What First Glider to own?

Old January 3rd 15, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default What First Glider to own?

On Friday, December 10, 2010 8:34:44 AM UTC-8, Sparkorama wrote:

...There's an old Preiss on wingsandwheels.com
that looks interesting since it's a side by
side, but it's one of the HP-14's I think
originally which was converted...

No, that's not how it was.

Bob K.
Old January 5th 15, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 4:19:34 AM UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:39:02 PM UTC-8, ProfChrisReed wrote:
On Dec 6, 10:41*am, Hagbard Celine wrote:

If you're
alright with the heavier rigging an Open Cirrus would be an option
too.

I've flown an Open Cirrus for some years and am very happy with it.

The heavy rigging is not a problem if you make two trestles - even
better with three (the third a low one to take the wing root while you
position yourself to slide it into the fuselage). I've made a simple
mid-wing dolly to take the weight, and can now easily rig solo.

Cockpit is very roomy, except if you're long in the body you may find
headroom very tight. Long legs are no problem at all.

Note that it's a heavy glider with airbrakes that are good enough but
with little in reserve. Speed control is paramount - 5 kts extra can
more than double your float and get you into trouble in a field
landing. However, if you can fly a steady approach you won't have any
problems, just check out the book figures and don't start adding some
speed "for safety".

Otherwise it's easy to fly and performs well if you don't rush it.
Sink rate rises rapidly beyond 60kt, and if you really want to go
places pull the speed back to 50 when (mine at least) gets better than
40:1.

I just looked at a beautifully restored and updated Open Cirrus and noticed 2 things
1. While I'm 6 ft tall but long legged, I was surprised that my head rested against the canopy. This may be remediable as the ship apparently has a modified floor pan.
2. I found the rudder dampers (while sitting in just the cockpit, unassembled, to be VERY stiff.
Any comments, especially on the latter issue
Thanx

I'm 6ft 1 inches, and with the hammock seat my head was too close to the canopy, so I removed the hammock and sit directly on the seat pan. You want to find a fairly reclined position - sitting upright won't work unless you are short bodied.

The rudder damper is a pain - before mine was replaced as worn out, the glider was much nicer to fly. Unfortunately, back in 1967/68 when the Cirrus was the hot racing ship one suffered rudder flutter (probably exceeding Vne by quite some amount) so the damper was added. You get used to it, and it seems less stiff in flight.
Old January 6th 15, 10:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 5, 2015 3:01:01 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Can you tell me how the rudder damper works? Is it at all adjustable? I would probably be buying this Open Cirrus if I was sure the rudder pressure wouldn't be unpleasant. thanx
Old January 6th 15, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:21:07 AM UTC, wrote:
[...]

It should be the steering damper from a late 1960s Volkswagen. Sealed unit, I'm afraid, but it gradually slackens off over time.
Old January 6th 15, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

Before the rudder damper was fitted a number of Open Cirrus
suffered 'soft' rear fuselage twisting flutter. I believe none had
structural damage, but it was unacceptable so the hydraulic
damper was fitted in the centre section.

I found it noticeable on the ground, but not when flying (and I
had one of the extended tip ones, just under 19 metres).

I had some good flying and competition success in it, but it
really needed more wing loading on the good days.

Comfortable cockpit, decent brakes for glass ships of that era
plus the tail-chute for small fields.

Wings not exactly lightweight, but with two trestles I used to rig
with just me and my 11 year old son, and when he was at school
it didn't drive people away at rigging time like the Kestrel 19 did.

The rudder damper is a pain - before mine was replaced as

worn out, the
g=
lider was much nicer to fly. Unfortunately, back in 1967/68

when the
Cirrus=
was the hot racing ship one suffered rudder flutter (probably

exceeding
Vn=
e by quite some amount) so the damper was added. You get

used to it, and
it=
seems less stiff in flight.

Can you tell me how the rudder damper works? Is it at all

adjustable? I
wou=
ld probably be buying this Open Cirrus if I was sure the rudder

pressure
wo=
uldn't be unpleasant. thanx

Nine Glider Tow Wayne Paul Aviation Photos 1 May 13th 09 10:24 PM
F-16 glider [email protected] Soaring 3 January 18th 09 11:32 PM
Exporting a glider to/import a glider into Germany Pete Smith[_2_] Soaring 1 August 8th 08 09:33 AM
Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 20th 06 12:08 AM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 03:05 PM