FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

Old August 5th 15, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

The US 15M/Standard Class Nationals required FLARM to be in stealth mode for the duration of the contest. I have to say, I absolutely enjoyed the experience. FLARM became what it was always supposed to be - a collision avoidance tool - rather than a tactical leaching tool. I found that I would get alerts for gliders in the same thermal or approaching/exiting the thermal up to about 1 mile away, but no more. Not a single surprise conflict from a FLARM-equipped glider.

I wonder if others had the same positive experience. I would hope other contests would consider requiring Stealth Mode.

Erik Mann (P3)
Old August 5th 15, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 10:08:08 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
The US 15M/Standard Class Nationals required FLARM to be in stealth mode for the duration of the contest. I have to say, I absolutely enjoyed the experience. FLARM became what it was always supposed to be - a collision avoidance tool - rather than a tactical leaching tool. I found that I would get alerts for gliders in the same thermal or approaching/exiting the thermal up to about 1 mile away, but no more. Not a single surprise conflict from a FLARM-equipped glider.

I wonder if others had the same positive experience. I would hope other contests would consider requiring Stealth Mode.

Erik Mann (P3)

How (or was) was this monitored/enforced?

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old August 5th 15, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 10:29:46 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 10:08:08 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
The US 15M/Standard Class Nationals required FLARM to be in stealth mode for the duration of the contest. I have to say, I absolutely enjoyed the experience. FLARM became what it was always supposed to be - a collision avoidance tool - rather than a tactical leaching tool. I found that I would get alerts for gliders in the same thermal or approaching/exiting the thermal up to about 1 mile away, but no more. Not a single surprise conflict from a FLARM-equipped glider.

I wonder if others had the same positive experience. I would hope other contests would consider requiring Stealth Mode.

Erik Mann (P3)

How (or was) was this monitored/enforced?

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Flarm logs were required at the start of the contest to verify that devices were in Stealth. It was made clear that on any day a compliance log could be requested. On one day all equipped gliders were required to submit logs.
I agree with Erik. Flarm worked as intended and I did not hear on anyone complaining about degraded safety margins.
Well done HH.
UH
Old August 5th 15, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 7:08:08 AM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:
The US 15M/Standard Class Nationals required FLARM to be in stealth mode for the duration of the contest. I have to say, I absolutely enjoyed the experience. FLARM became what it was always supposed to be - a collision avoidance tool - rather than a tactical leaching tool. I found that I would get alerts for gliders in the same thermal or approaching/exiting the thermal up to about 1 mile away, but no more. Not a single surprise conflict from a FLARM-equipped glider.

I wonder if others had the same positive experience. I would hope other contests would consider requiring Stealth Mode.

Erik Mann (P3)

It seems to me this eliminates one of the great advantages of Flarm - situational awareness. With a proper display you always know where the other gliders are around you, no need to wait for the alarm to take evasive action.
Old August 5th 15, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 10:09:22 AM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:

It seems to me this eliminates one of the great advantages of Flarm - situational awareness. With a proper display you always know where the other gliders are around you, no need to wait for the alarm to take evasive action..

And you still have that same situational awareness for any planes near you. You just are not told who it is and how fast they are going up or down. The only thing lost is the ability to change where you go based on information about what the air is doing at some distance away from you.

Old August 5th 15, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Bingo.
Old August 5th 15, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 8:25:10 AM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:
Bingo.

Very good.
Wasn't that the point of the instrument?
Jim
Old August 5th 15, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

=
for the duration of the contest. I have to say, I absolutely enjoyed
the=
experience. FLARM became what it was always supposed to be - a
collisi=
on avoidance tool - rather than a tactical leaching tool. I found

that
=
I would get alerts for gliders in the same thermal or approaching/exiting
t=
he thermal up to about 1 mile away, but no more. Not a single surprise
c=
onflict from a FLARM-equipped glider. =20
=20
I wonder if others had the same positive experience. I would hope

other
=
contests would consider requiring Stealth Mode.=20
=20
=20
Erik Mann (P3)

How (or was) was this monitored/enforced?

-Evan Ludeman / T8

One answer might be:
http://www.spsys.demon.co.uk/softwar...e_Stealthy.exe

Which will report the Stealth State of every IGC file in a folder, with a
few exceptions.

LX7007F,LX7007FC and Colibri 4F do not report the Flarm state in the IGC
file, but the LX7007F (not sure about the others) have a feature whereby
Stealth Mode can be Locked In for N days.

Old August 5th 15, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C

On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 15:08:08 UTC+1, Papa3 wrote:
The US 15M/Standard Class Nationals required FLARM to be in stealth mode for the duration of the contest. I have to say, I absolutely enjoyed the experience. FLARM became what it was always supposed to be - a collision avoidance tool - rather than a tactical leaching tool. I found that I would get alerts for gliders in the same thermal or approaching/exiting the thermal up to about 1 mile away, but no more. Not a single surprise conflict from a FLARM-equipped glider.

I wonder if others had the same positive experience. I would hope other contests would consider requiring Stealth Mode.

Erik Mann (P3)

Note that other planes will NOT have any more warning of you. This has caused issues in the UK, and as a result Stealth is no longer required for competitions.
Old August 5th 15, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 12:45:10 PM UTC-4, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
[...]

Several years ago Urs indicated to me that it was quite practical to configure in Stealth and lock it it the device for a specified period of time(GPS provides the calendar). It would be nice if we could convince the Flarm folks to implement this feature. With this, one check at the start of the race and the scorer is done and there are no concerns about device or log failures.
UH