"Over time, Mogas deteriorates faster than Avgas"

Old September 15th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default "Over time, Mogas deteriorates faster than Avgas"

This from a thread in rec.aviation.owning:

Leave unleaded mogas in your lawnmower for a year, and it
likely won't start. Autogas lacks the stabilizer package found in
avgas.

You know, I've heard that ever since I started using mogas in my
planes, but I've never seen a cite, nor have I *ever* noticed a
problem with unleaded gasoline in *any* of my lawn mowers, leaf
blowers, or snow blowers.

I put 'em away in the spring/winter, and start 'em up the following
winter/summer -- and away we go. Same with my Honda Goldwing -- I
top
it off, and it just sits till next year. No troubles.

Can anyone point me to anything that proves (or disproves) the "fact"
that unleaded mogas deteriorates faster than avgas?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 15th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:45:13 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

This from a thread in rec.aviation.owning:

Leave unleaded mogas in your lawnmower for a year, and it
likely won't start. Autogas lacks the stabilizer package found in
avgas.

You know, I've heard that ever since I started using mogas in my
planes, but I've never seen a cite, nor have I *ever* noticed a
problem with unleaded gasoline in *any* of my lawn mowers, leaf
blowers, or snow blowers.

I put 'em away in the spring/winter, and start 'em up the following
winter/summer -- and away we go. Same with my Honda Goldwing -- I
top
it off, and it just sits till next year. No troubles.

Can anyone point me to anything that proves (or disproves) the "fact"
that unleaded mogas deteriorates faster than avgas?

One would think this provides the answer....

http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?&verb...er =ADA174091

Chevron says mogas is good for at least a year:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...term_gasoline/

"Chevron gasoline can be stored for a year without deterioration when the
storage conditions are good -- a tightly closed container and moderate
temperatures."

But then, they say that same thing about Avgas:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...8_ag_perf.shtm

"Avgas that has been properly manufactured, stored, and handled should remain
stable for at least one year. "

Ron Wanttaja
Old September 15th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Ron Wanttaja wrote in
:

wrote:

This from a thread in rec.aviation.owning:

Leave unleaded mogas in your lawnmower for a year, and it
likely won't start. Autogas lacks the stabilizer package found in
avgas.

You know, I've heard that ever since I started using mogas in my
planes, but I've never seen a cite, nor have I *ever* noticed a
problem with unleaded gasoline in *any* of my lawn mowers, leaf
blowers, or snow blowers.

I put 'em away in the spring/winter, and start 'em up the following
winter/summer -- and away we go. Same with my Honda Goldwing -- I
top
it off, and it just sits till next year. No troubles.

Can anyone point me to anything that proves (or disproves) the "fact"
that unleaded mogas deteriorates faster than avgas?

One would think this provides the answer....

http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?

&verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&iden
tifier=ADA174091

Chevron says mogas is good for at least a year:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...longterm_gasol

ne/

"Chevron gasoline can be stored for a year without deterioration when
the storage conditions are good -- a tightly closed container and
moderate temperatures."

If you leave it in your airplane, it isn't stored in a tightly closed
container, though, is it? It sure isn't in mine!
I have noticed the difference and found that mogas, having sat in an
airplane for a few months, is a lot harder to get going than equivelant
Avgas in the same airpane.

Might be my own notions based on the info I'd received, but my arms
would disagree!

Also, we have a shell petro-chemical engineer in our circle and he tells
us that the aromatics in mogas evaporate more readily thuus causing the
degradation in quality.
He also gave us a very frightening ocument relating the dangers of the
chemicals in modern mogas! You don't want that stuff on you or in you!

Bertie
Old September 16th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 15, 1:45 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

It depends where you live. Out here in California they put corn or
whatnot in the autogas. If you leave that stuff in your mower or weed
eater for even 30 days you'll spend the next 30 days in the shop. I've
had my current weed eater in the shop 3 times this year just to clear
out the carb due to the crappy gas. The shops recommend always running
then dry and never, ever, storing gas for me than 30 days. Even at
that you need to have the lines cleaned to remove the sludge that the
mogas creates.

-Robert

Old September 16th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ps.com...

It depends where you live. Out here in California they put corn or
whatnot in the autogas. If you leave that stuff in your mower or weed
eater for even 30 days you'll spend the next 30 days in the shop. I've
had my current weed eater in the shop 3 times this year just to clear
out the carb due to the crappy gas. The shops recommend always running
then dry and never, ever, storing gas for me than 30 days. Even at
that you need to have the lines cleaned to remove the sludge that the
mogas creates.

Have you tried 100LL, or racing fuel from a local speed shop? We use so
little in weed eaters and such, it might be worth the price.

Old September 16th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

wrote:

This from a thread in rec.aviation.owning:

Leave unleaded mogas in your lawnmower for a year, and it
likely won't start. Autogas lacks the stabilizer package found in
avgas.

You know, I've heard that ever since I started using mogas in my
planes, but I've never seen a cite, nor have I *ever* noticed a
problem with unleaded gasoline in *any* of my lawn mowers, leaf
blowers, or snow blowers.

I put 'em away in the spring/winter, and start 'em up the following
winter/summer -- and away we go. Same with my Honda Goldwing -- I
top
it off, and it just sits till next year. No troubles.

Can anyone point me to anything that proves (or disproves) the "fact"
that unleaded mogas deteriorates faster than avgas?

in australia at least there are additives in automotive fuel that
degrade on exposure to uv light. this causes a fine flakey sediment to
settle out. this was the cause of 'dont use in aircraft' warnings in
our country.

Stealth Pilot
Old September 16th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

in australia at least there are additives in automotive fuel that
degrade on exposure to uv light. this causes a fine flakey sediment to
settle out. this was the cause of 'dont use in aircraft' warnings in
our country.

They *added* stuff to the gas that causes flakey sediment?

Have you got a cite for that?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 16th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

If you leave it in your airplane, it isn't stored in a tightly closed
container, though, is it? It sure isn't in mine!

Um, well, it's as tightly closed as any vented tank can be. Even gas
station storage tanks aren't sealed tight, or they'd be unable to
expand/contract with temperature changes.

I have noticed the difference and found that mogas, having sat in an
airplane for a few months, is a lot harder to get going than equivelant
Avgas in the same airpane.

I have never noticed the slightest difference. Now, of course, I
don't let my plane sit for months, or even weeks -- but my motorcycle,
convertible, lawn mower(s), lawn blower(s) and vacuum, and snow
blower(s) ALL sit for many months, unused. No problemo starting or
running in the spring/winter.

Also, we have a shell petro-chemical engineer in our circle and he tells
us that the aromatics in mogas evaporate more readily thuus causing the
degradation in quality.

Again, a cite? ANYTHING in writing, ANYWHERE about this problem with
mogas?

For ten years I've been hearing "my buddy the engineer told his
brother that..." -- and, after a decade (and over 9,000 gallons of
trouble-free mogas in our planes) I'm simply not buying it anymore
without SOME kind of evidence.

IMHO, as with so many of these things, we desperately want to believe
that gasoline that costs 25% more is really better in some tangible
way. I have seen no evidence of this, at all, over a decade of use.
That would zero, zilch, nada -- no difference.

Of course, to that end, there are STILL people out there who will pay
a premium for high-octane gasoline for their cars, despite
overwhelming evidence that this is a complete waste of money. The
oil companies just shrug their shoulders, pocket the extra dough, and
keep making commercials touting how their brand "cleans your
injectors", or some other BS.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 16th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Jay Honeck wrote in news:1189950184.266800.205080@
57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

If you leave it in your airplane, it isn't stored in a tightly closed
container, though, is it? It sure isn't in mine!

Um, well, it's as tightly closed as any vented tank can be. Even gas
station storage tanks aren't sealed tight, or they'd be unable to
expand/contract with temperature changes.

True,. I'd be no expert on the subject anyway.

I have noticed the difference and found that mogas, having sat in an
airplane for a few months, is a lot harder to get going than

equivelant
Avgas in the same airpane.

I have never noticed the slightest difference. Now, of course, I
don't let my plane sit for months, or even weeks -- but my motorcycle,
convertible, lawn mower(s), lawn blower(s) and vacuum, and snow
blower(s) ALL sit for many months, unused. No problemo starting or
running in the spring/winter.

I've noticed the opposite with mowers bikes and what not, usually after
more than six months, but they do still start (eventually) and seem to
run fine, but there must be some deterioration taking place. You only
have to let the stuff sit for a couple of years to watch it turn
completely to varnish, so surely there must be some progres made towards
that state in the interim.

Also, we have a shell petro-chemical engineer in our circle and he

tells
us that the aromatics in mogas evaporate more readily thuus causing

the
degradation in quality.

Again, a cite? ANYTHING in writing, ANYWHERE about this problem with
mogas?

I actually do have one somewhere. If I can't lay my hands on it in the
house here, I should be able to get a copy of it somewhere.

For ten years I've been hearing "my buddy the engineer told his
brother that..." -- and, after a decade (and over 9,000 gallons of
trouble-free mogas in our planes) I'm simply not buying it anymore
without SOME kind of evidence.

Up to you, I'm not trying to sell anything anyway..

IMHO, as with so many of these things, we desperately want to believe
that gasoline that costs 25% more is really better in some tangible
way. I have seen no evidence of this, at all, over a decade of use.
That would zero, zilch, nada -- no difference.

Of course, to that end, there are STILL people out there who will pay
a premium for high-octane gasoline for their cars, despite
overwhelming evidence that this is a complete waste of money. The
oil companies just shrug their shoulders, pocket the extra dough, and
keep making commercials touting how their brand "cleans your
injectors", or some other BS.

Well, octane has nothing to do with quality. In fact, any octane present
in fuel has little to do with it's octane rating. Engine octane
requiements are arrived at by feeding an engine a fuel consisting of a
given octane-heptane mixture. The point at which the increaed addition
of octane stops detonation in a specific engine dictates it's octane
rating and the burn rating of the fuel for that specific engine. Lead
was added to boost the octane rating of fuel, but it's not the only way
to increase a fuel's resistance to detonation, thus the newer low lead
fuels we have nowadays.
There are legit additives that keep our engine cleaner nowadays, and
there is no doubt that thye work. Anyone who can remember having to pull
a head off at 50,000 miles for a "de-coke" or whatever you would like to
call scraping the **** off the tops of pistons and heads can attest to
that!

Meanwhile, here's a source I just discovered (but haven't read through
completely) just for fun.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasol.../preamble.html

Some interesting stuff in there.. He refutes what my guy told me about
lead free being more toxic than the old leaded fuels, but of course, as
this guy states in this document, that's not true globally (and my guy
works for Shell outside the US).
Also, he seems to be talking about the resulting product out of ytour
tailpipe, which the document I was talking about agrees with this
osition, merely staing that raw unburnt fuel is more toxic than the old
stuff (IIRC it was particularly dangerous for women and their
reproductive systems) I mentioned that merely because as a group, we, as
pilots tend to get more of the stuff splashed on us than most people (I
certainly do, anyway)
He also explains much more concisely than I have, what exactly an octane
rating is..

Bertie

Old September 16th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:14:12 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

in australia at least there are additives in automotive fuel that
degrade on exposure to uv light.

A lot of transparent fuel tanks in Oz, are there? :-)

Ron Wanttaja