A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Formula 1.0 Grand Prix

Old December 29th 17, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justin Couch
external usenet poster

Default Formula 1.0 Grand Prix

On Friday, 29 December 2017 14:53:36 UTC+11, JS wrote:

The Formula 1.0 Grand Prix can be followed on Gtrack, link below.
Jim

http://gtracklive.com/event.php?eventID=13

We should finally get our first comp day today - if we can get our gliders out of the mud! Fine orange dust has absorbed about 20mm of rain overnight.. Forecast for the rest of the comp looks good - 7000ft+ days until the end.. Should make for some good flying.
Old December 29th 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 6:53:36 AM UTC+3, JS wrote:
On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 1:34:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I hear what you're saying with regard to the turnpoint handicapping system - it is vaguely complicated. Having said that, spectators will see the gliders leave, and they'll know that whoever crosses the finish line first has won the race.

I think most people would agree that explaining that the first person to cross the line wins is a lot simpler to explain than the conventional system.

We also have very big plans with regard to broadcasting the contest to the masses. Watch this space.

Cheers,
Nick

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 11:05:33 PM UTC+9:30, ND wrote:
this is very cool, and i like the concept from the point of view of participation. the turn-point thing is a little complicated for a spectator though. that's why you bring the fastest pony to the race isn't it?

I think it would be cool to have an IROC style grandprix, where you just have standard cirrus participate. of course, you have to think about wingloading, but that could really show absolute results with respect to pilot ability.

looking forward to following along!

The Formula 1.0 Grand Prix can be followed on Gtrack, link below.
Jim

http://gtracklive.com/event.php?eventID=13

That didn't make much sense. They didn't go anywhere *near* the turnpoints.
Old January 1st 18, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

How close to the turnpoint you go is relative to your glider handicap. Today Libelles turned 3.1km short, and Jantar STD 2/3 turned at 500m.

Old January 1st 18, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

When I said nowhere near, I meant twenty km in the wrong direction.
Old January 2nd 18, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

There's some great coverage coming out of this event. In addition to the live tracking mentioned earlier, there are interviews, superb aerial photography and even live interview inflight. https://www.facebook.com/formula1point0/ If this is soaring being dragged into the 20th century (sic), I like it a lot.

CJ, 'B3'
Old January 5th 18, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 6:12:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
There's some great coverage coming out of this event. In addition to the live tracking mentioned earlier, there are interviews, superb aerial photography and even live interview inflight. https://www.facebook.com/formula1point0/ If this is soaring being dragged into the 20th century (sic), I like it a lot.

CJ, 'B3'

The coverage of Formula 1.0 on Facebook has been incredible! I can't wait to hear form their tech people as to how they managed to obtain LIVE in-flight interviews of the pilots. Tracking for spectators and this type of contest coverage may help sell the sport to Millennials up to about late GenX. We need stories (with visuals) and we need heroes. Every sport has its heroes.

- Chris Schrader
Old January 5th 18, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Stayed up too late watching. Too bad Andy couldn't have caught up and given the leader a run for his money but it was fun watching him try!!
Old January 5th 18, 09:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justin Couch
external usenet poster

On Friday, 5 January 2018 16:28:50 UTC+11, wrote:

The coverage of Formula 1.0 on Facebook has been incredible! I can't wait to hear form their tech people as to how they managed to obtain LIVE in-flight interviews of the pilots. Tracking for spectators and this type of contest coverage may help sell the sport to Millennials up to about late GenX. We need stories (with visuals) and we need heroes. Every sport has its heroes.

Around Leeton the 4G coverage is really good. Then it is just simple hardware with a webcam and a decent antenna and using off the shelf IP video call software. Whole rig cost around AUD$100 to set up.
Old January 5th 18, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

This has been great watching all the live updates on facebook. I sure hope this style of racing catches on here in the states. What handicaping sceme are the using?
Old January 5th 18, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Never mind. I went back to the initial post and see how they are doing it. Great concept. Sure hope someone can put together the same here in the states, but please don't try to include asw20's, discus's etc. its nice to see it exclusively older club class ships although the jantar 3 in my opinion, is pretty high up on the performance scale say compared to a libelle 201. I would hope the handicapping truthfully accounts for that. I know the Carl Herold system we use here, while a pretty good starting place, leaves very much to be desired when it's actually applied.