"On Condition"

Old February 6th 04, 02:33 AM

Default "On Condition"

Wellllll..... we got it....!

A 1974-5 172 M...

Quite nice, got it after a student landed it on the
nosewheel...

Been repaired, flys great, tight & straight..

This Cessna is even WARM! Hadda turn the heat down in -10C
air! (usually I freeze my a-- off in Cessnas around here in the
winter... (!) )

Now.... The engine is "on condition". Starts on about 1/2
revolution of the prop, oil pressure is 1/2 in the green, smooth and
strong, consuming VERY little oil, nothing added (or needed) in the
last 8 hours.

It has 2600 hrs on it since OH, was in a flying training
business so was carefully maintained and flown a lot every week...

We have the $ in the budget for a new/reman/total overhaul,
but reluctant to do it until necessary, especially when it is running
and pulling like it is.....

It will get all the required "on condition" maintenance of
course, and flown by four careful pilots/partners who treat machinery
with the utmost respect and have an "ear" for engines etc., All snags
get immediate attention by a good AME no matter how minor.

Whaddu think?

How long would you run this engine if it is strong, performs
well and meets all the tests?

Dave
Old February 6th 04, 04:12 PM
Dave Butler

Wellllll..... we got it....!

A 1974-5 172 M...

Congratulations!

Quite nice, got it after a student landed it on the
nosewheel...

Been repaired, flys great, tight & straight..

This Cessna is even WARM! Hadda turn the heat down in -10C
air! (usually I freeze my a-- off in Cessnas around here in the
winter... (!) )

Now.... The engine is "on condition". Starts on about 1/2
revolution of the prop, oil pressure is 1/2 in the green, smooth and
strong, consuming VERY little oil, nothing added (or needed) in the
last 8 hours.

It has 2600 hrs on it since OH, was in a flying training
business so was carefully maintained and flown a lot every week...

That's a lot of hours since OH. How many years? It may well have been carefully
maintained, but I personally would not deduce that from the fact that it was in
a flying training business. Some of the most ragged-out airplanes I've seen have
been used in flying training businesses. Also, training means a lot of thermal
cycles from touch-and-go operations.

We have the $ in the budget for a new/reman/total overhaul,
but reluctant to do it until necessary, especially when it is running
and pulling like it is.....

It will get all the required "on condition" maintenance of
course, and flown by four careful pilots/partners who treat machinery
with the utmost respect and have an "ear" for engines etc., All snags
get immediate attention by a good AME no matter how minor.

Whaddu think?

How long would you run this engine if it is strong, performs
well and meets all the tests?

What time is it now? ;-)

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old February 10th 04, 05:54 AM
Doug Campbell

I agree. Bought a 98 182 in 2000, with engine at 2200. Went to 33 hr oil
changes, with analysis, just for extra data. We got 250 hours before a plug
started fouling with oil, and another cylinder pressure was down about 20#.
Decided overhaul made more sense than individual fixes, since we had already
beat the TBO by 450 hrs.
And we had figured the engine in the original price, so we were ready.
Good luck, Doug
"James M. Knox" wrote in message
wrote in news:soq5205rm9dietvjunmq7ce10fambdjcq3@
4ax.com:

Wellllll..... we got it....!

A 1974-5 172 M...
Whaddu think?

How long would you run this engine if it is strong, performs
well and meets all the tests?

Put it on oil analysis. Change the oil and filter regularly (perhaps more
often than you otherwise would), and always cut/examine the filter.

If everything keeps looking good, keep flying and enjoy...

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721