A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Spot tracker renewal

Old August 12th 17, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergreg
external usenet poster

Default Spot tracker renewal

I have had a Spot tracker since 2009 and have never had to use it in an emergency thankfully. Was considering on switching to In-Reach which can be activated for only when I do trips out west once each year. My basic spot charges had increased from around $165 with tracking option in 2009 to close to $200 this year. This was due to undefined surcharges and replacement protection which I had not approved of that had been added to my bill.

Called Spot to cancel my plan which I mentioned as the reason for my call to the agent. I was polite and friendly to the customer rep and they offered to reduce my subscription cost back to the 2009 fee including tracking and additionally offered a $50.00 loyalty discount. I agreed to continue the subscription. Be sure to call prior to your renewal date and talk to customer service, not the billing department.

Called on a Thursday around noon and didn't have to wait too long on hold either as others have had too.

There have been other threads on this topic if you want to get others take on it too.

(F)
Old August 12th 17, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Canceled my Spot subscription today. Tried doing it online message said I had to call. Got a rep instantly, they simply asked if I would renew if they gave me a discount of $65. Said no, and they canceled my subscription(works for the current paid for year.) Have heard the hassle stories, maybe the rep I got was too tired to read the douchy re-up rebuttal scripts.
Old August 12th 17, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 9:34:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Canceled my Spot subscription today. Tried doing it online message said I had to call. Got a rep instantly, they simply asked if I would renew if they gave me a discount of $65. Said no, and they canceled my subscription(works for the current paid for year.) Have heard the hassle stories, maybe the rep I got was too tired to read the douchy re-up rebuttal scripts.

I did cancel my subscription a while ago - or so I thought - and to my surprise - the renewal showed up on my cc bill. Called them and asked to reverse the charge but I was already beyond a certain cut-off date (30 days or so), so no refund. I asked to remove my cc info from their records. That seemed to have done the trick. I didn't see an auto-renewal this year.
The customer service rep I dealt with was very friendly and professional compared to some other d-bags one has to endure at other places.

Uli
'AS'
Old January 7th 18, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Bastids did the same to me. Noticed the charge, called and they said yeah we have a record of you canceling back in August. They did refund my card, and said I was really canceled this time. We'll see. Canceling spot is a fun multi step process.
On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 8:35:25 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 9:34:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I did cancel my subscription a while ago - or so I thought - and to my surprise - the renewal showed up on my cc bill. Called them and asked to reverse the charge but I was already beyond a certain cut-off date (30 days or so), so no refund. I asked to remove my cc info from their records. That seemed to have done the trick. I didn't see an auto-renewal this year.
The customer service rep I dealt with was very friendly and professional compared to some other d-bags one has to endure at other places.

Uli
'AS'