Mystery of crashed glider in Arizona

Old December 8th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Mystery of crashed glider in Arizona

On Dec 8, 12:40*pm, Bob Whelan wrote:
Mike the Strike wrote:
Several of our members have recently been surveying possible landing
strips for our contest database and Steve Koerner came across an old
crashed glider in the Arizona desert.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3676667...7622824263137/

Registration was N71JR.

V-tail, large flaps, no spoilers. *Our best guess so far is some sort
of HP, but the glider construction seems to have been more composite
than aluminum, so this may be off-base.

Suggestions and speculation welcome!

Mike

Assuming this isn't a digital hoax, the only reasonable conclusion is
this was a drug smuggling prototype on a test run.

These guys are no dummies...hence the use of an abandoned N-number, big
flaps for obstructed-approach, short-field landings, outsized nose vent
for hot-country cooling/quick payload dispersal on the off-chance of
interception, and the choice of landing spot.

That noted, I have no clue what this may once have been. If only planes
could talk...

Intriguing find!

Bob W.

Nothing to add except the Creosote (Grease Wood) bushes that appear to
have grown up around it are extremely slow growing. They are
considered by some to be the oldest living things on the planet. It's
easy to believe it's been there over 40 years.

In the early 1960's there were only a few hundred gliders in the US.
It should be possible to find a historical reference to it.
Old December 8th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

I'd say its a Jr. College shop project by the FAA info; Berry C. Vun
Cannon registered it on 8/15/89 and listed it as from the Jr. College
District of Metro KSC, Mo. 3200 Broadway, Kansas City , Mo, 64111
How about a phone call from some of our KC readers? Bet that name and
date could jog some memories.
JJ

Old December 8th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Dec 8, 2:30*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I'd say its a Jr. College shop project by the FAA info; Berry C. Vun
Cannon registered it on 8/15/89 and listed it as from the Jr. College
District of Metro KSC, Mo. 3200 Broadway, Kansas City , Mo, 64111
How about a phone call from some of our KC readers? Bet that name and
date could jog some memories.
JJ

JJ:

We believe it's much older than 1990's vintage and are estimating
1960's to 70's - before the current FAA database.

It's likely a homebrew with some HP similarities, which should fix the
time period.

It was found at a desert strip about 16 miles southwest of Estrella
Sailport, so it's entirely possible that it could have launched from
there.

Mike

Mike

Old December 9th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Junior Team 2007

Come on guys, it's got to be an Edelweiss!

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/...0Edelweiss.jpg

Mike Westbrook
Old December 9th 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David[_12_]

I does look somewhat like the Edelweiss, except that the Edelweiss was
a standard class, no flaps. Perhaps this was an alien (i.e. Roswell
type) modification.

David Martin

Old December 9th 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Default The Winner! Siren Edelweiss (was Mystery of crashed glider inArizona)

And now, the winner of the $2 cigar:

Junior Team 2007 wrote:
Come on guys, it's got to be an Edelweiss!

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/...0Edelweiss.jpg

Mike Westbrook

For this standard class siren c-30S Edelweiss, first product 1963:
65 built...

Brian W
Old December 9th 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Dec 8, 4:50*pm, David wrote:
I does look somewhat like the Edelweiss, except that the Edelweiss was
a standard class, no flaps. *Perhaps this was an alien (i.e. Roswell
type) modification.

David Martin

Also the Edelweiss was a mostly wood ship, except for the ailerons.

My first guess was the Edelweiss also, then I saw the flaps and
notieced that it was not shredded wood on the wings, but paint and
filler.
Old December 9th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Dec 8, 5:18*pm, Mike wrote:
On Dec 8, 4:50*pm, David wrote:

I does look somewhat like the Edelweiss, except that the Edelweiss was
a standard class, no flaps. *Perhaps this was an alien (i.e. Roswell
type) modification.

David Martin

Also the Edelweiss was a mostly wood ship, except for the ailerons.

My first guess was the Edelweiss also, then I saw the flaps and
notieced that it was not shredded wood on the wings, but paint and
filler.

The C34 I believe had flaps

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10983301@N06/2954270888/

Old December 9th 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 8, 3:22*pm, Junior Team 2007
wrote:
Come on guys, it's got to be an Edelweiss!

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/...0Edelweiss.jpg

Mike Westbrook

I don't think it is an Edelweiss, flaps and no top surface spoilers
being one issue as others have mentioned.

But if it is French, I will be outraged and will demand to know what
the SSA is doing about its 3,000 hour inspection!

Darryl

IO-540 mystery Paul Tomblin Owning 27 August 31st 07 08:59 PM
glider transport chicago - arizona BB Soaring 0 February 11th 07 01:01 AM
Mystery Propellor M Pengelly Restoration 7 November 1st 04 09:42 PM
GPS Mystery tony roberts Owning 5 February 3rd 04 01:54 AM
Eta crashed Erich Kohlenberger Soaring 33 October 6th 03 11:56 AM