The Reformed Smoker Challenge

Old December 28th 17, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Reformed Smoker Challenge

But I laugh like hell at guys who fly a bird with 50/1 L/D who think they have done something after a 500k.
Old December 28th 17, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Yep, people look for different challenges. Not much difference at all in skill between an ASW27 and an ASH26, only some convenience in failed attempts.. On the other hand, done in a 1-26 or a hang glider - that is some skill difference. (and I have flown hang gliders and 1-26s without achieving 1000K!).

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 6:47:19 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 3:27:43 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Jfitch, I agree whole heartedly! 1000k has been done a few times in a 1-26 as have just under 50 people who have gotten their diamond badge exclusively in the 1-26. These little machines seperate the men from the boys. I've had glass, sold em and got into redoing all my badges in the 1-26. I'm having a ball and relearning how to soar xc where all that gets you down the road is your witts. Miss a thermal and your looking for a landing spot. Making low saves become a non issue as are outlandings. That becomes half the fun. You can keep the engine, if the tow plane isn't available, my truck, a teenager, and 2000 ft of rope always is. Launching is never a problem.

The hang glider buys will laugh at you all!

Tom

Old December 28th 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 4:51:33 PM UTC-8, wrote:
By a few... you mean once? And it only took 63 years of dedicated discipleship for it to happen!

Twice.
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2....Id=-1819677200
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2....htId=274069465

These pilots must have had to stand up for the entire flight!
Old December 28th 17, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Its more a game of how much bruising you can take from being banged around severely running those ridges.

As for thermal based xc in a 1-26, someone, someday, is going to put all the pieces together and put up a 500 miler. Running a frontal boundary on a long summer day can make it happen.

Dan
Old December 28th 17, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

It's been done more than a few times....
Old December 29th 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]

Anyone going XC in a glider is something to be respected. If you fly a 500k in an Arcus with an up and go you are still the man. You don't need a 1-26 to prove you are a good pilot.
Do the 1-26 pilots feel they don't get enough respect? Come on!! All I have ever heard since starting soaring in 2012 is admiration and damn-near worship of the ship and the pilots that fly them XC...
Old December 29th 17, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Dude, L/D makes a difference.
Period.

Yes, a 1000K is a good flight, sorta depending on where you fly from. Some are easier, some are harder.
I pride myself on doing all SSA badges from my home field from solo to 2 diamonds (missing diamond altitude) and looking to finish that and a 1K distance from "home".

No, not all was in a 1-26, most was.......I bow to Ron S. and others, for for that medal........
Old December 30th 17, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"All I have ever heard since starting soaring in 2012 is admiration and damn-near worship of the ship and the pilots that fly them XC."

Pete your own words tell the story. Since you are new to the sport you came in within the "glass" age and probably have never had the opportunity to fly a 1-26. If you ever do, and if you jump off the cliff like some of us and try to go xc in one, you will then understand why there is a pretty healthy respect for the guys who do remarkable flights in these little machines.

However, I can't agree with your assumption that making a run in an Arcus is a remarkable achievement. Sure I'd love to take one of those ships for an xc romp, but there is absolutely no correlation between a 500k flight in one of them and even a 500k flight in first generation glass like say a 201 libelle or let alone a 1-26. The skills needed to do that in an old libelle or even older 1-26 are many levels higher than what is needed in todays super ships.

Pete, I sure hope you get a chance to give these little ships a try. You will find the xc challenges are very rewarding and the group of guys that fly them are really great. They freely share the knowledge they have gained over the years and are super helpfull. You will not run into any semblance of snobbery whatsoever among their ranks.
Dan
Old December 30th 17, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 4:12:33 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

The challenge (with an intended joke of a name) is not about 1-26s, 2-33s, PW-5s or even OS/X high sierra. It's more about:
I'd sometimes be met on landing the ASH26E by a friend carrying two cold beers. He'd check the temperature of the engine bay doors before handing one over, and rightly so!
May the Schwartz be with you,
Jim
Old December 30th 17, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 6:14:54 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
[...]

Did he check the hood of your car after a retrieve?

I guess if you are saying you started the motor on your 26E and then tried to hide the fact from friends, maybe getting you into a 27 improved your candor. On the few times I've used the engine on my 26Mi for a retrieve, I've made a point of starting it right over the runway, right over my friends (in their 27s) sitting down there waiting for a towplane to come and get them. I call on the CTAF that I am "attempting an engine start" just in case they are looking away. They never come over to feel my engine doors, and I am usually several beers ahead by the time they get back anyway.

challenge me[_4_] Aviation Photos 0 August 5th 07 01:35 PM
Challenge: MI8 (0/1) Dave LaCourse Aviation Photos 0 August 4th 07 01:47 PM
Challenge (1/1) Dave LaCourse Aviation Photos 0 August 4th 07 01:36 PM
Challenge (0/1) Dave LaCourse Aviation Photos 0 August 4th 07 01:36 PM
The Challenge My F-4 James R. Jones Aviation Photos 3 August 4th 07 12:27 AM