"Lawn Chair, Two O'Clock, One Mile..."

Old May 15th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default "Lawn Chair, Two O'Clock, One Mile..."

On Mon, 14 May 2007 23:59:26 GMT, "flynrider via AviationKB.com"
u32749@uwe wrote in 722fe18ebe14a@uwe:

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Its funny, the TV show "Myth Busters" tried this one and found that it
did not work, they decided it must be a myth. Later they found out it
was real. Odd that these guys couldn't figure out how to get the lift
required of the ballons.

I'm not sure which "Mythbusters" you watch, but on the one I watch, they
were able to duplicate the feat. As I recall, the balloons carried one of
the guys up to the limit of the teather. He then shot the balloons until he
returned to earth. If you were expecting them to cut the chair loose from
the teather, you would have been disappointed, but otherwise, their
experiment confirmed that it was possible.

http://www.tv.com/mythbusters/lawn-c...4/summary.html
Lawn Chair Balloon - Myth Confirmed
Old May 15th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Montblack" wrote in message

Q: Why do you call it an "ultralight"?
A: A Cloudhopper or other small, single-person balloon weighing less than
155 pounds is considered to be an "Ultralight Vehicle" by the FAA, and is
regulated under Part 103. Ultralight airplanes, hang-gliders and
paragliders are other examples of ultralight vehicles. The pilot of an
ultralight vehicle is not required to hold a pilot's license, and the
aircraft itself does not require FAA registration or an airworthiness
certificate.

Q: What's Part 103?
A: Part 103 is the part of the Federal Aviation Regulations that covers
ultralight vehicles. It contains the definition of an ultralight vehicle,
and covers flight rules in a manner similar to Part 91. Grossly
summarized, the rules tell you to stay away from controlled airspace and
"congested areas", and to observe VFR visibility minimums. It's included
in the commercial FAR/AIM books.

Q: Are all Cloudhoppers ultralights?
A: No. If you want a 15 gallon fuel tank, for example, that usually puts
you up over the 155 pound weight limitation, which means you're a regular
aircraft operating under Part 91. Since the two major balloon
manufacturers who make Cloudhoppers don't have standard type certificates
for Cloudhoppers in the U.S., that means you have to register your
Cloudhopper as an Experimental aircraft. This puts operating limitations
on you that are in many ways as restrictive as the rules for ultralights.

We didn't have Part 103 in 1982 did we? I think that happened later in the
80s.

Old May 15th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

Its funny, the TV show "Myth Busters" tried this one and found that it
did not work, they decided it must be a myth. Later they found out it
was real. Odd that these guys couldn't figure out how to get the lift
required of the ballons.

They failed to catapult a man from a manlift on one of their shows also, and
claimed to have disproven it. But I had a close friend who died that way.

Old May 15th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:05:27 -0500, "Maxwell"
wrote in :

We didn't have Part 103 in 1982 did we?

Apparently Part 103 went into effect in September 1982:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...e?OpenFrameSet
09/02/1982
Old May 15th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

wrote in :

We didn't have Part 103 in 1982 did we?

Apparently Part 103 went into effect in September 1982:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...e?OpenFrameSet
09/02/1982

Just a few months too late for Lawnchair Larry.

Thanks.

Old May 15th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
quietguy

On May 14, 5:04 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Its funny, the TV show "Myth Busters" tried this one and found that it
did not work, they decided it must be a myth.

Mr. Gary may have been thinking of another chair-in-the-air
experiment: the "Ming Dynasty Astronaut" segment, in which long-
suffering 'Buster' was dressed in a period costume, strapped to a
replica period rocket-chair and came out the worse for wear (for the
umpteenth time).

Old May 15th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Maxwell" wrote)
They failed to catapult a man from a manlift on one of their shows also,
and claimed to have disproven it. But I had a close friend who died that
way.

Um ....?????

Montblack

Old May 15th 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Maxwell" wrote)
They failed to catapult a man from a manlift on one of their shows also,
and claimed to have disproven it. But I had a close friend who died that
way.

Um ....?????

Something like this: http://www.manliftengineering.com/, for example only.
This company was not involved, and it was a different brand.

The boom type, as opposed to the scissor type.

The myth was someone was trying to remove an engine from a car with one.
During the lift, the rope or cable broke from the engine, and threw the
operator over his house.

They couldn't duplicate it on their show, and considered it busted. But a
good friend of mine was trying to move one in a church that was under
construction. He accidentally drove it into an orchestra pit and was thrown
across the sanctuary.

Old May 15th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 14, 1:30 pm, "d&tm" wrote:
"quietguy" wrote in message

ps.com... John Deakin

included this link in his latest "Pelican's Perch" column
on AvWeb.com:

http://home.earthlink.net/~quade/lawnchair.html

Despite the downbeat ending I find it inspirational: chase that
dream...

They made a movie in Australia about a guy doing the same thing. It

would
never win an Academy award or anything but it was a real fun movie,

about a
guy just chasing a dream.
It is called Danny's Deckchair, and if you are really inspired by what

Larry
Walters did then you would love this movie, although you might not get

some
of the Aussie lingo.
terry

Its funny, the TV show "Myth Busters" tried this one and found that it
did not work, they decided it must be a myth. Later they found out it
was real. Odd that these guys couldn't figure out how to get the lift
required of the ballons.

Calculating the lift is really not that difficult. And even if you cant
calculate it , how hard is it so simply measure the lift of a single balloon
on a scale to determine how many balloons are requried to lift the desired
payload. I remember doing this my 10 year old daughter using party balloons
and a kitchen scale. I recall we calculated about 5000 party balloons were
required to lift a small person.
terry

Old May 15th 07, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

flynrider via AviationKB.com wrote:

I'm not sure which "Mythbusters" you watch, but on the one I watch, they
were able to duplicate the feat. As I recall, the balloons carried one of
the guys up to the limit of the teather. He then shot the balloons until he
returned to earth.

I saw that too.

They had no doubt that it was possible. Adam was lifted quite handily.