to European languages. It's
nigh on impossible for me to pronounce French or German names and terms
correctly; the roll of the tongue and tone delivery just doesn't come
out right as it does for you folk.

The problem of accent is further perpetuated by our being non-native
English, which entails a continuous pre-speech transliteration in the
brain, which can cause tangible embarrassment at times (I think in
Kannada, for example).

Indians who've lived in the US for about five years or more manage to
hold their own in English, I've noticed.

Ramapriya

Old August 9th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark Morissette

Paul Tomblin wrote:
I was out flying around western New York yesterday, listening to 122.7
which is used for a lot of local airports as a CTAF. As usual, I could
also hear some airports in southern Ontario. But then I heard something
weird - a couple of guys with thick Pakistani accents were on the
frequency, and it sounded like they were calling CTAF at "Pakistan Toronto

Hi Paul;

As noted, 122.7 is a common CTAF here as well.

That aside, I think I can offer some enlightenment on the inordinately
high number of Indian-accented pilots in Southern Ontario recently.

Both UOIT in Oshawa and Centennial college are offering very intensive
commercial pilot training out of CYOO, and a huge number of overseas
students have swamped the courses. At Canadian Flight Academy alone a
huge portion of the current students are of Indian decent, and there is
also the Durham Flight Center participating in these courses.

You probably heard a few of the students out on their cross countries,
perhaps.

As for the wording...I have no idea...perhaps a mix of tough to
distinguish English pronunciation along with added student stumbles on
the radio?